ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Golf GTD Mk7
Looking very neat Mark. Does the positive and negative wires from the battery go through the bulkhead at the same point? or is that a fancy connection :eek:

182cup & 172 racecar
We still ran 2.5 deg neg on rear.

This gave an even heat spread over the width of the tyre,to within a couple of deg anyway.

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh makes it easy to work on being there, I am VERY impressed with Northampton Motorsports neatness on the wiring. Am I gonna see you at a track day this year?

I plan to have the car sorted this year..... but i have said that before,
depends if i have any funds left after that... i hope so

BMW Z4
Well I passed my ARDS test. Bit harder than I thought as in my laziness I had not revised the flags dohhhh and then you have to know them all. I went into photographic memory mode when they showed the video LOL.

Track day at Brands on the 19th feb to get ready for March race there.

182cup & 172 racecar
Well I passed my ARDS test. Bit harder than I thought as in my laziness I had not revised the flags dohhhh and then you have to know them all. I went into photographic memory mode when they showed the video LOL.

Track day at Brands on the 19th feb to get ready for March race there.
Well done Mark.

Most of it is common sense,does help to have a photographic memory.

Whats on at Brands in March

BMW Z4
First Track day trophy round Tony. Ash just make sure you know ALL the flags and the difference between waved and static. The other questions are easy and multiple choice.

182 trackday racer
Looking good there! What size of laminova did you buy and what size on the connections? Any pictures of it installed?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Congratulations on passing the ARDS, it's a shame your first race is in March, I'll be living in Munich then! Your oil cooler looks pretty fancy!

Evo 5 RS
Very trick that! Hats off to you.
electronics4.jpg

BMW Z4
So Im setting up my Race tech software and it wanst to know the following

Gear ratios

I have these as

1st - 3.36
2nd - 1.86
3rd - 1.32
4th - 1.09
5th - 0.82
final drive - 4.06

Rolling circumference I have as

195 55 15 tyres has a rolling circumference of 1836.26 mm

Ignition Pulses as 0.5 per revolution

But what are the following

CDa ??
Rolling resistance ??
Vehicle Mass ??

Power in KW ??

Cheers

CdA is the drag co efficient of the car which for the mk2 clio as standard I'm fairly sure is 0.35!

Not sure about the rolling resistance does it say what unit it needs it in? I guess it will be Crr?

Vehicle Mass is just the weight of the car so see what it weighed when corner weighting which I imagine should of included the weight of you and an average of your usual fuel load

Power in KW is just the power of the car converted into KW and I 'think' its at the wheels so for example 200BHP would be 149KW

Hope that helps although I doubt it needs to be that accurate :) If you have any issues I will have a look on Friday at the settings on my DL1 and let you know!

182 track, Mk7 ST
Absolutely love this project, the attention to detail and thought that goes into these kind of builds is staggering and yours is nothing short of that!

Just seen that you're gonna be at Brands on Sunday so I'll see you there, would love to have a look at this thing in person :)

BMW Z4
My mistake on the tyres they are 50 profiles not 55'sDunlop Direzzas195/50/15sYes I will be there Sunday, I hope the weather is better than the cold fog last time at Donny as I really DO need to push it this weekend and get the tyres hot :) I have to get a small laptop for it now for data and decide what overlay to use for the video 4 system. I also need to read the manuals on the dash, DL1 and camera 4 system before the weekend LOL. I assume they just work together when switched on and you just put a flash card with overlay on it in the camera 4 box and et voila that then stores your video and data. Hope so. I had a quote from racoon of £1300 for complete design and wrap. Going to do the roof in carbon wrap and also the tailgate and the sides in a design based on one of my websites. Pop and say hello Grant, I will be with Bubble and Kick who are supporting me and running the car.

BMW Z4
Bit of an aside but as all the brains come in here I thought I would ask :)

My mate Jons Clio is suffering from an immobiliser issue since he fitted his cutoff switch? Any ideas how you get around this with the standard ECU using a cutoff switch please? He still has the little black thingamibob on the ignition barrel but sometimes the car will start and other times it wont and he has no spark.

Mark.

BMW Z4
Well what a day I had on Sunday at Brands :) I met my new team (Bubble and Kick) and set about getting some data and learning the track. First session was very slippy and heart in mouth lose backend stuff :( Came back in and we decided to remove the ARB and also the rear shims, by this time the sun had come out and on my second session I could start to push it a bit. Came back in again and the guys started to balance the tyre temps and pressures etc.

The car ran like a dream and was very quick, I would say one of the top 5 fastest there myself and was almost, almost keeping up with the caterham guys, i was certainly keeping the minis at bay. I was VERY pleased and it gave me some confidence. I have learnt to boot it when the backend goes light now.

Pics are of my new water cooled oil cooler. The dash is not working totally correctly but I have since found out that I am meant to set a point as my start point when I drive round Doh so I never got any times or had a proper track map drawn up. Oh yes the clutch cable popped off too when I went over a curb so will have to make a special clip to hold that on in future.

Anyway enjoy. Will post up a vid in a bit to Youtube, my first :)

PS
Oh yes and met Grant, top lad, nice to meet you...

SNV82213.jpg

SNV82214.jpg

SNV82215.jpg

SNV82216.jpg

SNV82217.jpg

SNV82218.jpg

Mark

Oh yes jobs to do.

Change sump gasket as its leaking a bit

Change camshaft end plugs as again leaking a bit

Check oil pump as sometimes the pressure is low when hot at idle

Move rear camera back towards the window

Get car wrapped

Get a Diff

Get a fuel guage

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice work mark. Get the oil pump bored out slightly. Will improve efficiency. I've got a spare for sale if you need a spare ;)

BMW Z4
One of my session Videos is up now

[video=youtube_share;B9EoIp7uGRM]http://youtu.be/B9EoIp7uGRM[/video]

Enjoy

Lionel Richie
bin off that rad fan spacer, more trouble than it worth

and your not carrying enough speed into Surtees, its almost flat (in my opinion)

182 track, Mk7 ST
Had a great day even though my trackday was cancelled and moved to 12th March as it was overbooked (don't quite know how they managed it but hey ho). There was a great bunch on track and the weather was excellent once the lines dried out a bit as the morning went on, but still being around with a few mates who were on track made it a good day.

Cheers Mark, was great to meet you too and I've got to say this things looks amazing in the pictures but nothing beats seeing it in the flesh, the quality is staggering and so are the costs from what you were explaining to me lol but definitely seems worth it from where I was standing :) the speed and noise was epic!

At one point during the day I was riding shotgun in the Focus RS (good friend of mine) and he was trying to prove to me that an RS would be quicker than a track prepped Clio so we headed out behind on one of the later sessions to chase Mark down...put it this way we weren't gaining but not dropping back much either so safe to say he failed in his mission lol! Seems I'm keeping the Clio for a little while yet as there's more to be had yet :) just need the budget to match haha!

I've got some pics to upload on here too of the car on and off the track so I'll get them up as soon as I get chance
to.

Last edited: