ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Awesome result in Quali Mark :) I was checking your progress on TSL and as said above I got confused and thought the 3rd place was the race result but then realised lol.

Real shame about the start and coming off but as you say its all a learning experience and at least the car is OK and ready to go out and try again. The Honda and Pug do seem mega with the lap times.

Best of luck for the future races! When's next time out?

172 Race Car
Now to the questions Tony and Jay and anyone else with race experience?

1. My back inside wheels lift a LOT I am told in cornering, is that a bad thing?

2. I lock my wheels occasionaly up hailwoods hill, should I refit my ABS do you think?

3. Occasionally under heavy braking I get a bang/clonk frown the back, is that the cup bias thing clonking do you think as all is tight under there?

I think the car has the measure of the field apart from the the Pug and the civic. They were very quick in both quali and race too, the pug left me on the straight like I was standing still.

PS
I shall appeal my points now I have seen the video footage.
Wow, that was a baptism of fire. Our first trip to brands was eventfull too.

Starts are my favorite, the build up to it and the launch. Brilliant. To start with you should just try and do a quick 'traffic light' getaway. Very hard to practice them as there is nowhere to do it. you would get thrown out of the meeting if you tried to do it in quali or on warm up lap. If you do a dummy grid then thats a good time to try. As said start off with normal getaway and work from there.

answers to your questions:

1, probably not, ours does it alot now.
2, need to drive around it or if its bad then maybe look at different pad spec or bias
3, wouldnt be the bias valave, could be anything else tho. exhaust knocking maybe?

as for appealing points, if you feel you did nothing wrong then you could try. Id prob take it on the chin tho. what does the video show?

One of my best starts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9JQLuuOUwc&list=UU4XGGJmOspejIJCISgHWRFQ&index=9&feature=plcp

Schma Schme 1.6l
6. Darren (he runs an Audi with my team) and I Got called to the stewards office and both given 2 points on our license for overtaking under yellow at hailwoods!!!!!

ARRRsoles!!

that is a bit unjust for your first outing. it wasn't a fat git with a attitude was it?

never refit abs, you will soon learn to make your brake pressure the abs.

BMW Z4
Thanks for the advice guys.

Shall I take off the cup thingy then and fit a proper bias valve inside the car? Braking everywhere else seemed fine. Back end goes a bit light sometimes in corners too, had a BIG tank slapper in Paddock that I managed to save :)

Clerk of course was called Brian I think, nice enough chap but he had the MSA there monitoring him all day as the MSA have said that clerks should be more heavy handed with penalty's this year as they have been too lenient, there was a MASSIVE queue outside his office LOL I feel like I have had a baptism of fire LOL

Next out in May at Silverstone, 13th I think.

Any ideas how the pug and the civic could be so much faster than the rest of us B class boys??

Mark.

172 Race Car

Shall I take off the cup thingy then and fit a proper bias valve inside the car? Braking everywhere else seemed fine. Back end goes a bit light sometimes in corners too, had a BIG tank slapper in Paddock that I managed to save :)

no leave it as it is and see how you get on.

182cup & 172 racecar
Took me ages to hunt down and pass a Saxo, so don´t be too hard on yourself Mark.

All these things you learn I´m afraid.

Either change pads or put a little more weight on the front, will make a big difference.

TrackCar & F30 330d
What a cracking quali!! Well done Mark!

Big shame about the start and spin but like you said you've just got to take them all as learning points.

Deffently keep the brake set up as it is for now, I made it that way because of what other actuall Clio race cars had. As you get more races under your belt you'll get used to how to use the brakes to their limit.

So do you have any videos or pictures of the car all stickers up and on the track?

BMW Z4
No it's a 205 from RAW motorsport, Very fast as was the integra that got disqualified. The pug had VERY wide wheels and tyres on it or so it looked, is that an advantage to go as wide as you can on wheel and tyre? Can I fit an 8 inch rim with 215's on for example or do you lose out elsewhere if you do that?Mark

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
No it's a 205 from RAW motorsport, Very fast as was the integra that got disqualified. The pug had VERY wide wheels and tyres on it or so it looked, is that an advantage to go as wide as you can on wheel and tyre? Can I fit an 8 inch rim with 215's on for example or do you lose out elsewhere if you do that?Mark

you can fit 8's front and 9's rear if you really wanted.... and if you get the right offset, (would probably have to go custom)
more tyre touching the tarmac = better grip i would of thought....

but i can't imagine it would be THAT much of an advantage

BMW Z4
Yes I thought that I must be better on a 205 than a 195 for example just becasue you have more rubber = more grip, but I didnt know if there are other factors at play if you go too far?

182 trackday racer
I have tried with 8" rims ET 30 in front and they will fit running -4 camber. 225/45 15" would be perfect on such a rim. 205/50 15" on 7" or 7,5" ET 43 rear.

Hmmm not sure what engine he'd be allowed to use.. most mi16's have oil surged themselves to oblivion nowadays.. the iron block xu10 engine can do 250/260hp if done right.. and if its a new ew?? lump it'll be lighter and a few of the top tuners claim to hit 270/280 hp.. added to the fact they can get the weight down to 750kg pretty easily im guessin the tire width is the least of the issues...

BMW Z4
Hmm think Im limited here on tyre sizes for racing as Direzzas only come in these sizes I think

195/50R15

195/55R15

205/50R15

205/55R16

225/45R16

215/45R17

225/45R17

Yokos AO48 come in these

205/50 r15

225/50 r15

225/40 r16

Mark

What rims would you run without spacers with the Yoko 225/50 r15? front and rear?

BMW Z4
Doesnt matter. Top of class B is 175bhp/Ton max. My car and also my team mate Darren's Audi sit right on this limit with mine at 174. I would not expect another class B car to leave me so easily on the straights.

Is it just power thats capped to a bhp/tonne limit.. is torque whatever you can acheive within that power to weight limit??

I have no idea on what the ratios are for a clio box but the BE box in the 205's is very good for its mix-n-match potential throughout the pug/citroen range

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
Which Cams Jonny? Does that just give you more tourque then but not more BHP at wheels? I guess I need a remap if I put cams and high comp pistons in yes?

Golf GTD Mk7
What cams are you running ATM? Maybe a less peaky cam would be a better option. Longer trumpets might give you extra torque also.

BMW Z4
Decided to go the handling route first and am fitting a diff. Can I covert my clutch to hrdraulic so i can fit a pedal box? Anyone done that or is there a kit?

182 track, Mk7 ST
The diff route certainly seems like the better idea at the mintue and could gain you those extra couple of seconds a lap. Are you going for the gripper diff or the quaife? Can't remember what you said about them a while ago.

Have you got any pics of the car since it's been stickered up etc? I haven't managed to find any pictures of the race the other day yet :(

182 track, Mk7 ST
That 205 looks mint!!

This was at Brands a couple of weeks ago testing when I was doing a trackday there and it looks amazing, best 205 I think I've ever seen by far!

Extremely quick and seemed very well setup too, cocked a rear wheel on near enough every corner though lol! Left me for dead within seconds each time it passed :/

If it is anything like my car a fllor mounted solution couldnt be done due to legroom issues..

is there room to pass the cylinders through the bulkhead and have them sat in the engine bay?? Or is the manifold too close??

If so you may have to look at what i made and position them pointing up towards the back of the clocks...

1318336559040-orig.jpg

2011-09-22143436.jpg

as for converting to hydrauluc clutch, some of the 106 boys use an aftermarket wilwood slave cylinder then bespoke brackets to strap it on to the original cable linkage arms on the box...

BMW Z4
Is it this car you're reffering to?

http://www.snappyracers.com/album/2012/240312Brands/slides/BX8R9538.html

If so i think i know the Drivers brother so might be able to enquire as to the spec.

I was there Sunday and stupidly took quite a few extra photos of an almost identcal clio running in the Team Trophy - doh!

Yeh I think that's the one. Not sure how he got past this reg mind you with those front arches ;) Lovely looking car mind you and VERY fast too

The removal of exterior decorative strips and bumper overriders is permitted.
Reworking or modification to exterior bodywork is prohibited but any part of the
arch/wing pressing folded into the wheel arch may be deformed, but not removed, to
give clearance to the tyres.

Any item below the centreline of the wheel must not
project beyond a line drawn at 45 degrees to the horizontal and tangential to the
bodywork (not including overriders).

BMW Z4
The diff route certainly seems like the better idea at the mintue and could gain you those extra couple of seconds a lap. Are you going for the gripper diff or the quaife? Can't remember what you said about them a while ago.

Have you got any pics of the car since it's been stickered up etc? I haven't managed to find any pictures of the race the other day yet :(

Gripper diff Grant with shorter final drive to give me a more close ratio box, also putting a plate clutch in it as I am sure I was getting clutch slip at Graham hill bend when coming on the power. I would get that distinctive pitch increase and then decrease as it picks up. Pics to follow.

BMW Z4
I'm going to upload the video of quali even though it is recorded at double speed (very annoyed about that) race tech are trying to figure out how sometimes it records fine and others at double speed. Still you will be able to see my jinking at paddock LOL :)

Oil Burner
Be sure to buy that pic off Jon ;) its a brilliant catch. Although to be fair you did well not to drop it in front of him, he has a reputation as a crash magnet.