ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Higher Wall Strength rating on Exalto's..

200 FF Storm Grey
My dad was ordering me some through his garage, they didn't have any of the 83's in (I think it's 83) so has instead ordered me 95, presume this has no negative affect on the car and can only be a good thing?

Was concerned that they might be for heavier cars and will be too rigid for the clio? But I'm clueless on the technical side to tyres so... :dead:

Ph2 172 Cup
That's an interesting idea - you've got me wondering if they would make better track tyres as a result. I always thought that stiffer side walls was a major benefit of track oriented tyres.

I bet it's not that simple...

Mk2 172
That's an interesting idea - you've got me wondering if they would make better track tyres as a result. I always thought that stiffer side walls was a major benefit of track oriented tyres.

I bet it's not that simple...

Yeah but only if u have the tread compound to go with it and the PE2's dont. Great road tyres tho :)

R53 Cooper S
Hope this helps, from Michelin:

Michelin do, indeed, produce 3 products in the basic tyre size & tread pattern mentioned:

205/45 R 16 83V ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ (V=Max speed 149mph)
205/45 ZR 16 83W ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ (W=Max speed 168mph)
205/45 ZR 16 87W ‘New Pilot Exalto (PE2)’ Extra Load (High load @ high pressure)

The ‘V’ Speed Rated product is the preferred fitment for the quoted vehicle model.
Initially, 2 products were available, but this situation was ‘honed’ down to the one product, listed above, ‘tuned’ to that specific suspension setup & fitted as original equipment.

The other 2 products listed are ‘tuned’ to different manufacturers’ vehicle models. The ‘83W’ product would be an option, only in case of difficulty with supply/availability of the ‘83V’.

The ‘87W Extra Load’ product would not be considered valid for the quoted model, being designed for a potentially heavier vehicle: higher load capacity at increased tyre inflation pressure value.

Thank your for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Technical Support
Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company
Campbell Road
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 4EY

Telephone: 0845 366 1535
Facsimile: +44 (0) 1782 403258

200 FF Storm Grey
Idea...

I've only ordered two for money reasons and using two of my existing exalto's, if i use the high strength tyres for the back then it shouldn't have much affect on steering should it? Then when I order the other 2 i'll make sure it's the 83v and put them on the front?

Evo 8 MR
Heavier load tyres are designed for just that, heavier loads. I don't think there is anything to be gained running them.

200 FF Storm Grey
I know, aint concerned about gains, more concerned about the car not driving the way it should now

Renault Clio Sport Ph2
I've got Yokohama S.Drive tyres (195/45/16) all around with reinforced sidewalls (XL extra load tires), drives like a charm around the nurburgring so dont think that extra load make it drive worce :)