ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High performance pads that still cope on the road.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I know i'm gonna get trashed for this, but have you considered ebc yellow?

I wanna see other's experience with these pads before I type my opinion on it.

I ran them in the rear of my Impreza many moons ago. I know things don’t stay the same always and products get developed. However my experience of EBC wasn’t a remarkable one. They did the job for what I needed at the time. I guess it’s difficult to comment about a pads true characteristics when it’s in the rear unless it an extreme characteristic.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I've only owned a Clio for 200 miles so can't offer specific advice for this platform, other that the DS1.11s on my car have incredible bite but are incredibly loud when warm.

As others have said, performance comes at a price in terms of dust and disc wear. There is no pad that offers better performance than DS2500 with comparably low dust. So it's a matter of working out how much dust and disc wear you are willing to tolerate, versus how much performance you want.

I agree and disagree.
Performance comes at a price I agree. However, not all high performance pads have corrosive dust and eat discs. Case in point as I’ve said is the RSL29 from Pagid.
Im just seeing what else Clio owners are using and to what effect that offer high performance without eating the paint fr my wheels.

I might have to give the RSL29 a shot. That’s a pad I’ve not tried - all of the others I’ve ever used which give me the stopping power I need have been corrosive particularly if driving in the wet. I haven’t used XP8, but XP10s are pretty bad on both discs and wheels.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I might have to give the RSL29 a shot. That’s a pad I’ve not tried - all of the others I’ve ever used which give me the stopping power I need have been corrosive particularly if driving in the wet. I haven’t used XP8, but XP10s are pretty bad on both discs and wheels.
Ive been running XP10's since July last year.. Ive done about 10 full trackdays and about 300 road miles.. My car is a trailer queen and used as a trackcar only so i drive it pretty hard on track.. Im still on the same set of Brembo hc's that seen 7 previous trackdays, using 2 sets of PBS, previous to the XP10's going on.. The discs are still very usable and my Black TD 1.2s have not been harmed..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I’ve not used XP10s on a Clio, only Imprezas. Really surprised to hear this feedback tbh as it’s totally different from my experience, but it’s good to hear. I got into the habit of cleaning my Impreza wheels after every drive. Also pretty encouraging that you can get 10 trackdays from a set of XP10s in a Clio!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I’ve not used XP10s on a Clio, only Imprezas. Really surprised to hear this feedback tbh as it’s totally different from my experience, but it’s good to hear. I got into the habit of cleaning my Impreza wheels after every drive. Also pretty encouraging that you can get 10 trackdays from a set of XP10s in a Clio!
Yea after the PBS only lasting 3 days, ive been pleasantly surprised with the XP10's longevity.. And id say theyre about half way dead.. After id killed the second set off PBS i was actually going to try Carbon lorraine CL6, but after hearing that they fall apart/crumble after wet use i went with Carbotech.. I will add that they are expensive at just over £200 but id definitely recommend them.. Ah you say Impreza.. Ive had 3 back in the day.. And tbf i also remember that the wheels would stain/mark quite irritatingly badly with just standard OE pads..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

CL RC6 were the absolute worst for dust on my hawkeye. The sintered material eats wheels like you would not believe. Performance comparable to XP10s but significantly faster wear. Overall XP10 is my favourite compound of all the ones I’ve tried.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Performance Friction 01s were my favourite. More aggressive retardation from a set of those in my Clio than my 356mm 6 pot APs in my Impreza with DS2500.
They did eat a set of HCs in 12k road miles though and had to refurb both sets of wheels. 😅

The Pagids are around £270 so the Carbotechs are pretty reasonable I think.

My personal experience with yellow stuff is quite good i would say.
I have them in combination with brembo maxx slotted discs, braided lines, and now rbf 660.
Before that it was ate typ200 wich i managed to boil in less then 6 months..

Pads are quite dusty, literally 3 harder braking and you will have some dust on your wheels, but it washes away quite easily and does not eat the paint.
Have them on the car for 15k miles and they are about half of their life, the dics is almost like new. I dont do track days but 60% of that miles were spirited on the roads. Never squeel and didn't experienced brake fade ( except when ate was boiled ). Was always qurious how would they compare to ds2500, but never managed to experience that pad in clio sport..

Would i reccomend them? I would, but then again I dont have many experience with high perf. pads..

Cheers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Different car but I use EBC Yellowstuff on mine and they’re great for me. Take little warming up, don’t dust too badly and work well enough for hard road driving.

I wouldn’t say they’re miles better than DS2500 but they’re definitely better.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I had pbs front and back fitted in December 2018. They're still full of life, a little dusty but not bad

Mintex M1144 and Brembo HC on front, OEM discs and pads on rear is what I ordered again off @George@RTR_Parts not fitted fronts yet as awaiting when/if season starts. Work from cold and short stints on track as race in sprints and it's my daily. Cheaper than most you've mentioned, next to no noise, much better than DS2500 for dust I've had on previous cars. I couldn't justify step up in cost to DS1.11

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
It's hourses for courses with pads. like with most modifcations, what makes the car better on track, makes it a little less easy to live with as a daily

Sealing of wheels, and regularly cleaning helps with the dust. The noise is relative to what you're used to, I've run uprated pads for that long I don't really notice them

Personal preference comes into it of , a bit like with tyres in that respect. Some rate some, while other slate them

If you are planning to do plenty track days the endurance type pads like the RSL29 and DS1.11, do make sense as they wear well and are generally kind on discs. i supply a lot of the DS1.11 to track and front running race cars , and run them myself, I just really get on with them as they suit my driving style

better rear pads, do help scrub speed off, keep the car braking flatter , and will wear better as not at their upper temp limit (but cost more initially)

Compound wise, on a FWD hot hatch "text book" would be like below

front DS1.11 + rear DS2500
front M1155 + rear M1144

and so on (y)

Can PM me for prices/info @frayz as you know mate

172 Cup
My last Titanium 182 came with Mintex 1144’s on HC discs and I was really impressed with the performance - just a little noisy.

That’s the setup I’ve got on mine Mossy. I can’t speak for track but on the road they are fantastic. Sometimes a little squeal but mostly silent.

Clio 172
It's hourses for courses with pads. like with most modifcations, what makes the car better on track, makes it a little less easy to live with as a daily

Sealing of wheels, and regularly cleaning helps with the dust. The noise is relative to what you're used to, I've run uprated pads for that long I don't really notice them

Personal preference comes into it of , a bit like with tyres in that respect. Some rate some, while other slate them

If you are planning to do plenty track days the endurance type pads like the RSL29 and DS1.11, do make sense as they wear well and are generally kind on discs. i supply a lot of the DS1.11 to track and front running race cars , and run them myself, I just really get on with them as they suit my driving style

better rear pads, do help scrub speed off, keep the car braking flatter , and will wear better as not at their upper temp limit (but cost more initially)

front M1155 + rear M1144

and so on (y)

Hi George
Can you PM me prices please for Front DS1.11 and rear DS2500 for a Ph2 clio 172 please.
Cheers
Josh

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

front M1155 + rear M1144

and so on (y)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply George. As for noise, I’m not that bothered. Like you I’ve run performance pads in every car so I’m used to it. Having said that I’ve never had RS29s squeal in any of my cars. The Cayman squeals if I brake when reversing oddly lol.
Dust, again, I don’t mind dust, I just don’t want it eating the paintwork. My car gets cleaned weekly sometimes more than once a week so cleaning isn’t an issue. Even with lots and lost of cleaning, the PF01s took over and I couldn’t remove the dust they created.
Cost within reason isn’t an issue, I just want the best I can for the performance. As it stands right now, I’m leaning towards what I know I like best and that’s the Pagid RS/RSL range.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Haven't read any of the comments but
DS2500, you're right, they're woeful.
Had CL RC5+ on a road car and they're brilliant but the dust is pretty bad
RC6 in Marts car are incredible and will be my next pad for the cup, unless RC8 prices drop a bit. Squeal a lot on the road and quite embarrassing to drive around with.
CLs seem to have a reputation for removing the material from the backing plate but I can't say I've seen it myself. You need to clean the groove out regularly as it will clog with dust.
DS1.11 don't make noise and the dust isn't horrendous. Don't feel as good as the CLs and the coef of friction isn't quite there. Pretty pricey but good all round.

I think all of the above except the DS2500 aren't laminated so aren't perfect for a road car.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the superb responses guys. Out of interest, what are you running on the rear to go with your front pads of choice?
I've rarely ever had to do rear pads in any of my Clio's as they last so long but I done a pair of rear discs a few years back and stuck a set of pads in, at the time I was fully aware of the "just fit the std pads they don't do anything" and the only "uprated" pads I could find were EBC green stuff which, I had tried in the front of a car in the early 2000'sand they were average at best, but on the rear of the Clio the car felt great under breaking it felt more like I had adjusted towards a tad more rear bias. Possibly it was just that the old pads and discs were that fucked that a setup that does very little was doing even less but im going to try it on the van and see how it goes again.

Im a big fan of 1144 for the road, all my fast road clios have ran them.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
god rear pads! I've never even considered changing them, buy the cheapest and thickest possible and never replace them.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
god rear pads! I've never even considered changing them, buy the cheapest and thickest possible and never replace them.
Perhaps you should try something with more bite. I’d say you’re missing out in free performance improvement there.
I know when I went from having 360mm AP 6 pots on the Impreza on the front only with standard brembo rears to fitting 330mm 4 pot AP rears the difference was significant in terms of stability under braking. Yes that’s a bigger 4wd saloon, but the principals are the same.
Even more so now you’re running a turbocharged Motor.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Perhaps you should try something with more bite. I’d say you’re missing out in free performance improvement there.
I know when I went from having 360mm AP 6 pots on the Impreza on the front only with standard brembo rears to fitting 330mm 4 pot AP rears the difference was significant in terms of stability under braking. Yes that’s a bigger 4wd saloon, but the principals are the same.
Even more so now you’re running a turbocharged Motor.
Well you raise a good point there I probably should consider something different but the rear is so unbelievably light that the back almost does nothing, even more so when the weight is transferred to the front. I think on a more balance car like a saloon it would make a lot of difference. I definitely need more front brake and cooling now it's turbo though. The speeds it's trying to scrub off are pushing the limits of the current set up.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think you’d be surprised at the difference with a proper rear setup. Yes the rear is light and yes the weight transfer moves to the front. But I dare say a lot less weight than a standard car due to the increase in spring rates you're undoubtedly running. So the pitch of the car will be reduced keeping the car flatter under braking. Also having more bite on the rear will pull the back end down and help with stability and ultimately improve confidence in the car.

My theory of the reason people have bought into the whole “the rear does nothing” idea is because with significantly improved braking up front and crap £15 quid pads in the back, the rear really is doing nothing. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
I remember fitting some new std brembo pads to the rear a while back, I take it they also have that bedding in layer that has loads of bite as the braking felt superb for about 30 miles :rolleyes:

Im going to go 197 calipers (38mm bore) with pagid rs-4-2 on the rears. Also ever so slightly smaller I/D brake line to the rears. The caliper bore and brake line should help the bias as the rears wont want to lock up as quick, although the pads might negate that bias it should still feel a lot better.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
My theory of the reason people have bought into the whole “the rear does nothing” idea is because with significantly improved braking up front and crap £15 quid pads in the back, the rear really is doing nothing. 🤷🏽‍♂️
This, and also because Fred said so in 2007 lol

As I said above my rear was doing nothing as could be seen from the surface rust on my discs lol but afterwords it felt like the car was hunkering down under breaking rather than nose diving and going light at the rear

Clio 197,with megan'
I run DS 1.11 in the Meglio, no squeal, excellent stopping power cold or hot, and they are used for Tesco, or the Track, BUT they have not been kind to the Alloys. I never experienced brake fade, or shuddering on track.My braking is get on, get off brakes, don't linger!. My son is now using Winmax, and prefers them over the DS 1.11, but a bit on the expensive side.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
@frayz - So after this minefield of a thread have you got any further on thoughts for a fast road pad? After getting back into the Clio I've found my brakes just seem to lack that bit of bite even with fresh fluid.

I'm currently just running ECP Pagid pads for the road and have just ordered some TRW road pads due to some good feedback on this forum (I managed to get a set for £12 on eBay lol so thought why not).

M1144, M1155, mixed feedback and some reviews about squealing.
DS2500 - similar to the above really.
PBS ProTrack - no feedback at the moment but concerned they could be noisy.

Then you're going up the ladder toward serious track pads which I would rather avoid, as much as I like my DS1.11s and the bite is amazing, I cannot live with them on the road.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
@frayz - So after this minefield of a thread have you got any further on thoughts for a fast road pad? After getting back into the Clio I've found my brakes just seem to lack that bit of bite even with fresh fluid.

I'm currently just running ECP Pagid pads for the road and have just ordered some TRW road pads due to some good feedback on this forum (I managed to get a set for £12 on eBay lol so thought why not).

M1144, M1155, mixed feedback and some reviews about squealing.
DS2500 - similar to the above really.
PBS ProTrack - no feedback at the moment but concerned they could be noisy.

Then you're going up the ladder toward serious track pads which I would rather avoid, as much as I like my DS1.11s and the bite is amazing, I cannot live with them on the road.

Funny you ask mate as i am waiting for them to be delivered. I have kind of chickened out and gone with what i know works and i like.
Ive gone back to Pagid and after numerous discussions it took me little time to decide on them as i just love them.
So opted for RSL29s up front and the RS4-2 for the rear. Not the cheapest route i could have taken but without question i know they will perform, last and not eat my paint.

Just as a bit of an exercise myself i put in my OEM road spec Brembos up front and some DS2500s in the rear just to see how much difference rear pads make. Now i've made no reservations for how much i dislike DS2500, but they are a undoubtedly a marked step on from stock in terms of friction and bite. The braking with them in the rear is quite noticeable as you actually feel the rear working quite well.

I just wanted to see for myself just how much of "nothing" goes on at the rear axle and my conclusion is actually quite a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: MLB

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Funny you ask mate as i am waiting for them to be delivered. I have kind of chickened out and gone with what i know works and i like.
Ive gone back to Pagid and after numerous discussions it took me little time to decide on them as i just love them.
So opted for RSL29s up front and the RS2-2 for the rear. Not the cheapest route i could have taken but without question i know they will perform, last and not eat my paint.

Just as a bit of an exercise myself i put in my OEM road spec Brembos up front and some DS2500s in the rear just to see how much difference rear pads make. Now i've made no reservations for how much i dislike DS2500, but they are a undoubtedly a marked step on from stock in terms of friction and bite. The braking with them in the rear is quite noticeable as you actually feel the rear working quite well.

I just wanted to see for myself just how much of "nothing" goes on at the rear axle and my conclusion is actually quite a lot.

Be interested to hear how you get on with those Pagids then, certainly an expensive pad combo haha! I have to say, I have fallen into that camp regarding rear pads, even on track I run DS1.11s fronts and standard pagid rears. This would effectively really change the bias in terms of braking force, I will definitely get some better rear pads that can stay in 24/7 based on your thoughts.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
rear pads do enough to make a difference. I'm looking at whether I can use my suspension design going on my Trophy to allow more aggressive pads/bias to make them work harder still.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
@frayz ive found the 1155 unreal on the road and track - trumps the ds2500 - I’ve had both. You do get some squeal from the 1155, but the bite they give more than makes up for that.

1155’a blew my mind how much more confidence I had in braking distances. When they’re up to temp, they were amazing. I’d get no fade from them even from 140mph stamps on the brakes. I’d get a hard peddle, but no fade.

I echo this response above. I used to run 1155 fronts and 1144 rears in my track car. Not once did i have any issues with them. The pedal and bite was always consistent, and the harder i pushed the better they got (this was lengthy periods out on track too)
I didn't think the cold response on them was bad either for road driving.
I can't recall them being massively dusty either compared to the DS range of Ferodo pads.

Infact, I'm seriously thinking about ditching the DS1.11 (having previously used 2500's and 3000's) and going back to them.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I echo this response above. I used to run 1155 fronts and 1144 rears in my track car. Not once did i have any issues with them. The pedal and bite was always consistent, and the harder i pushed the better they got (this was lengthy periods out on track too)
I didn't think the cold response on them was bad either for road driving.
I can't recall them being massively dusty either compared to the DS range of Ferodo pads.

Infact, I'm seriously thinking about ditching the DS1.11 (having previously used 2500's and 3000's) and going back to them.

Is that in the 197 though? It's a completely different experience with the single piston 172/182 setup.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Is that in the 197 though? It's a completely different experience with the single piston 172/182 setup.
Was on my ST170 which had single piston calipers all around. Obviously a much heavier car too (1115kg without driver)
They've completely wiped the floor with all setups i've had on the 197 so far.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
If using Mintex 1144 pads on the front,for the rear its good to also use M1144's?.would this even things out than just having standard pagid pads on the rear?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
If using Mintex 1144 pads on the front,for the rear its good to also use M1144's?.would this even things out than just having standard pagid pads on the rear?

Should be ok. If you think about it that’s what the car would have oem - same friction Front and rear, the brake bias sorts the rest

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I run DS3000 in my M3 for trackdays, very squeaky but the difference between standard and those is hilarious. I’m still on standard discs, calipers but with braided lines and better fluid.

I don’t do a lot of car track days so not a great amount of experience but the dust washed off easily after 1500 miles to, at and from the ring.