ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

BMW Z4
Yeh Ill take that off Fred, Thanks Tony I was wondering if I should shift.

I thought

Paddock 3rd
Druids 3rd maybe 2nd
Graham 3rd
Surtees 3rd
Clearways 3rd

But I guess im losing too much through surtees too and don't need to change down there either so paddock 4th and also surtees 4th yes? Think i should shift to 5th at the end of pit straight or not bother as it would be a quick shift and then down again?

To be honest I found it hard to find a flow as I kept getting held up, enjoyed my real first time a LOT though.

Jonny dunno on lap times as I did'nt realise I had to set the dash pickup point doh.. Next time.

PS
I was a bit reticent to be honest as I got warned to not race blah blah big naughty boy lecture about how dangerous it is and told I was being watched. Makes me laugh, it's a track day on a race track and even there they are paranoid about you going fast! What is England becoming :(

Mk1 Focus RS
Bloke in the Focus was a knob.

Munch Surtees more
Paddock Hill is 4th.;)

Really, how am I?

Didn't think I was doing to bad in my 1200kg Focus on standard road suspension and some old a048's. First track day an all.

Last time I camp in your back garden Tony lol

172 Race Car
Mark, the whole circuit is 3rd gear. change to 4th on pit straight and back to 3rd for druids
Yeh Ill take that off Fred, Thanks Tony I was wondering if I should shift.

I thought

Paddock 3rd
Druids 3rd maybe 2nd
Graham 3rd
Surtees 3rd
Clearways 3rd

But I guess im losing too much through surtees too and don't need to change down there either so paddock 4th and also surtees 4th yes? Think i should shift to 5th at the end of pit straight or not bother as it would be a quick shift and then down again?

To be honest I found it hard to find a flow as I kept getting held up, enjoyed my real first time a LOT though.

Jonny dunno on lap times as I did'nt realise I had to set the dash pickup point doh.. Next time.

PS
I was a bit reticent to be honest as I got warned to not race blah blah big naughty boy lecture about how dangerous it is and told I was being watched. Makes me laugh, it's a track day on a race track and even there they are paranoid about you going fast! What is England becoming :(

182cup & 172 racecar
Really, how am I?

Didn't think I was doing to bad in my 1200kg Focus on standard road suspension and some old a048's. First track day an all.

Last time I camp in your back garden Tony lol
No it's not, you know you'll be back because you like the abuse.

Get out the way, blue flashing light.;)

And yes you weren't doing too bad.

182cup & 172 racecar
^eh?? its 4th through surtees ain't it? (flat) but i haven't done brands for a LONG time!! LOL
Can be, depends what the limiter is set at and how you come out of Graham Hill.

Paddock Hill is not flat in 4th though (good god:eek:) but saves a change through the bend, just seems slow but it's not.

Last time you were there it was a Motocross track.

BMW Z4
Thanks for all the tips guys now I have to get on an wrap the car and do these little jobs.

Upcoming mods are

Diff
Cams
Rod bolts
Ballast post (something to put weights on)

The diff will make a big difference Mark, I was very surprised how much difference it made at Snetterton when I was there :) More than welcome take mine out for a few laps to see if you like the diff before you buy if you would like!

BMW Z4
What does it actually do Ash? I guess I should prioritise that over cams etc then?Im like a kid with this car now ive driven it, still got a smile on my face after that day, can't imagine how exciting racing is going to be.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
You going for a Gripper? Thats what I have... it stops car washing wide in my experience. Is that right??

I didnt think it made THAT much difference if I am 1000% honest. Cars pulls on the line you want rather than understeering on.

Is that what its supposed to do?

I have a Gripper in a RWD car of mine as well... lets me paint BIG black lines all over the track! LOTS of fun.

Welcome to drive my Gripper equiped car as well if you like. Also has Cams, ported head, slightly higher comp forged engine and ITB's

I'd save your money and spend it on tuition and practice and racing rather than spunky bits myself. Tuition and seat time make you go faster. Not cams etc...

I never do Paddock flat out but I do leave in 4th after an instructor at Brands told me too - there's little point down shifting as it's such a fast drop down anyway you can save a gearchange

Surtees is flat out in 4th - and cut, but I learnt last year not to cut it too much after I got 8" of fresh air under my left wheels going through there a bit too deep lol

I love Brands - want to get back there again this year

Golf GTD Mk7
What does it actually do Ash? I guess I should prioritise that over cams etc then?Im like a kid with this car now ive driven it, still got a smile on my face after that day, can't imagine how exciting racing is going to be.

It's to do with torque transfer to the wheels which have more traction. Depends on the type of diff how they work, but put simply you can put your foot down much sooner to pull yourself round a corner and it shouldn't understeer. It should make for faster laps too, but it'll probably feel wierd at first as to where you can put the power down.

BMW Z4
Excellent info guys thanks. As for Cams I only thought of doing those next as I was pissed that the little red peugot pulled away from me on the straight :(

172 cup, Impreza P1
Excellent info guys thanks. As for Cams I only thought of doing those next as I was pissed that the little red peugot pulled away from me on the straight :(

probably weighed about 200kg lighter than you!

Sounds like you're having a blast with the car which is the main thing.

As Jonny says its sends the torque to the wheel that needs, As Jonny also says it feels weird to get used to as you can put the power down much earlier than before. I noticed this mostly at Snetterton with the fairly low speed corners that you wanted to power out of and it was a vast improvement. In all honesty I can't say I even noticed it at Donington although maybe that was because I was used to it. Yes if you want to go for one then I would go for the diff as I would much rather loose the power of mine than the grip/handling. The diff will allow you to put more power down earlier so at the end of a straight so you will be going faster than without one.

I have got the Quaife in mine as I wanted a fit and forget solution but as Porkie says they also offer a Gripper diff which you can alter the ramp/preload.

I have exactly the same feeling and can't wait to get out on track each time :D

You going for a Gripper? Thats what I have... it stops car washing wide in my experience. Is that right??

I didnt think it made THAT much difference if I am 1000% honest. Cars pulls on the line you want rather than understeering on.

Is that what its supposed to do?

I have a Gripper in a RWD car of mine as well... lets me paint BIG black lines all over the track! LOTS of fun.

Welcome to drive my Gripper equiped car as well if you like. Also has Cams, ported head, slightly higher comp forged engine and ITB's

I'd save your money and spend it on tuition and practice and racing rather than spunky bits myself. Tuition and seat time make you go faster. Not cams etc...
Yes that's pretty much it Porkie, If yours isn't snatchy and you feel it's not doing much then it would probably be worth increasing the ramp angle/preload which will make it more aggressive.

That's what I am doing now, I decided enough was enough on putting bits on so now all money is aimed at sorting me out and getting plenty of track time!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Com Bedford on saturday then James :) taking Westy, Exige and Ferrari is filling in for my sadly absent Clio :(

Weather looks good!

Com Bedford on saturday then James :) taking Westy, Exige and Ferrari is filling in for my sadly absent Clio :(

Weather looks good!
I had put it in my diary when you mentioned it but I am busy all weekend and can't get out of it :( I wish I could though as would be good to meet you and I've never done Bedford so would be good practice in getting used to new circuits! We will sort something out soon though

Golf GTD Mk7
Not sure if quaife do the option, but gripper can provide a different crown wheel, shortening the ratios which improves acceleration, but reduces top speed (not important unless Spa is on you calendar ;))

172 Race Car
No quaife use the stock crown wheel. you have to send them the old diff and they swap it over.

Loads of final drive ratios available aftermarket but ££££. We explored lots of OE Renault options but decided that stock Phase 2 was best

Golf GTD Mk7
Figured it might be a bit pricey. Not even worth considering if your going to be up and down gears all the time.

172 Race Car
Figured it might be a bit pricey. Not even worth considering if your going to be up and down gears all the time.
I stuck it all in the gear calculator a while back. the company in Italy that does final drives only had one that would be lower than stock. Yes, you would end up changing gears alot.

Better off just changing 5th like we did. will only need it at Snett and possibly combe. (think we used it at Bedford but cant remember)

BMW Z4
Hmm a Laguna 5th gear eh, I shall bear that in mind. Talking of cams, which ones should I go for when I get them please?

Golf GTD Mk7
^^ you can yes.

Cam wise, it depends on whether you're sticking with standard internals really mate. I'm running 421's as are Jay and Tony now. Great cams for ITB's. But there are more track focused options out there but you need to mess with lifters, springs.

Golf GTD Mk7
You'll need uprated springs for those. I believe there is issues with some of the cams causing valve tap on the pistons, but I'm not sure which ones that was. FYI;

Catcam specs.JPG

There are other companies than catcam though.

Golf GTD Mk7
In all honesty, i'd try running the car for a bit as is. Get the diff, and see how it goes. At the end of the day it's going to be a new belt kit, cams, and depending what you opt for new springs, valves if you're feeling flush with solid lifters. Head will have to come off as well. Not a quick job really.