ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long should 172 wheel bearings last?

My 172 seems to eat rear wheel bearings - I seem to get about a year out of them before they start getting noisy again. Does this sound normal? Anyone else had any problems?

I do most of my mileage on the motorway so it's not like I'm treating them particularly hard. Do I need to grease them between services or anything?

Any info aprecciated.
Col

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still on my original bearings after 67k miles and countless track/airfield days.

Sounds like something else is causing it in your case...either that or you keep getting bearings from a bad batch.

R35 GTR
i got clicky noises coming from my wheels. I think it might just be stones stuck in the tyre tread though.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Fooked wheel bearings don't make a clicky noise I think, just make it sound like your going down a hill on a pushbike really fast.

R35 GTR
SoA2k6 said:
Fooked wheel bearings don't make a clicky noise I think, just make it sound like your going down a hill on a pushbike really fast.

got ya, i know what that sounds like.

Nope you shouldn't change them that often 3 years I'd say or whenever the rear disk need chnaging they should last at least that long.

Hmm, from those posts it sounds like I must have some underlying problem - which isn't the news I was hoping for. It's a totally standard phase 1 172 with 75000 miles on it.

Any suggestions what might cause premature bearing wear?

Last edited:
  172 ph1
When you get them replaced are you getting new disks and pads, or are they just changing the bearing?

Maybe they are giving them a battering putting them in, or using cheap parts.