ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i cant decide on 172 or 172 cup...

An orange one

coming from a saxo VTR with no air con etc...wanting a 172..the cup version is appealing cause of cheaper insurance and meant to be more fun, but i really love the seats in standard 172s...and all the goodies like air con etc..

help..dunno what to do? do many 172 interiors go for sale on here?

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by ColinG on 23 March 2005
elephant.co.uk...£250 cheaper than regular 172 :)

Think theyve made a mistake. Both 16D insurance group.

After owning a Cup and loving the acr alot, I ahve to say in the summer wthout a sunroof or air con was a pain. And the lack of ABS which was not a problem for me is not to everyones taste. Also lack of 3 seat belts in the back can be annoying. Go for the normal 172, get some Turini wheels for it, the cup splitter and lower it and you will have the best of both.

Im a former VTR owner who bought a cup and I love it!

Never have any regrets about not getting a normal 172 as I know that mine is (slightly!) quicker and I just like the fact that there seem to be less cups about.

Especially silver ones like mine...!!!

get the real version, the cup (as proved by many this winter) is a liability for most drivers, at least the driver aids will help you

plus leather, air con, xenons, spare wheel all count for me

for a little extra outlay, its the better all round car

though if you do plenty of trackdays the cup will be a good choice, although the difference is only minimal

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

I had the same dilemma. I have now bought the MK1 172 with low milage and love it. Only a few kgs heavier than the stripped out MK2 Cup.

An orange one

hmmm....people saying all options here lol...going on a budget of around 9k for as new a car as possble so im not expecting to get a 182?!?

no driver aids is fine..im fast but always very wary and careful...and the lack of air con ive done without it till now, just wanted leather n a few toys..hmm

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Rob669 on 23 March 2005

I had the same dilemma. I have now bought the MK1 172 with low milage and love it. Only a few kgs heavier than the stripped out MK2 Cup.
If you think the cup is "stripped out" then you havent been in a Pug Rallye. The Cup still has as much more than a VTR. Cant think out anything my VTR had over my Cup (expect the optional ABS)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

hmmm....people saying all options here lol...going on a budget of around 9k for as new a car as possble so im not expecting to get a 182?!?

no driver aids is fine..im fast but always very wary and careful...and the lack of air con ive done without it till now, just wanted leather n a few toys..hmm

answered your own question about toys, leather etc...

still saying that i love my cup! but i do wonder from time to time about the dark side (full fat) 172!, but i just love the raw appeal and the colour too!

also there is a full 172 leather on ebay at the mo.... chuck that in it, then sell it when you sell the car

[Edited by gt_gaz on 23 March 2005 at 6:51pm]

Cup 172

Get a 172 Cup.

I tried both and found that the Cup is a bit rawer and more involving, which is what I was after. It can be hard work, but I still wake up and decide to take it for 300 mile thrashes, just for the hell of it...

Plus, I always think that the standard 172 mk2, looks a bit too similair to the slower ones, unless (like most people on here) you know what you are looking for.

I drove both when buying my cup and the cup felt much more responsive and lively. In the real world there is nothing in it performance wise just a different feel to the driving experience... if your more of a layed back driver then the full fat 172 is probably the better option with all the toys to enjoy. The cup takes a bit more work as you need to keep your wits about you a bit more with the exagerated torque steer\twitchiness, expecially on country roads.

If you after a focused motor to drive hard all the time like i was then the cup is a bargain.

Test drive them both, easiest way to decide.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 23 March 2005

Tbh, if I was buying now Id buy a 182 with Cup packs or a 172 Cup.
LOL but you have to say that!

Tested both the 172 and Cup, and the Cup felt like a differrent car, far more involving bought there and then, now owned for 2 years from new and not a single regret great performance with an average of 35mpg, BUY ONE! some of these unusual "cup" variants worry me?? silver and others with air con, am I losing my mind!!!!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Std 172 it is then. If you come across some cash in the future, buy some coilovers and you have a car that will handle better than a cup

What exactly do you get in the cup packs?

I bought an 02 plate 172 recently, I use it as my everyday work car so didnt want to sacrifice the leather, ABS, climate control etc...

Too be honest if youre a good driver, cup or not youll still have fun.

An orange one

think im going to plump for a cup, theres an 03 plater on autotrader at the mo, with the 17" turninis on, looks awesome :)

been on K-Tec racings web page, looking for a small lowering, the eibach -30mm spring kit seems to be good...but i always thought such a well set up car would need coilovers to maintain the original handling etc..

is anyone here just running std dampers and lowered springs?

cheers