ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High mileage 172, worth buying?

172 ph2
looking to buy a very cheap 172 ph1 with 120k on the clock, the worse it has NOT had any service for the past 20k miles!!
knowing F4R isn't the most reliable engine but not too fragile, too
would the car be okay? will I need to dish out big notes for the car soon ish?
the guy told me he's just had clutch changed and cambelt done at 95k
pad and disk are all okay, the mileage build up from motor way driving...
anyone have any idea or experience, if I should get that 172??

Ad

MK2 FRS
is it the one on pistonheads, youd have to see it and hear it, 20k is massive, especially if tis motorway and the period of time isnt too long.

www.renparts.co.uk
how cheap is it? worst case scenario you will have to spend 700 having another engine fitted. Worth the risk if it runs sweet atm imo........ i would recommend having the cambelt done as well so bugdet for that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
the thing is with high mileage stuff, is that when you come to sell it, you will get stuck with it. think, if you put 20k on it, who will buy a 140,000 mile clio??
I've just bought a 100,000 miler 172 but its going to be used as a track car, soresale value isn't an issue.

www.renparts.co.uk
the thing is with high mileage stuff, is that when you come to sell it, you will get stuck with it. think, if you put 20k on it, who will buy a 140,000 mile clio??
I've just bought a 100,000 miler 172 but its going to be used as a track car, soresale value isn't an issue.

yeh you speak the truth, if its mega cheap like under 2k then you can't really lose imo.....

172 ph2
thx guys! yeah i saw it on pistonheads. it's cheap but not as cheap as under 2k, guy's asking 2300. the owner only have service record form 70k-95k and 6 onwers as well :(
the problem is unless the engine runs really bad, i might not be able to tell if it's going to pop or not?
who's got sound track of f4r engine bottom end knocking? lol
anything I should look out for?

Last edited:
  172 ph2
resale value is important to me, I usually do 7k a year, and might looking to sell it next year..

but if I can get it for under 2k then it would be worth it wouldn't it? as long as the engine won't die on me

Mercedes C Class Sport
well £2300 and say plus 700 (as said above) for a new engine is cheaper than most other ph1s

It's not just the engine though is it? You might end up with bills for a whole host of other stuff.

Only you can decide if the risk's worth taking but with the lack of history I reckon you'll find yourself spending money on it sooner rather than later.

FN2 Type R GT
Surely wen it comes to resale, if youve done say 150,000 miles then you could surely break it for parts and get your money back that way? and even make a bit?

www.renparts.co.uk
tbh unless you were going to track it i would spend some more.... depends if you ever want to sell it... if you could get it for 2k it wouldn't matter to me imo.. worth the risk.... the fact its not had an oil change for 20k isn't the end of the world imo.... just test drive it.. and tell him not to warm it up before you arrive...

53 Clio's & counting
i bought my fsh 2001 ph1 172 in blk with 98k on it for just over 2k mate if that helps you haggle lol

Valver
Tbh 120k with FSH id still be a lil wary, let alone with no history, stay well clear! Those engines get ragged and are 'performance' engines, not servicing one for 20K isn't going to be good and no doubt could lead to engine problems in the near future specially at that mileage!

Could buy it and fit a new engine that would push the resale value up a bit I would imagine? Still £2300 is a bit steep?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If its got so little history and so many owners combined then Id leave well alont tbh, you'd end up with massive problems trying to sell it on I reckon

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Engines are strong as an ox, its everything else around it lol. The not serviced in 20k bit is a worry though