ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How reliable is the range left on the trip computer?

Accord 2.4
How reliable is the range left on the trip computer?

I had it down to 10miles other day on M25! I was stuck in traffic wondering if it would die on me (not best place at on a Friday afternoon lol)

On the plus side over700 miles over the weekend the average MPG was 42.4 :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mine goes to ---- from 50 or 60 miles. Once you have below X amount of litres (probably 7 or 8) of fuel you have left. If you drive as you have been driving it will be accurate, and you'll still have a bit of fuel left in the lines also, however why test it when you can take 5 minutes and fill up.

Depends if your going uo hills etc. Even at emty there still some in the bottom of the tank and then the fuel lines

Listerine & Poledo
Pinch of salt needed with the "range"

I'd say that when the warning ligt is on, budget yourself 25 miles to get to a pump.

Mine goes to ---- from 50 or 60 miles. Once you have below X amount of litres (probably 7 or 8) of fuel you have left. If you drive as you have been driving it will be accurate, and you'll still have a bit of fuel left in the lines also, however why test it when you can take 5 minutes and fill up.
5 liters from memeory stops the trip 4.5 for the red light or the other way round i forget

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
People really get 40 odd mpg? I must drive slower. With a mix or town and mway im lucky to see 34.

Listerine & Poledo
I got 35 on a motorway run last weekend, with 4 grown men and their luggage, Climate and cruise engaged and at the legal limit.

Dump the weight, I'd have done 40 to the G.

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
If i cruise i get 46 from my cup.

If drive it hard i to work and back over the tank i still manage around 38 :D

chekced this by brimming the car and doing the maths manually and the trip is pretty close!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
If i cruise i get 46 from my cup.

If drive it hard i to work and back over the tank i still manage around 38 :D

chekced this by brimming the car and doing the maths manually and the trip is pretty close!

Thats very impressive! I have personnaly found that the amount left appears to go down in accordance with the distance I have traveled, so it must be pretty accurate!

Mines useless, with about an 1/8th of a tank left it says i still have over 200miles left, my mates ph1 does the same.

did they change the trip computer from ph1 to ph2? or is just coincidence neither of them work lol.

Discounted 1*2 parts
My dci goes blank with 100+ miles remaining on the range. I've always wondered would it do 100 miles lol but only ever had the bottle to do 65

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Only been driving mine for a week now, around town only, and I'm getting 24mpg I want to push it up to 25mpg lol but it keeps dipping into 23.8/9 lol :(

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I saw 45/46 a few weeks ago on a very steady run down m62 (including a stretch of 50mph) but on my normal shitty short( 1 mile ish) journeys it can get as low as 22 when weather is cold. They really do drink when not up to temp.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
My petrol light comes on before the trip computer says ---

Light comes on at about 45ish miles, the lines appear at around 35, I've never tested how far I can go on that though, I'm a pussy

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thought so, which puts the 1 gallon left theory in the bin as I've never put more than 42L in mine. And I've seen the light on before.

SQ5
No it definitely does it when you have 1 Gallon left too.

It will always goes from a number to ---- when it hits the same figure as your MPG

SQ5
The light comes on before the display goes to ---

I've put over 48 litres in mine.

No it doesn't, light goes on and miles left goes to ----

Otherwise idiots would try the range left, break down then have a go at Renault.

E46 M3
Yes it does, really I've seen it! I'll take a pic next time.

Its not by much, maybe 5 miles but it happens.

I never pay any attention to the trip computer. You can put off filling up until the needle stops moving from empty when you start the car, and then some. I do it if I'm nowhere near somewhere selling super or just plain CBA going to fill up and want to milk it a bit longer, and that's in a greedy 200.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Why would you want to take you tank that low anyway?! Best to leave a bit at the bottom to stop the crap being sucked up...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
No it doesn't, light goes on and miles left goes to ----

Otherwise idiots would try the range left, break down then have a go at Renault.

I think if it slops to one side going up hills etc it can trigger the light/sensor before the --- comes on iirc.

Why would you want to take you tank that low anyway?! Best to leave a bit at the bottom to stop the crap being sucked up...

Lol, thats a load of rubbish as any crap in the tank is constantly been mixed around while driving...

SQ5
I think if it slops to one side going up hills etc it can trigger the light/sensor before the --- comes on iirc.

Lol, thats a load of rubbish as any crap in the tank is constantly been mixed around while driving...

Plus the fuel filter and the fuel pump filter lol!

Black Sheep
Technically when the fuel is very all low the crap will be much more concentrated. In a car that has done say 87 000 miles like mines. I bet there is tons of crap in the fuel tank from the hundreds of times the fuel cap as been taken off and filled up with petrol that is bound to be contaminated to some extent. This cant be very good for the filters? This is what I think sometimes as I am guilty of letting it go far to low when I cant be bothered filling up.

SQ5
The reason you have a fuel filter is because of this, and fuel filter replacement intervals are 150k I believe!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
fuel strainer in the pump stops anything bigger than a grain of sand into the pump, fuel filter then takes out any smaller particles.

change the fuel fulter every other servoce and you will never get any "crap from the tank" in your engine!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I was always under the impression the fuel filter was in the tank on Clio's and a b**ch to change.

I don't really think running a car with little fuel makes any difference to if it was full. The filters will still capture the same s**t lol.