ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High idle when cold CLIO 182

Renault Clio 182
I have posted about this a few times now and this still isn't sorted, need some advice

Had my car cammed back in march (438's) on the return journey home I had a missfire changed the coil pack plugs (NGK) lamba sensor before cat and already had a newish set of magnecore leads

None of this worked and it turned out to be an injector so I changed the injector, all was well Then when I started my car in the morning it was ticking over very high this has been happening ever since so I changed the throttle body and the plenum seal re checked all the injectors were seated properly yet still no luck, there are no air leaks and it has a new temp switch, have also changed upper and lower inlet gaskets

This is doing my head in, But I have been told this could be leaking injectors and recently they have been getting noisy, well I think it's noisy injectors

Just to add when the cam's were done the cambelt aux belt water pump dephaser and alternator were changed

The idle has also been lowered to compensate for the high idle but for the first few miles in the morning it still idles around 1900 rpm

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is it on a standard inlet still? I'm assuming so.

Who lowered the idle and how is my main question as this number is ECU determined.

Finally, it only does this at cold yeah and once warmed up it achieves and maintains a stable sub 1k rpm?

Mick
Diamond Motors

Renault Clio 182
Andy at k-tec plugged it in there were no issues from what he could see, after it reaches working temp it seems fine but were the idles been lowered ticks over a bit lumpy, all inlets are standard

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay so im guessing it has been mapped by Andy? If so, has Andy lowered the idle site to make it idle lower?

Renault Clio 182
Yes the car was mapped and cammed by k-tec, Car was perfect until the injector packed up and then the issues started after this was replaced so I went to see andy at k-tec he plugged it in did live data, there was no issue so he lowered the idle to counter act the high idle, but the affect of this is when it is working temp it runs rough on idle as its lower

He shouldn't have lowered the idle imo, surely there is something that is causing it ?

K-tec have just tried to mask the problem instead of trying to locate/correct it, hope you get it sorted

Renault Clio 182
The low idle is no issue it idles like it did on standard cam's, Also when I did see andy this was not booked in to the workshop he plugged in as a favour and he did advise it would have cause issue with idle when running at temp and I agreed to it so there is no issue here with k-tec, My main concern is the idle when cold the car drives itself and its very annoying but I have run out of ideas and before I shell out on new injectors I thought I would see if any one else has had a similar issue

Clio
Is the vacume feed from brake master connected, or not broken?
Or perhaps the fuel fume recirc from the fuel tank disconnected? (not sure if these are on the 182's. I know the 197's do)

To me it sounds like its drawing air past the throttle plenum. So throttle is reading "closed" to ECU, but its getting more air than it expects past throttle, so idle rises.
Perhaps intake manifold gaskets, throttle gasket. Could also be a poorly sealing MAP sensor on your intake manifold, or intake temp sensor?

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
logically, I can only think it's related to the single injector that was changed. Was this new/used/genuine/aftermarket?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm with Dan in this one. As "it" (the high idle) also goes when warm it does sound like a poor seal allowing air to circumvent the inlet track (a leak).

K-Tec really shouldn't have played with the idle IMO but that's deffo not the cause of the issue so start with the last thing done and go from there.

Happy hunting

Mick

HBT 172 Cup
Okay so im guessing it has been mapped by Andy? If so, has Andy lowered the idle site to make it idle lower?

Target idle is raised on the Ktec 438 map, an obscure number of 958rpm sticks in my head.

Should be noted the only strange thing i noticed when i had my car mapped for the cams. Cold idle was spot on, however when you pull away then dip the clutch the idle used to go quite high and hunt up and down 2-3 times before settling down. Only did this for the first minute then was fine.

Is this the same thing you are experiencing?

Renault Clio 182
Exactly what you said Laine, Mine revs higher for 1-2 miles then is perfect and does not drive itself so is this just becuase I have 438's?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It was changed for a new one but not a genuine, just from our local parts factor?

did it look the same? genuine obviously aren't made by renault, so if you've got an OE injector from another source then all good, if it's different, then get 4 the same, or 4 genuine, not mix and match.

The Idle is raised on the 438 map, so Andy will have lowered it back to standard on the understanding that this might make idle a bit rougher. It's kind of a bi-product of having cams that are fairly agressive. Without raised idle and some small tweaks to increase anti-stall you would be stalling at junctions frequently. My gut instinct is tellling me there's something odd with the new injector you've fitted

Renault Clio 182
Dan can you tell me what the idle should be with the 438 cams? And it seems to be pointing that way reg the injector- I have called renparts and ordered a set of injectors they come with warrenty ect but I will try these and see if there is any difference

HBT 172 Cup
Exactly what you said Laine, Mine revs higher for 1-2 miles then is perfect and does not drive itself so is this just becuase I have 438's?

Almost certainly yes as mine was exactly the same. Didnt really bother me that much, just a trait of the map by the looks of it.

340i
did it look the same? genuine obviously aren't made by renault, so if you've got an OE injector from another source then all good, if it's different, then get 4 the same, or 4 genuine, not mix and match.

The Idle is raised on the 438 map, so Andy will have lowered it back to standard on the understanding that this might make idle a bit rougher. It's kind of a bi-product of having cams that are fairly agressive. Without raised idle and some small tweaks to increase anti-stall you would be stalling at junctions frequently. My gut instinct is tellling me there's something odd with the new injector you've fitted

Exactly my thoughts from reading the rest of the thread.

Renault Clio 182
I see well I have got another set of injectors on the way but im guessing you are right with it being a 438 thing

Renault Clio 182
I dont't disagree but it was running fine up until the injector packed up, On the other hand It could be That I only picked up on it after the injector packed up and it was there all along we will see.