ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I am a little torn! 182 v 172 cup

Less
Well been doing loads of research etc, reading the forums.
Really torn now and undecided on car to aim for.

At the start it was all 182 Racing blue... super! But since reading, i dont really want all the toys, the air con yes, but the half leather seats... Not mega bothered bothered.
The dual exhaust... its only a look!
Speed does not seem to be an issue. Both going tobe enough for me
Less to go wrong on a 172!

And there is actually a big price diff of around 1-2K between the 182 racing blue and a decent 172 cup. (have to be cup version)

All torn!!!!! and its a tough one.

ps most people here seem more happy with their 172s

Mk4 .:R32
^^ he's right. Seems like your leaning towards the cup. Go for the cup. Cheaper to buy like you said! And theres not much, if any difference in speed.

Mk4 .:R32
I think the 182's look better. But it's whether you can justify the extra cash. If you can live without the climate control and cruise control u should be fine!!

Less
newer 172 cups come with AC and ABS??? or am i mistaken.

Look seems minimal!.
More reading.
No air con, no spare tyre. Hmm there is a few little things that have been taken away.
Really unsure cos the cost is reacable

Last edited:
  106 GTi
182 Cup was a pointless exercise, get the 172 Cup if that is your sort of car.

Never any ABS on the 172 Cup though.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Another thing is you'll find far more Cups for sale than Racing Blue 182s.

The Cup colour's the most common of all 172s, they made about 5 times as many 172 Cups as Racing Blue 182s

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
resale will prob be better with the 172cup in comp with the 182 as there numbers are going down and down. - due to chav mods and chav bad drivers putting them in ditches.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bit more accurate:
Monaco Blue 172 468 8.59% of all 172s
Iceberg Silver 172 1304 23.92%
Pearl Black 172 807 14.80%
Flame Red 172 480 8.81%

Mondial Blue 172 Cup 2302 42.23%
Iceberg Silver 172 Cup 90 1.65%

Cups are so rare!;)

(Not counting phase 1 172s)

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
182. Exhaust looks and aftermarket would sound better imo. Cruise control and air con. They're not that much, just don't be picky about colour, why does it have to be a racing blue if you'll also consider a 172cup ?

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
go for the cup mate, who need air con man??? nah im biased, both are awesoem but if you want a better sensation for speed go for the cup

clio 182 ff
the cup is nice but i would get the 172 sport r the 182 sport cos later u will prob what the extras like air con leather seats ect.:)

BMW M3
I hardly use my cruise control but dont fancy a summer without AC.

Hmmmmm, its like sticking your head in a freezer :rasp:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
172 is the real Cup and look lovely :) (mine)

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

its all about the colour ;)

Last edited:
  Breaking A 172 Replica
The 172 looks far better as standard IMO.

The 182 looks cheap IMO and those anthracite alloys look like toy alloys.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
pro's and cons. 182 will be newer, i think there are MUCH better exhausts available.....i quite like the anthricite 182 cup alloys too...... 172 Cup looks the best in standard form, (imo) better lighter alloys, gorgeous colour (not a fan of inferno, racing blue is ok mind). Also the 182 cup gets an even worse steering wheel than the standard 172/182 version

BMW M3
lol.... and that it. Its the way you said it just sounded like its a completely different car lol.

I dont see why though ? I like them.

Megane Trophy, Golf
LOL the cup is the rarest mk2 172, its just the colour which isnt! theres less 172 cups than there is 172's. ;)

Seat Leon Cupra 290
there not really that rare though, will be in a few years though when everyone had smashed them up

i like my 182 cup more than my 172 cup

Breaking A 172 Replica
lol, reading it again I know what you mean Justin!

I don't know, I just love the cup turinis, the colour and the way they don't have dual exhausts.

Sam

Seat Leon Cupra 290
dunno, i like the toys, bit more power to it, like the colour more, alloys better, twin exhust looks the bomb, and its newer, warrenty, gearbox feels better but that probably isnt anything to do with the actual models,

BMW M3
lol, reading it again I know what you mean Justin!

I don't know, I just love the cup turinis, the colour and the way they don't have dual exhausts.

Sam

See what you mean Sam. I secretly really like turinis and agree standard 172 cups look mint. Ive changed a few things on mine to get it looking how i want it. I think a 182 (cup pack) thats lowered with Janspeed looks just as nice.

178hp 172 Cup
i am lucky enuff too hav both!! well i own a 172 cup and the gf has a 182!!

tbh performance wise there dont feel anything in it, the cup is slightly quicker on paper but it dont feel any quicker when driving.

the main thing between the 2 is the luxury's u get with the 182 over the 172 cup. Climate control, half leathers, ac, abs, traction control, zenon headlights etc. but u do pay for it!! my gf payed £9500 for her 182 (54 plate) in November and i jus payed £5700 for a mint 172 cup ( 52 plate ) both with similar milage. and tbh the only difference i feel is the luxury!!

u seem to hav already made up ur mind on a 172 cup and no doubt its a geat choice but look at it in the long run. i only brought the cup coz it will end up being a track car only for me. but if brought it to drive daily the 182 is a nicer option!!!!

BMW M3
But Justin, we dont get summers up here, in spite of global warming.

You mean you dont get summers... your on the west coast mate lol

But seriously, sometime ive got in my clio and can hardly breath due to the temp. I know it doesnt get hugley hot but it roasting inside the car in the summer.

cup 182 mit stripes
I live on the Roseneath peninsula Justin, right on the Gulf Stream, we all have palm trees in our gardens,more temperate climate than Old Reekie, but never felt the need for air-con.

BMW M3
I live on the Roseneath peninsula Justin, right on the Gulf Stream, we all have palm trees in our gardens,more temperate climate than Old Reekie, but never felt the need for air-con.

Thats me shot down then lol. Still, I know its not essential but I find it nice in the summer. In fact ive used it a few times this week even. Plus it better a clearing condensation quicker. Just my opinion.