ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hugely Homo Pretty red Mazda

Homo spec mazda
So a long time lurker and ex poster but since joeyd dropped some gratuitous pictures in his thread I thought Id copy and paste the rubbish I wrote on MX5Nutz, so some of this wont make sense.

So THE update.

Friday morning at 5am me and my mate set off from Manchester down to some place called "Romford". It was very far away and when we got there everybody spoke funny. Kind of like their words had more A's in them, I digress.

We Did all the paperwork as quickly as possible as we had an appointment to make somewhere a little further North, but not before we stopped at the watering hole.

IMG_20151030_102040_zpszefa0s8e.jpg

A super small fuel tank in this thing!! 99 Ron only the finest for the new car. The next stint was mainly spent playing with the Mazda MZD connect screen, a really easy to use system that allows you to poke away when sat still or use the i-drive style joystick currently trying to avoid using the touch element because I hate fingerprints all over screen.

The First thing that's really noticeable is the Torque, now this isn't a big V8, nor a small capacity turbo but it does genuinely feel like the latter. This makes it far far easier to drive around town then the S2000 that proceeded it, the trade off is as you rev it out it does run out of puff at the top and the top really isn't very high. It is quite tough coming from a car where peak power is 7000 RPM to a car that redlines at 6800. The other car I have some access too is the car the Mazda is compared to, and that's the Toyota GT86 as shown below.

20151025_194835_zpsgghke13f.jpg

Coming from the GT into the MX5 the Mazda feels peppier and torquier, I don't know the torque figures for the Toyota so not quite sure If it's the Weight or genuine torque that does this. Both have really good quality gearboxes but neither match the (and I hate this term) Bolt Action feel of the Honda. The Mazda feels a LOT lighter then both cars, in steering feel but also in the way it feels just a bit nervous on he road. Either way I was suitably happy with the car as we got stuck in more and more traffic pondering life and whether my 6 foot frame would fit in the car with a helmet on... hmm..

2 hours later we were at our next destination, just in time for me to stand in a whopping great big dog turd.

20151030_120857_zpsxhcztwz9.jpg

Initially I was waiting for the Ecutek software to be available and go see Clive at Autotronix, but from speaking to him and him being months away and knowing I would miss the pace of the S2000 I felt I needed to snap the offer up made by Neil and Sam, without much hesitation I was booked in.

With just 100 miles on the clock the car was rolled onto the dyno.

20151030_125343_zpspvw3dm1o.jpg

A base figure was put down 159.2bhp and 151.6ft/lb which for a car with 100 miles on I felt was very good, now I know cars don't really have a running in period but I'm sure it will loosen up with time however day 1 figures are satisfactory. Two hours passed as we waited for joeyd on here to turn up in the rig up ITB Eunos, Joe lives in Manchester like us but was at a training course in Nottingham and was due to show up at 1.... 2 o'clock came and the Map on the ND was done, yet no sign of young Joseph.

20151031_195357_zpsa7xnlg39.jpg

175.8bhp @ 6850 rpm and 158.6 ft/lb @ 4750 rpm.

The gains were impressive, again remembering the car had done 123 miles at the end of the session. The graphs show more then just peak gains though, this is what transforms the car, Torque is gained but not only at that peak 4750 but across the board, the same with horsepower gains but the most important bit of the latter is that the power no longer tails off quite as much, it still produces power all the way to the now higher redline.

What I will say is the little skyactiv engine is very very linear, again shown by graphs. There's no kick or vtec kicking in yo feel, both the two cars mentioned earlier give this more obviously the Honda more so. This makes the Mazda feel slower then it actually is, its such a good pull from down low all the way up, it's still no S2000 but actually, on a country road the "Miada" should be the more flexible and ultimately quicker car. On Track maybe the opposite Time will tell.

As we were Leaving BBR I noticed my phone was on 22% and I had forgot my lead, so we pootled up to Tesco, well, we thought we were going to Tesco then as we got to a roundabout we saw a familiar blue Eunos coming the other way, so we caught up then proceeded to get lost, in the end the Mazdas sat nav became handy and we went pretty much back to BBR... Tesco was pretty much next door.

I challenge anyone to find the Cigarette lighter on a MK4 without having done A) research
cool.png
reading the hand book or C) having watch me or a friend climb under the dashboard. The reason for using the cigarette lighter as opposed to one of the two USB ports was I've noticed all cars with USB ports don't charge phones quickly, and when being used, as I was with the bluetooth sharing spotify over to the MZD system the phone actually doesn't charge at all. Never mind.

So now we had a remapped MX5, a slightly haggard looking Joseph (bucket seats, loud Exhaust and ITBS will do that to a man) and my daily Auris which looked like it had been driven through a building site we headed to our next stop, which much to Joeys delight was Nottingham.. the exact place he had been not 3 hours ago.

Now its become a bit of a tradition for us to stop at a rather famous eatery that rhymes with Scooters, famous for it's staff that could breast feed a creche. Upon arriving we are all pretty damn ruined... Except my Friend in the Auris Hybrid but being greeted by a chubby lad in full Hooters uniform very nearly pushed me and Joe over the edge. Inside though business was as usual, heavily endowed ladies (no pictures.. sorry) however something was a miss, as the late shift staff came in we noticed they were dressed up for halloween.

For any guy in touch with their feminine side think of the scene from Mean girls, most were dressed... well barely dressed with slight face paint, also cat woman is not scary but is damn saucy, however there were 2 or 3 girls who were actually genuinely creepy looking and not all enticing... In fact that combined with Thriller on repeat were enough for us to pay and not be arsed about change.

We ran out to the cars and concluded a very long drive home to Manchester, sitting in more genuinely shitty traffic.

The other two guys decided a detour via The cat and Fiddle which is one of our favourite roads and far trumps and exceeds the EVO triangle. However the Auris sat nav which was leading took the oddest route ever there. Seriously unexplainable, but what we did get was some very narrow but well sighted roads which combined with the night time and being able to see there was nothing coming meant I could start to feel out the handling.

On that note.. The Handling. Now I know car is meant to be soft.. but come on Mazda, seriously, so much roll. I felt sea sick. yawing and pitching, left to right, nose bombing on the brakes and then the car squatting like a dog with worms, the other thing that became clear is that the Bilsteins are so similar to the NB and NC (probably the NA as well but I haven't driven a standard MK1 in a longgggg time) The car was both soft, yet somehow harsh over small imperfections, this feeling compared to the Honda on Kw V3's was less surgical scalpel and more indecisive female.

Now the photos stopped a long time ago as we were so knackered but as we approached the cat and fiddle there was genuine excitement because I genuinely felt not far from home. Once we had started ascending it became foggy, very very very foggy. The LED headlights on the Mazda are exceptional, but I was blown away by the way they 'turn" around corners, really very good! no fog lights sucked balls though. Unfortunately the road was very greasy, this combined with very limited sight and 3 very tired people meant pushing it wasn't possible. but a totally exceptional day, very good car and I can't thank mk1sam! for the brilliant deal on the car much recommended.

If anyones actually gone to the effort of reading this, thank you and sorry its not journalist quality but just my feedback on the day.

Homo spec mazda
Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

Mega update!!!

20151104_150722_zpswszbhj7e.jpg

So updates where updates are due.

Current plans are:

• Coilovers, I will go meister as and when they become available.
  • An Exhaust, I have a lot going on at the moment but I will do it in a modular way, bit by bit then remap to suit.
  • Slightly wider federal RSR's, I have a trackday booked on the 27th and Im expecting monsoons as every november trackday goes, so don't want semi slicks for that.
  • Some sort of aftermarket steering wheel, DAMD or similar when someone makes one that works with the standard airbag and buttons
  • some front splitter, Ideally Odula but £££££
Today I gave it a clean and a coat of wax, found quite a few stone chips so the paint seems to be typical japanese paint. Also Fitted my Private plate (my surname is Gwizdek and GW12 DEK wasn't available)

20151112_160612_zpseujcns1d.jpg

20151112_160602_zpsvsgxovyy.jpg

20151112_154743_zpshpmvrpda.jpg

Might have ordered this too!

IMG-20151112-WA0015_zpslieznyz0.jpg

Homo spec mazda
I didn't get the joke, apologies :tongueout:

That's good though, it's a great looking car.

it probably wasn't funny :(

Thanks!! Needs a really hard smack with the lowering stick, that arch gap is laughable.

Listerine & Poledo
Everyone knows stock mx5s won't make you cool amongst the drift scene kids, Mighty Car Mods Said so

Well, it's your motor to bastardise, crack on.

For those saying "wemahgerr WARRANTYYY!!!!!", the BBR kits don't affect warranty, but that's just the 2.0 kits.

The 1.5 exists almost solely for vaginas and, in 10 years, Young remedials to build home-brew turbos on....they're already forum users on Nutz

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
it probably wasn't funny 😧

Thanks!! Needs a really hard smack with the lowering stick, that arch gap is laughable.
And something doing with the rear wheel offset? Looks a little far in? Or that could just be the angle of some shots?

If i'd known there was some northern CS contingency invading I'd have popped out to say hello either in the bmw or the bike!

Homo spec mazda
And something doing with the rear wheel offset? Looks a little far in? Or that could just be the angle of some shots?

If i'd known there was some northern CS contingency invading I'd have popped out to say hello either in the bmw or the bike!

Yeah I do have some spacers knocking about! daft issue is the rear arch liner has some sort of wind deflector built in, il try and get a picture, so no matter what you do it gives the impression the rears are tucked more then they actually are.

Edit:
11950667_1490006121328875_2114221935_n.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Great day story mate and the car looks awesome. No messing about with getting stuff done, I like it :)

It's slightly quicker than a MK1 on Itb's with a terrible map and a hole in the exhaust. Slightly.
In fact I don't recall there being any difference in performance at all TBH.

Homo spec mazda
Great day story mate and the car looks awesome. No messing about with getting stuff done, I like it :smile:
Thanks! yeah I see no point beating around the bush

Very nice. Really fancy a 1.5 version one day!
I didn't even test drive one, they don't have the LSD option do they? even on a sport
It's slightly quicker than a MK1 on Itb's with a terrible map and a hole in the exhaust. Slightly.
In fact I don't recall there being any difference in performance at all TBH.
It would stand zero chance against a mk2.5 1.8 with tyre writing... fact

Clio 182 - RB
Like the car, i hate personal plates with numbers like that in, makes your car look like a 51 plate [emoji52]

Reactions: Ben

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see you posting Seb!

Love the car, loved the last Mx5 also, thought it was a great drive and half decent inside.

Kinda worried when you mentioned ride though, surely no one wants a sports car that "rolls" so to speak. Surprised you stuck with it. Longer test drive before buying?

Suzuki Jimny
If you think the 2 litre sport is soft then try a 1.5 haha. They are made so that you don't have to be going fast to feel enjoyment, I wouldn't really class it as a 'sports car' though.

Lovely! I had a 2.0 Sport Nav for an afternoon in the summer. Loved it! The only thing I wasn't too keen on, was the rear asthetics, and the seating position. I felt a bit too high despite being as far back/low as it would go...

I was all for ordering one to replace my ST but there are no good lease deals out there on these so I gave up.

image.jpeg

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Good progress so far, and nice figures too.
Looks and sounds like it'd be a right laugh to drive, but just can't get on with the looks.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Nice to see you posting Seb!

Love the car, loved the last Mx5 also, thought it was a great drive and half decent inside.

Kinda worried when you mentioned ride though, surely no one wants a sports car that "rolls" so to speak. Surprised you stuck with it. Longer test drive before buying?
There's nothing wrong with roll on a road car, at all. For everyone that isn't Vettel in disguise it's useful for judging grip etc. I imagine the softer setup makes it quicker than the stats would suggest, loads of traction and the ability to soak up poor surfaces.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
There's nothing wrong with roll on a road car, at all. For everyone that isn't Vettel in disguise it's useful for judging grip etc. I imagine the softer setup makes it quicker than the stats would suggest, loads of traction and the ability to soak up poor surfaces.

This. Having rock solid suspension is alright for tracks but as soon as you hit real world roads you're picking wheels off the floor, skittering across the road and generally suffering for it.

The 172 has coilovers and over normal roads I'd pick the 1.2 I used to have every time. Keeping wheels on the road > epic lowzz.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Having hard suspension has nothing to do with roll.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Of course it does. If you replace your springs with solid blocks of metal how much is the car going to roll? It isn't.

To limit roll enough to be 'normal' you need a really high spring rate, which means that you wouldn't be able to soak up bumps, so you have ARBs to compensate by allowing for softer springs whilst increasing roll stiffness.

Swift Sport
My green MX-5 handles great thanks to the way it's been set up. Perfect blend of comfort and rigidity. Okay, so it won't break any records at Oulton Park but the handling is very predictable and with regular road tyres it's easy to predict when the rear-end will step out. On the other hand my white MX-5 with its track-focused set-up was much less predictable and less stable on B-roads but on track it was superb, but the back-end had a tendency to step-out without warning.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
^ Great example.

The OP's looking to take his on track so will benefit from a stiffer setup.

Anyway this suspension chat is for a different thread or PMs. OP has a really nice car.

Homo spec mazda
Like the car, i hate personal plates with numbers like that in, makes your car look like a 51 plate [emoji52]
As Jesus said, it doesn't look 14 years old, Working in the trade im in I dont get plate envy. A plates a plate.

If you think the 2 litre sport is soft then try a 1.5 haha. They are made so that you don't have to be going fast to feel enjoyment, I wouldn't really class it as a 'sports car' though.
I couldn't bring myself to try one. The 2 litre isn't fast but that must be really slow.

Cracking looking car. That is a really good gain. Its N/a i take it?
yeah N/A matey
Only a clown would think that this car was made in 2001!

@sofaboy , can I have a go? :stig:
Sure you know where I am most days.

Lovely! I had a 2.0 Sport Nav for an afternoon in the summer. Loved it! The only thing I wasn't too keen on, was the rear asthetics, and the seating position. I felt a bit too high despite being as far back/low as it would go...

I was all for ordering one to replace my ST but there are no good lease deals out there on these so I gave up.
Yeah I must say seating position isn't ideal currently but nothing is unfixable

I Totally get a soft car on the road but this thing just feels extra vague as you try and work out when the roll stops, it's not bad though. Much Prefer the suspension on the GT86 and S2000 which give plenty of feel even with EPAS.

^ Great example.

The OP's looking to take his on track so will benefit from a stiffer setup.

Anyway this suspension chat is for a different thread or PMs. OP has a really nice car.

Thanks 😌