ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Cro

Meg'd r27
Colour scheme looks excellent, did any of the parts warp or deform from the powdercoating?

BMW Z4
this is looking awesome. looks too good to race. the car will be in good hands with mat

Yes my thoughts have drifted to what Tony said about scratching it LOL. I think I am gonna show up and NOT race but just have mine as a show car. Gonna put a banging stereo in it next bro init. Brap....

BMW Z4
What made you go for ktec exhaust Mark? When's the car going to be at tdf?

Just because I wanted something quick and as this engine is standard it does not really matter to be honest. Over winter when I tune my second engine I shall get a race exhaust made up. Or buy one.

Mark

Lionel Richie
a few things i've noticed

posh header tank - i wouldn't as you can't visually check the level
mani wrap - those metal zip ties are crap, they will break!

form over function ftl... stainless lockwire ftw....

its definatly coming together as a very very good build... hats off!!

M3, Cup racer'd 182
This is one epic build. Nothing but respect for you i worship the ground you walk on lol,

I'll pm you Tuesday mate.

BMW Z4

What do you use Fred instead of those ties as they were quite expensive and I thought they were meant for the job? As for the Tank, yeh form over function and I do so like a bit of bling :)

CBR1K, F21 125D
Not sure what Fred uses' but I use stainless locking ties, never had a problem.. (touches *wood)

*penis

TrackCar & F30 330d
I used Joubilee clips where i could when wrapping my Mani.

Not sure if your suppose to but i saw it on another car so i did it myself.

2fff730e.jpg

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Coming along nicely, engine looks really nice! As for the header tank and not being able to see the levels - wouldnt be too much work to get a sight gauge tapped in to solve that issue. Unless you've filled it up already, then it'll be a pain in the bum

BMW Z4
Latest Update

So another day another update. As you can see Chrispy is in my garage :) I struck a deal with him and he is now officially helping out with the build. Suffice it to say this has helped me a lot as of course many hands make light work :)

So firstly we set about cutting my doors out and fitting the Oreca (Fail) doorcards.

Chrispy.jpg

Cutting the doors out to lighten them up a bit.

Door_Cutout1.jpg

Door_Cutout2.jpg

Door_Cutout3.jpg

Door_Cutout4.jpg

Door_Cutout5.jpg

Door_Cutout6.jpg

Door_Cutout7.jpg

The final fitted Oreca panel. As you can see the Oreca fail is that the door handle is now upside down DOH. It still works but it is of course a bit odd.

Oreca_panelFit1.jpg

Oreca_panelfit2.jpg

Oreca_panelfit3.JPG

Still they do look very nice with the blue screws and all :)

My Whiteline arrived yayyyyyyyy

Whiteline_Arrives.jpg

Whiteline_unpacked.jpg

Wrong Bracket FAIL! DOH.

Whiteline_Fail.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that Motorsport is full of companies that do half hearted and shoddy work with zero quality control. I have lost count of the number of parts that have arrived now only for them to be wrong and have to be sent back, the packaging is generally awfull too, you never get any fixing bolts or screws either. This has cost me countless wasted hours and phone calls.

There are some serious gaps in this market for quality and quality service too. Let me down once and I will forgive you, let me down twice and I'm pissed. You don't get a third chance in my book.

In saying the above Ktech and Demon Tweeks have been outstanding as always in supporting me and my project.

So moving swiftly on. I set about fitting my shiney new flase floors. My mate who owns the Radical company had knocked up some spacers for me at 35mm.

False_Floor_Spacers.jpg

I will get him to make some at 25mm too just in case 35 is to high. This is the driver side fitted using M8 bolts into the spacers.

False_FloorDriverfit1.jpg

False_FloorDriverfit2.jpg

With that side done I set about the passenger one which is going to have all my electrics on it and also the battery.

False_FloorPass1.jpg

False_FloorPass2.jpg

False_FloorPass3.jpg

False_FloorPass4.jpg

A very nice chap called Doug then roared up on my drive and demanded tea and cakes!!! What a cheek. Still as he gave me a nice OMEX 710 I did a trade with him :) Very nice car he had too :) Mmmmm. Next time when I am not so pushed for time he can take me for a spin in it.

False_FloorPass5.jpg

False_FloorPass6.jpg

So both floors fitted. I like. A lot.

False_Floor_Both.jpg

False_Floor_Both1.jpg

I then fitted my Storm single wiper kit. This was very easy and I just have to set the park on it once I get power to it.

Stormfit1.jpg

Stormfit2.jpg

Lastly I started to route my fuel pipe. As you can see this is going through the sill but on reflection im going to run it down the centre of the car. I saw a nasty Golf T bone recently and it caught fire because his pipe was in the sill and got nipped up.

Fuel_Pipe.jpg

Fuel_Pipe1.jpg

So that's it. Wheels next and I still can't decide between 15's or 16's and also what offset to go for. It seems the lower the offset number the larger the offset (wider track). So I guess an offset of around 20 and then I won't have to run spacers at all.

I have ordered a stud kit now and my fire system is also on its way. My seat has arrived so that can go in next update too.

Mark.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
lol @ Chris.

Nice work as always. love the false floor mate. Wheel wise, I thought you'd decided on 16's due to cooling? Not sure if you'll get away with using an offset of 20 unless you roll the arches out. Especially as i'd imagine you've dropped it a few cm on the KW.

BMW Z4
16's would look better I guess. Chrispy reckons on using ET27. I guess you have to try different ones till you get it right. I like OZ Superourizmos in white :)

Golf GTD Mk7
16's would look better I guess. Chrispy reckons on using ET27. I guess you have to try different ones till you get it right. I like OZ Superourizmos in white :)

You would probably get better cooling with ultras, but super T's look nice

182 trackday racer
Re: Latest Update

The final fitted Oreca panel. As you can see the Oreca fail is that the door handle is now upside down DOH. It still works but it is of course a bit odd.

Oreca_panelFit1.jpg

Mark.

Im sure this cant be right? Someone must have made a misstake in production, did you speak to K-tec about it? At K-tec website they are turned the wrong way as well.

Mine will be sent from K-tec today and I dont want them to look like that :dead: Function must be wierd to

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
I do love that flase floor, looks really good.

Well with ET 27 your as wide as you can get on the rear whilst running decent camber. A small trimming of the little lip on the rear arch is needed. You could then use a small hubcentric spacer on the front to give it a slightly wider track. Having the wheels all the same offset means you can swap wheels & tyres front to back.

Having ET 20 will be too wide on the rear and the arch is rub like a bit*h when your hooning it into those corners!

Your Ideal wheel with regards to cooling and weight is the 15" OZ Ultraleggera. Its only about £30 in total more than the Super T's and they are 2-3kg lighter and will cool the brake much more because of the design.

If it was my money i'd get
15" ultraleggeras ET 37
10mm spacers behind the Hub on each rear side.
25mm eibach spacers each side on the front.

Jay and Tony run those spacers with no troubbles.

TrackCar & F30 330d

Im sure this cant be right? Someone must have made a misstake in production, did you speak to K-tec about it? At K-tec website they are turned the wrong way as well.

Mine will be sent off from K-tec today and I dont want them look like that :dead: Function must be wierd to

Yes they are the wrong, the handles dont fit in the orginal holes and when you pull the handle it hits the metal so you will need to cut part of your door away and attach the handle with a new bolt and nut.

It didnt matter too much with this cars doors as we were trimming the skins anyway, and we didnt have the time to mess about and send them back. Still look great tho :)

182 trackday racer

Yes they are the wrong, the handles dont fit in the orginal holes and when you pull the handle it hits the metal so you will need to cut part of your door away and attach the handle with a new bolt and nut.

It didnt matter too much with this cars doors as we were trimming the skins anyway, and we didnt have the time to mess about and send them back. Still look great tho :)

Okay, so K-tec are aware of it anyway? I have no plan to cut my doors on to pieces to make them fit.

Ph2 Clio 172
My Whiteline ARB arrived with an incorrect bush. Dropped an email to Whiteline in Australia and within a day they had contacted the UK distributor and got a replacement bush in the post to me. Got handled well, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

TrackCar & F30 330d

Okay, so K-tec are aware of it anyway? I have no plan to cut my doors on to pieces to make them fit.

I'm unsure if they know about it but if you actually look at the middle picture of the door cards it shows that the handle mount is upside down

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=3811&catid=25&appid=2&pic=4

I'm 100% sure they DO NOT fit unless you hammer the sh*t out of the door to push the metal back and drill a new hole for the handle.

Sorry mate.

BMW Z4
My Whiteline ARB arrived with an incorrect bush. Dropped an email to Whiteline in Australia and within a day they had contacted the UK distributor and got a replacement bush in the post to me. Got handled well, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Yes Sean sent me out a new one same day. Ktech are and have been VERY good at support when we get these little manufacturing incidents to deal with and thats what I look for in a company as I do understand that happens, just seems to happen a lot to me :(

BMW Z4
I do love that flase floor, looks really good.

Well with ET 27 your as wide as you can get on the rear whilst running decent camber. A small trimming of the little lip on the rear arch is needed. You could then use a small hubcentric spacer on the front to give it a slightly wider track. Having the wheels all the same offset means you can swap wheels & tyres front to back.

Having ET 20 will be too wide on the rear and the arch is rub like a bit*h when your hooning it into those corners!

Your Ideal wheel with regards to cooling and weight is the 15" OZ Ultraleggera. Its only about £30 in total more than the Super T's and they are 2-3kg lighter and will cool the brake much more because of the design.

15" ultraleggeras ET 37
Jay and Tony run those spacers with no troubbles.

I thought you said 27?

Love that false floor - I need to do that in mine

I've found since the carpets come out I get bad ankle ache after an hour or 2 driving - I put a box under my foot last time I was driving and it was LOTS better.

182 trackday racer
  Golf GTD Mk7
15" ultraleggeras ET 37

I run these for my track wheels, but without spacers and i'm sure they rub while going straight :S. Not sure if I need spacers on. Might be the fat r888's maybe. I'm only on prolines too. Nice wheels though.
Don't forget to get them PC'd orange Mark ;)

182 trackday racer

False_Floor_Spacers.jpg

I will get him to make some at 25mm too just in case 35 is to high. This is the driver side fitted using M8 bolts into the spacers. Mark.

So all spacers are 35mm? In that case I guess the alu plate is slightly bent to fit?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Superb update, Some really nice work there. All this spare time Chris has his should be done by now :p

BMW Z4

So all spacers are 35mm? In that case I guess the alu plate is slightly bent to fit?

Yes it is although it's hardly noticeable. My original idea was to mount with all 35mm and then get them adjusted accordingly but both Chris and I thought it looked ok once it was in place so im not sure I need to now. The passenger side one is beng altered as one of the spacers needs to be 50mm, the front right one.

The floors came from larkspeed for £40 I think.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I thought you said 27?

I think Ultraleggeras only come in ET37 which is why you would run 10mm spacer at the back and 25 on the front.

If you can get them in ET27 then thats a bonus and we will then just run a 10-15mm spacer at the front.

182 trackday racer

Yes it is although it's hardly noticeable. My original idea was to mount with all 35mm and then get them adjusted accordingly but both Chris and I thought it looked ok once it was in place so im not sure I need to now. The passenger side one is beng altered as one of the spacers needs to be 50mm, the front right one.

The floors came from larkspeed for £40 I think.

Okay thanks,

I consider making something similar beacuse of the beam on the drivers side floor.

If theres trouble with the door cards I think Ill go for these instead. They have some other parts you may be interested in as well ;)

http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/team_hink_racing/Carbon%20delar/Carbon%20parts%20Renault%20Clio/

BMW Z4
I run these for my track wheels, but without spacers and i'm sure they rub while going straight :S. Not sure if I need spacers on. Might be the fat r888's maybe. I'm only on prolines too. Nice wheels though.
Don't forget to get them PC'd orange Mark ;)

My thoughts exactly chap :)

BMW Z4

Okay thanks,

I consider making something similar beacuse of the beam on the drivers side floor.

Both my floor beams were removed when they fitted the cage for me. Just drill em out with a spot weld drill bit. Chrispy loved that little tool of mine, till he busted it that is :)