ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many of these faults are common on a 197?

Fiesta STripes
I've only had it 2 weeks now, and these are the faults with the car already:

Drivers door seal leaks when driving - wind noise can be heard and felt

Windscreen Wiper - chunk missing out of it, leaves a 1 inch stripe of unwiped windscreen

Front Brakes - discs warped, steering wheel wobbles at lower speed when braking

Gaps in body work - different sized gaps in various places round the front end; bonnet does not sit straight

Front bumper does not sit flush under light - sticks out and getting damaged, but have seen this on another 197

Front Grill - very faded white and grey

Boot light - wire is hanging loose, doesn't turn off when boot is shut

Near side bump strip is coming off

Paint work on rear near side panel is shocking. Swirls, matte paint etc

Stickers - bubbles under all the stickers

Wheel Bolts - all brown with rust

Wipers - sometimes only goes on full spaz attack, or not at all, doesn't work on intermittent or slow wipe

Trip computer - freezes; cannot cycle between MPG, MPH etc etc

Boot - rattling coming from tailgate

Rear discs - looks like a vinyl record - deep grooves on them

Oil Leaking somewhere onto the head too

Car going in next weekend for just over a week - it had better be sorted or they won't be getting their money as I have raised a dispute on the transaction with Barclaycard for the reson "Goods provided not as advertised" - they are witholding the monies from the dealer until the situation is resolved.

It is all very well saying these things should have been checked before purchasing, but when you buy a car from an offical renault dealer, you really don't expect these sort of things to be wrong with it lol!

BMW 320 M Sport, 197
be interesting to see the solutions. I just bought a private 197 and I have a couple of issues, some the same:
1) Air con seems to be noisy
2) Car bunny hops from a cold start
3) Oil Leaking somewhere onto the head as well
4) Front Grill - very faded white and grey

I'll be taking it to my local dealer to get checked out tomorrow

It is all very well saying these things should have been checked before purchasing, but when you buy a car from an offical renault dealer, you really don't expect these sort of things to be wrong with it lol!

..at least you've now learn't a lesson about buying cars. Dealer or not you're parting with a lot of money you should check it out.

That aside how you missed half of those visual ones I'll never know.

What year is it and how many miles has it done? Im guessing it isn't brand new?
Sounds like its possibly had some body work to the front end.
Rattle from boot area will be the catch loose.
Cold start bunny hopping book it in with a dealer, there is an actis solution on this (reprogramming of the ecu), most on here have had it done, do a search its actis solution 7103.
If you could see the discs wore worn why didn't you mention it before you bought it, could have negotiated a new set.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't understand people parting with £7/8/9/10k and not checking the car from head to toe.

Dealer or not.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
It sounds to me like its been in a shunt and doesnt sound like it been looked after at all. My 197 had a little bit of kangaroo on a cold start and the recaro was starting to wear but that was all, everything else worked perfectly.

Fiesta STripes
Interesting responses :) thank you. Yeah bunny hopping is another issue too lol. I just thought it was the wife's driving, but i can see i'm wrong lol. Glad i paid for it with a credit card. Very useful back up they are lol

Having only had my 197 for two weeks I got paranoid after reading this thread but having checked over all the OP's concerns I am happy to report I have one single issue already mentioned; bunny hopping. No consolation to the OP I suppose but I feel a lot better now.

M135i
Gaps in body work - different sized gaps in various places round the front end; bonnet does not sit straight

With regard to the bonnet.... are you referring to the fact that the end of the bonnet 'sits' slightly lower?

If you are, and IIRC, this is normal on all 197s. Something to do with meeting pedestrian impact standards.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Oil from the head is common. Mines been in before for it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Rattle form the boot mine had, fixed it myself. Bunnyhopping..... all F4R ebgined Clios from the 172 do it.........

Wheel bolts - will be acidic cleaner used
Juddering brakes - Hammered reound a track maybe?

Rest just seem like its not been cared for.....

Fiesta STripes
With regard to the bonnet.... are you referring to the fact that the end of the bonnet 'sits' slightly lower?

If you are, and IIRC, this is normal on all 197s. Something to do with meeting pedestrian impact standards.

It isn't straight! The gap down one side gets narrower front back to front!

Skoda
Had mine just over a year now from new...touch wood I've not had a single problem.... I only have the cold start bunny hop if its a really cold day but can control it by just getting up the gears quickly....

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Did you road test it, as in 30 mins at least?

Sounds like a lemon to me!

White clique
Was the car sold with an HPI check (should have been?)

In any case as has been said before piss poor of Ren to sell a car in this condition, but you could have saved yourself a lot of hassle checking it over properly before. There are a lot of things wrong with it and i'd say that was very unusual even for a Renault.

BMW 320 M Sport, 197
I'm glad to hear others had oil in the head and bunny hopping problems too, and hope you get yours sorted fella. Gave mine a good first ever clean tonight and found some small orange specks under the edge of the rear window, surely this can't be but could it be rust? I'll be asking a valeter and the dealer on this

I'm glad to hear others had oil in the head and bunny hopping problems too, and hope you get yours sorted fella. Gave mine a good first ever clean tonight and found some small orange specks under the edge of the rear window, surely this can't be but could it be rust? I'll be asking a valeter and the dealer on this

maybe rust 2cars on here rust on the boot due to water getting inside them not sure what the outcome was with it though

LY V6 & Fiesta ST

Probably industrial fall out- i removed it with a clay bar, see pic below. But i can officially say no to every problem the OP stated but i do hope you get them all sorted.
02032009026-1.gif

BMW 320 M Sport, 197
Could be Industrial pugs, as it was a company car kept in an industrial estate alot. I'll get a clay bar to it and see if that works, thanks :)

GTD, Lupo
Maybe not just a 197 thing but my 200 when cold is very lumpy in 1st and 2nd gear and does jump around a bit.

Paul

Barge
First question, how old is it? I assume it's an R27? In response to your questions (I've got s**t loads wrong with mine which they're fixing)...

Drivers door seal leaks when driving - wind noise can be heard and felt: Yep, they'll replace these for you.

Windscreen Wiper - chunk missing out of it, leaves a 1 inch stripe of unwiped windscreen: Sounds like wear and tear. As it's just been bought they might change it for you.

Front Brakes - discs warped, steering wheel wobbles at lower speed when braking: A stealer shouldn't have sold it to you like this.

Gaps in body work - different sized gaps in various places round the front end; bonnet does not sit straight: My bonnet has a slight drop from it and the beginning of the bumper. Always has had.

Front bumper does not sit flush under light - sticks out and getting damaged, but have seen this on another 197: Mines the same, including the damaged paint from it. Renault have (seem to have) fixed it, but it'll be going back in for a complaint on the paint chipping.

Front Grill - very faded white and grey: Depends how it's been looked after, try a product to restore it.

Boot light - wire is hanging loose, doesn't turn off when boot is shut: Easily fixable under warranty.

Near side bump strip is coming off: Easily fixable under warranty.

Paint work on rear near side panel is shocking. Swirls, matte paint etc: Rear driver side panel is shocking on mine too, orange peel, etc. Unless there's an actual fault with it, they won't do anything about it. Renault paint = shocking. If it's just swirled, maybe a PC would help?

Stickers - bubbles under all the stickers: They should replace these.

Wheel Bolts - all brown with rust: Depends on how the car has been maintained, they'll claim wear and tear. Maybe there could be a product out there to sort this?

Wipers - sometimes only goes on full spaz attack, or not at all, doesn't work on intermittent or slow wipe: Should fix under warranty.

Trip computer - freezes; cannot cycle between MPG, MPH etc etc: Warranty will sort.

Boot - rattling coming from tailgate: Get them to sort under warranty.

Rear discs - looks like a vinyl record - deep grooves on them: Wear and tear.

Oil Leaking somewhere onto the head too: Warranty.

Where they claim wear and tear, try your luck. But, when I bought mine as second owner, they replaced all pads and gave me four brand new contisport 3 tyres too. If they think they can get away with selling you a duffer they will!

LY R26
Hi Mike, sounds like it needs a bit of dosh spent.

Windscreen Wiper - chunk missing out of it, leaves a 1 inch stripe of unwiped windscreen

Change the wiper.

Front Brakes - discs warped, steering wheel wobbles at lower speed when braking

Previous owner has warped them, need changing.

Front Grill - very faded white and grey

Replacement at dealers if its not down to misuse of polish?

Near side bump strip is coming off

Been caught on something?

Paint work on rear near side panel is shocking. Swirls, matte paint etc

Bad cleaning? - Paint would be a dealer issue.

Stickers - bubbles under all the stickers

Your car had these applied, previous owner was a downy?

Rear discs - looks like a vinyl record - deep grooves on them

Again - Need replacing.

197 F1 R27
The OP should really be reporting this to Renault UK.

Raise a complaint with them, they have been really good everytime I've contacted them and will speak to the dealer in advance of you coming back with the car.

Fiesta STripes
Should have checked the car head to toe. Mines been mint. Dealer or not you HAVE to check EVERYTHING when buying any car.

I contacted Renault UK, and they said to me:

There is no reason for you to have to go into a Renault dealer and check the car head to toe. Part of being a Renault approved dealer is the fact that you should be able to just go in and get the car with the peace of mind that EVERYTHING has been checked and approved on the vehicle

Never trust a dealer is my lesson lol!

197 F1 R27
I contacted Renault UK, and they said to me:

There is no reason for you to have to go into a Renault dealer and check the car head to toe. Part of being a Renault approved dealer is the fact that you should be able to just go in and get the car with the peace of mind that EVERYTHING has been checked and approved on the vehicle

Never trust a dealer is my lesson lol!

You should call them back and tell them that if that's the case then they have a serious problem with one of their customers (you) and an even more serious problem with a so called "approved" dealer of theirs.

Next thing you say is...."what the hell are you going to do about this!"

Good luck and contact trading standards if you need to. Log it all and take pictures. It's another piece of verbal dirt you can throw back at these theiving b*****ds.

I hope you get it all sorted mate.

Fiesta STripes
01web.jpg

Bubbles

02web.jpg

Front Grill

03web.jpg

The effect that the wiper has

04web.jpg

Check out how straight the top is...

05web.jpg

Other side is better...

06web.jpg

Bumper and Headlight

07web.jpg

Back bumper sticker

08web.jpg

Oil leak

09web.jpg

Oil leak again

10web.jpg

Alloy corrosion

11web.jpg

Wheel bolts

12web.jpg

Gap in the wiper

1web.jpg

One side OK

2web.jpg

The other not...

3web.jpg

Bubble

4web.jpg

Boot light

5web.jpg

Gap one side

6web.jpg

And the other

7web.jpg

Car was "fully valted" which is why the seatbelt looks like it has been through a farmyard????

White clique
looks like there are lots of annoying niggles there. the seatbelts are a nightmare to clean, you can give it a go yourself with washing powder and a nail brush, but i doubt any cleaning stuff a valet person has is going to lift it.

The stickers look dodgy, almost as if they have been applied at a later date? Maybe the R27 was originally ordered with stickers deleted and they have been poorly added?

I think the panel gaps are something you'll have to live with, my BMW has a couple of minor misalignments, my 197 was full of them.

edit from you other post ive just relised its not actualy an r27 but a 197 with poorly fitted stickers ;) id have left it well alone somethings not right with it

Last edited:
  Fiesta STripes
Blinded by love for the car I was!

Bar the stickers, the rest of the cosmetic stuff was "covered up" with wax etc.

I'm not going to mention the dealers name YET, but I did just speak to the previous owners. No front end accidents and no problems at all other than the kangarooing!