ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How important is this alternator bracket?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
As per title, I'm trying to work out how to refit the ac system on my RS2 fitted Clio 182, which means moving the alternator back up.

The mounting bracket with the tensioner snuggly fits, but the side bracket does not as it will hit the RS2.

How important is it? Can I just leave it out?

Tensioner fits
20200804_155217.jpg

Side bracket does not
20200804_155814.jpg

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
I ran mine without it after fitting the SM inlet, it did break 2 alternator mounts though but mine was a track car on VERY stiff suspension.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Hm that doesn't sound very confidence inspiring. Did that mean aux belt came off potentially taking other stuff with it? Or just replace the bracket which takes ten minutes?

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Just replaced the bracket, luckily the alternator stayed in position as it was done up so tight.

I went with the cup alternator set up in the end, no need to worry about it then

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the cup setup now, but would like to put the compressor back on to get the airconditioning working again.

Thanks for the info!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Got a side on pic mate? Wondering how much it fouls by, could it be ground back to you think for clearance? I personally would not run without it simple as it aux belt related.

Another alternative might be to get one made up out of tube...

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I'll try to get a pic if I can, but it basically has to go straight through the RS2 inlet to fit.

Tube or maybe even metal wire might be an option, just not very professional looking ;)

@scullyg40 it does look like that, but I just wonder how much axial load there will be (enough apparently for Renault to put the bracket in!).

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what you mean by metal wire?

I don't think its an axial load. The tensioner and pulleys are not on the centre line of the pivot so they will be trying to twist the bracket. The arm is likely stopping this, or Renault thought the bracket might fatigue over time and fail.

You might get away with grinding the boss back and using a 5mm thick (or as thick as you can manage) steel drop bracket. Tube could be made to look really neat but you would need to find someone who could bend it nicely and would be an expensive faf.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Just use some thick wire to strap it down around the air inlet in the direction of where the bracket goes.

I'd say it's probably avoiding stress and fatigue as I've seen pictures of the RS2 installed without the bracket so it'll work, question is how long.

I'm not sure what you mean by grinding the boss back and how to fit a drop bracket? Would that connect between the two original points (alternator and engine block) but just around the RS2?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah and found a picture from the side.

Red is where the side bracket attaches to the alternator bracket. Green is where it has to go straight through the RS2.

20200804_155206~2.jpg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
1597330957906.png

I don't know if this is feasible but you might be able to get away with bolting the one side onto the head and rotating it round until it just touches the intake then grind the boss flat (because it will now be at an angle - red) then make a little plate up with two holes in it to join the strap to the bracket. Would have to be a fairly stiff plate and as short as possible however it would probably work well enough and wouldn't look awful.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm just seen you pic able - would need to close bonnet before making the plate to make sure it will still close, be awful to go to all the hassle of making something up only to find you needed to cut a hole in the bonnet haha.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Going up and over isn't an option anyway I think, not in the same direction as the standard bracket points downwards towards the engine block.

I have had a look though and it won't need much strength I'd say, just a piece of metal to stabilise the whole thing.

Maybe I can get something made up to go underneath in like a big stretched u shape bracket.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Well I was thinking of the easy way out and going the other way and attach it together with the ac pipes but that's obviously not going to work with engine movement!

Thanks for the help and ideas, much appreciated!

dawgtired

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk2 Ph2 172 van
I'm using this setup with eps. dci alternator bracket, cut down ac bracket, ford transit adjuster and a bracket I made that fits to the top ac pump mounts.
All works fine and easy to adjust
Alt adjuster (11).JPG

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That looks like it could work very well indeed! And it does away with the standard tensioner as well.

This sits underneath an RS2 inlet and clears it well?

I've found the transit adjuster on ebay, just not sure what other brackets you've used, the standard mounting bracket for the ac compressor or is that where you've used the dci one, is that this one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233209107941

dawgtired

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk2 Ph2 172 van
I cut the alt bracket off the A/C mount, used the transit bracket in the pic and made the other bracket from 25x 6mm steel bar
IMG_1144.JPGAlt adjuster (01).JPGAlt adjuster (07).JPG

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Great info, thank you very much, definitely need to have a look at this altough I'd need someone to make that steel bar bracket for me!

dawgtired

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk2 Ph2 172 van
These are the basic measurements I used, the 8mm hole in the upright put where's best when you try it on.

IMG_3066.JPG