ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to increase power to around 210-220hp, question from newbie !!

clio sport trophy
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to the Clio, just bought a clio sport trophy in switzerland and they only made 50 over here!!

I want to increase it's power, comming from the Subaru world I miss a bit more power, no saying that it's slow but I want a bit more !!

Can the Clio take the increase of power without trouble or do I have to install a front diff like a quaife.

So I guess exaust, intake and ECU are the first steps with maybe a rework of the Inlet Manifold ?

But what exaust should I take and is it worthwhile taking an ITG Maxogen induction or just a filter replacement would do the job ?

And what power gains can I expect from these mods ? and Do I have to change cams to reach my goal ?

Thanks for your help and sorry if I ask question people already asked !

BMW M3
Welcome to CS mate,

Youll need a bit more then that though.

With the above mods your probably looking at 195 bhp.

But to get 220 i would think you would need throttle bodies. Not sure if cams will get you there. Im not sure to be honest.

220hp is a bit of serious tunning realy.

Ideal throttle bodies and cams.

You can do it on stock throttle body with cams head work etc if you use BenR's new manifold bit.

clio sport trophy
Thanks guys, it's so easy with a turbo to get 60hp more, exaust and ecu and done !!
More tricky with the clio I guess !!
So what first mod should I do, let say with a 1000£ budget
thanks

clio sport trophy
Only 50 made.

Why ruin it?

I don't want big mods, just want more power ! :) but without any big mods to the rnginr, judt add-on parts ! and no turbo.
There is always something to modify with all cars, not one manufacters does the perfecr car !!

Word!

You need:

You can get 210 without TB's.. And it won't scare people off from buying the car in the future. You can swap these parts when you sell.

you need:

headwork
cams (cat or schrick)
modified inlet manifold
2.5 inch exhaust
IK (Maxogen) and CAF
Re-map ECU

Word!

You need:

You can get 210 without TB's.. And it won't scare people off from buying the car in the future. You can swap these parts when you sell.

you need:

headwork
cams (cat or schrick)
modified inlet manifold
2.5 inch exhaust
IK (Maxogen) and CAF
Re-map ECU

Ross' (rmccardel) car made around 215bhp on standard inlet but it was heavily reworked by Angelworks. More like a stage 2 version on the 'normal' manifold work he does. He also had a more aggressive cam profile then usual fast road conversions.

I think Ben had to cut the manifold in half to rework it properly and after doing that one said he wouldnt do another. So IMO you will be struggling on the standard inlet.

To get 220bhp it cant currently be done on the single body without going for forged pistons etc, so the easiest safest 'PROVEN' way is individual throttle bodies. In all honesty you dont need ITB's to be faster than an impreza though, basic mods and a remap will put you on par with a 250-260bhp classic shape I reckon, because even though you can get 60bhp from simple mods on a scooby the 60bhp works out less per ton than 60bhp, so it's all relative. Mod a Clio, you get less bhp, but due to weight they work out similar...

This is what throttle bodies does to an impreza...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eHiMhZpYrA

And FYI this is my daily car and is quiet, easy to drive, comfy, just uses a bit of petrol... lol

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
To get 220bhp it cant currently be done on the single body without going for forged pistons etc, so the easiest safest 'PROVEN' way is individual throttle bodies. In all honesty you dont need ITB's to be faster than an impreza though, basic mods and a remap will put you on par with a 250-260bhp classic shape I reckon, because even though you can get 60bhp from simple mods on a scooby the 60bhp works out less per ton than 60bhp, so it's all relative. Mod a Clio, you get less bhp, but due to weight they work out similar...

This is what throttle bodies does to an impreza...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eHiMhZpYrA

And FYI this is my daily car and is quiet, easy to drive, comfy, just uses a bit of petrol... lol

Thats what my clio drives like in limp mode.. :S

clio sport trophy
Completely agree.

Why all you lot dont stop wasting your money and go and buy yourself a nice Subaru instead is beyond me.

A impreza is a very thirsty car fuel wise and even worse when tuned !! Had one before ! I spent well over 35% of the price of new of my WRX on mods !! so if I spend 20% for the clio seems ok and it will cost me less after a year of fuel !! my fuel budget is cut in two with the Clio ! and a 2005 wrx is way more expensive then a clio trophy !

Completely agree.

Why all you lot dont stop wasting your money and go and buy yourself a nice Subaru instead is beyond me.

A impreza is a very thirsty car fuel wise and even worse when tuned !! Had one before ! I spent well over 35% of the price of new of my WRX on mods !! so if I spend 20% for the clio seems ok and it will cost me less after a year of fuel !! my fuel budget is cut in two with the Clio ! and a 2005 wrx is way more expensive then a clio trophy !

Sorry mate I was being sarcastic. Just repeating the standard answer people seem to give when a tuning question is asked.

I myself have a clio with 200bhp, coilovers etc. which has probably cost me around 8k meaning I am obviously a fuckwit when there are better cars out there for the money ;).

Heres my car - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=218275

Ph1
i think modding is stupid!!

*whistles, roll eyes and sneaks away into the next room*

Completely agree.

Why all you lot dont stop wasting your money and go and buy yourself a nice Subaru instead is beyond me. ;)

Why would anyone want to go out and buy a car that everybody else has got? Scoobys are dull yawwwwnnnnn.......

Its seeing video's like that, that make modding a Clio worth while

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
money wasted on an rs clio, why not?! if the 20v died tmo id have another rs, id fancy trying Yassers shortened gear ratio route next time.

clio sport trophy
Sorry mate I was being sarcastic. Just repeating the standard answer people seem to give when a tuning question is asked.

I myself have a clio with 200bhp, coilovers etc. which has probably cost me around 8k meaning I am obviously a f**kwit when there are better cars out there for the money ;).

Other reason, I don't think renault is going to come out with any new hot hatch has good has the clio gen 2, look at the gen 3, the guy that I bought the trophy from tried it and said the 2 was better, and peugeot has nothing good this year, the 207 is disapointing.
I reckon I will kept my trophy quite some time !!

Anyway, what mods did you do to get to 200hp ?
What do you think about ecu, intake, exaust with sport cat, seems like all the one at 400-400£ are after the cat and the Inlet Manifold from angelworks.
What do you think about orbisoud exaust and Viper kit induction kit ?

Do I need to add cams to my menu to get over 200hp ?

Thanks

I myself have a clio with 200bhp, coilovers etc. which has probably cost me around 8k meaning I am obviously a f**kwit when there are better cars out there for the money ;).

Other reason, I don't think renault is going to come out with any new hot hatch has good has the clio gen 2, look at the gen 3, the guy that I bought the trophy from tried it and said the 2 was better, and peugeot has nothing good this year, the 207 is disapointing.

What do you think about ecu, intake, exaust with sport cat, seems like all the one at 400-400£ are after the cat and the Inlet Manifold from angelworks.

Thanks

For 200bhp i would do the following:

Panel filter (in OE airbox)
Decat
Stainless cat back
Inlet match
Remap - standalone (expensive but worth it for future mods) or RR tuned from someone like chip wizards who can map the stock ECU and has the best proven results with this method

You should see between 190 and just over 200bhp with this, cams and you're probably only talking about 210bhp tops, but the torque and the way it makes the power will be much better... other option then is ITB's, which again, only 10bhp (ish) more than cams but an ITB'd car would kill a cam'd one, again, due to the way it makes the power.

Thanks

For 200bhp

You need -
exhaust, orbisoud would be good
sports cat, comes with your orbisoud
Cams, schrick or catcams (I have catcams)
inlet match
Maxogen, I wouldnt bother with a viper personally I had one and got rid for a maxogen
remap

My car runs around 200bhp with this kit.

For 210bhp
All of the above with wilder cams, IMO you will still do well on the sandard inlet to acheive this

For 220bhp+
All the above and Throttle bodies

For 225bhp+
All the above Throttle bodies and wilder cams

You need a 182 exhaust manifold aswell to acheive those figures

Other option for 220+ bhp is really wild cams, solid lifters and forged pistons. Similar results just a different method... dunno how price compares to ITB's though... plus the noise wont be as sex wee

jesus where abouts are you based? im in AE and travel through the tunnels alot, failed to see you wizz past yet :(

would like to see it runnin in person at some point :)

jamie

I'm in CH fella, dont really go to the tunnels much though apart from the odd accoustic test as the link road is my fav for testing out new mods etc... good ol' bridge test :)

PM'd you my number, we'll have to get a mini meet organised :D