ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do you blow a engine

none, just walk

i know on first reading the subject title it would be stupidly obvious but ive always wondered? it is more likely to happen when the engine is a high miler and has been ragged all its life? or is it if you red line on every gear all the time?

answers please?

its when i drive my car i never red line it incase i blow the engine (gay i know) but is it that simple?

TT 225

No, you wouldnt blow an engine just by redlining it - thats why there are rev limiters on most cars

if u dont service the car, i.e cambelt changes etc... then your engine will blow... things only last too a certain extent before saying bugger this! :)

yes but if there isnt a rev limiter you will blow it or if the limiter has been moved and you get oil starvation or something that will balls it up. too much torque will bugger it too if things arnt uprated to cope it will just shear things

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 13 February 2004

Overheating or bad lubrication or detonation or just misassembly..
bad lubrication..........hmm, that could be painfully !

I saw an Alfa 156 let go once, that made a nice bang, cause, oil starvation on number 4 cylinder..........nice hole in the side of the block too !

When you blow an engine its typically from overspeeding the internals, where rod stretch, big end bolts let go, cranks crack, pistons come off and it hits the valve, then that gets mashed up, holes in pistons throws oil out the engine, white smoke.

But there is overheating, and siezing, lots of ways to blow one up, but typically the rev limiter should prevent you from overspeeding.