ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High mileage trophy

I can assure you guys I am not a troll or winding anyone up, I just came on here for advice as I have never owned a renault and as previously stated ive only had experience of vauxhalls and fords. I have been looking for a 2.0 n/a hatch but i'll be honest and say I had my heart set on a ctr ep3 but this cannot be passed up if my offer is accepted.

As for buy it now etc its not that easy as the car is still in daily use by a member of staff and the company is open to offers around £1900 and it doesnt help that the person dealing with all of this is having a day today argh!!.

From what I can make out the company are trying to get shot of it due to it failing a recent mot + the quoted amount in parts alone from Renault to get it through is making them cringe, as you know companies tend to stick to main dealers etc and this is the reason why I think they are letting it go for sod all.

I will hopefully hear more about it tomorrow as I have not seen any paperwork as of yet.

I agree it is too good to be true so thats why i'm undecided, i'd rather not break it as it means it is one less rare car on the road which I do not want :nono:.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Get them to SORN it, buy it off them for £1600 odd, get it fixed for much less than a stealer would charge, Jobs a goodun

Cayman S Edition 1
Get yourself on cliotrophy.co.uk. Also find our what number it is as we have an owners register on there. Would be great to add another one to the list!

Sounds like the car needs some TLC, but once fixed its gonna be a cracker of a car mate. Just had my shocks refurbed last month and its tightened everything up again.

Good luck!

53 Clio's & counting
as long as its been looked after it should be ok mate, but as we have not seen the car we can only generally comment.

My 172 is swiftly coming up on 133,000 miles and still runs really well, this one your talking about may be going but could be on its last legs,if it had a well serviced, not ragged from cold type of owner then 170k 'should' be ok, i would happily buy it for that mileage, but if its had a good ragging every day (which we dont know ) then it could be a ticking time bomb

But having said that, for that price i would buy it, and if it will cost too much to get it back up together, then either sell it or strip it, yes it would be a really big shame to strip it, but if it turns out to be a dog then it will be worth more in parts and if you dont strip it and make good money someone else will

Fingers crossed its ok and will do you well mate

Albi blue 197
Afternoon all,

First poster long time lurker :cool:, I have been offered a 55 plate trophy which looks straight and true however as it was a company car it has huge mileage, it has recently just had the front shocks replaced which i've read is a fair chunk of money alone.

my question is.. would you buy an ex company car with 170k on it? (1 owner), it has a full service history, tax till this time next year and mot is due in a week.

As I understand a decent one goes for 7.5-8.5k but would would you guys reckon this would be worth? thats even if it passes the mot!

I will check when the auxilary and cam belts were changed and also the gearbox was replaced tomorrow.

any help would be much appreciated thanks

where you from and whats the company called i want it!!!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Buy the car 'as is'-

The sachs suspension can be sorted by BG motorsport for around £500 Sobs-

The other bits- are perishable items & can replaced...
Get in & buy it-

S

Buy it! As said already it's worth more than that in parts alone, so even if you don't bother getting it M.O.T'd you'll still make a bit of cash off it.

Better than yours. C*nt.
If you don't want to then I'll make a quick buck, buy it for £1500, spend £1500 fixing it and sell it for £6000 and it'll last a day on PistonHeads anyway!

Alfa Romeo 145 QV
If its covered 170k in 4 years, then its likely to be all motorway mileage which causes very little stress or wear on the engine anyway.

Buy it, its dirt cheap and you will have a great time. Dont worry about engine transplants or breaking the car, if its been serviced properly (its a company car so it will have been) then it should run spot on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you buy it for £1500 I'll give you £2k for it. I'll even collect it!

320d
I'd buy it 100%. I'd take the ph1 off the road, drive the Trophy untill something expensive breaks then break it for parts and get all of my money back.

I'd think of it as somebody lending you a Trophy for free.

Sounds too good to be true in retrospect.
Probably a capsicum red campus sport lol.
And I think rust is the only thing modern renaults don't suffer with?!
If it has full renault main dealer service history might be worth looking into the anti perforation warranty.

Clio 182
Rust ???? sounds to good to be true........ if it is true I'll have it if you dont want it LOL

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
LOL get some pics of the steering wheel. I bet that is in mint condition.

Cayman S Edition 1
Can't believe there's talk of breaking a Trophy. Surely RS fans would make every effort to restore it to its original state?

arctic 182 ff
be silly not to buy that as most people have said.best thing for a car is motorway miles good luck !!!

Clio 172 Cup!
Lets get real here who is going to want parts that have done 170k them seats will be well worn how many farts has a 170k seat absorbed in its time!
20.gif

Trophy #490
Can't believe there's talk of breaking a Trophy. Surely RS fans would make every effort to restore it to its original state?

Agreed, this is CS though so I'm not surprised.....

I wouldn't think of breaking it, if it's a genuine car I'd have it without a second thought for that price. If the gearbox has been replaced and the dampers have been refurbed, GET IT BOUGHT!

Buy it, track it, enjoy it. For £1900 (less maybe if you haggle, the mileage is the perfect bargaining tool) it's worth a go without a doubt.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
why not its a modern car if it wasnt on its original gearbox after 170k genuine miles id be questioning why not ;)

my last diesel clio was on 160k or there abouts and was fine :) similar gearbox

Turbos.
Lets get real here who is going to want parts that have done 170k them seats will be well worn how many farts has a 170k seat absorbed in its time!
20.gif

Those miles are hardly 5 up though, i imagine the passenger and rear seats have similar wear to any other Trophy.

The wheels, rear spoiler etc. have value in them.

Morning guys,

Cheers for the replies I "think" i've got an idea of what I should do!! :rasp:,

I now have the history and will have a look at the service book today, from what the guy has said it is the original gearbox gulp, cam belts have been changed at 80k and 130k with some history (a chunk of paperwork is missing as it was serviced closer to where the guy lives in the midlands)

And the rust is on the exhaust and I am not sure which section as of yet. two new front tyres needed also other than that its looking good.

Anyway an offer is in so i'll keep you guys posted, and thanks for the pm's I recieved :D

Apologies for the poor quality pictures;

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg