ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to tell a tuned or remap'd 172?

Gsk

E53 BMW X5
Hi All,

I am looking at buying a 172 (hope to get it tonight). There was a folder of receipts which was great but the folder was a cliosport.net membership folder. Along with the receipts there were 2 leaflets and one of them was for a tuning/remap company. I started thinking(worrying) about how to tell if it had been performance modded in any way. How do you tell? If it is modded and you genuinely don't know, how would sit with the insurnace company if you claimed?

Cheers,

Gav

172 cup
An isurance company wouldnt be able to tell if it was mapped so I wouldnt worry on that front. I had an RS tuner remap and it idled at 1000 rmp when hot instead of 900 if thats any help?

Clio 182
all those depend on who has mapped it and how...

Only definitive way is to read the file from the car and get it checked against an original.

keo

Clio Trophy
Is a re map worth worth doing on a standard clio? I wouldnt of thought it would make much difference unless it was cammed/ boddied?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is a re map worth worth doing on a standard clio? I wouldnt of thought it would make much difference unless it was cammed/ boddied?

Surprisingly for a N/A petrol car, yes in the case of the 172/182 specifically it actually is worth doing.
Not the case with most similar cars, but the map on these cars is really poor from the factory so can easily be improved upon, especially from about 3k-5K, although it will do little if anything for peak power figures etc.

keo

Clio Trophy
Thats surprised me chip, so its more for driveability than peak power and provides more power across a longer rev range

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yes mate. Unless you spend a few quid your never going to see big gains. If you love the car like I do then any improvement is a bonus imo