ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

172 Race Car
Man, that video and telemetry is a mess, how much was that system?

Like watching the nose camera on the starship enterprise

BMW Z4
Suffice it to say im not best pleased with it yet Jay LOL. Normally I would not post such a bad video but I wanted to show you something at elast and also my tank slapper at Paddock :)It might be I need to update my firmware and I also formatted the CF card from windows and not from inside the analysis software which has a special utility to do it. Racetech are looking at it so Ill get sorted. As for how much hmm best part of 2.5k I guessDash2DL1Video 4 with widescreen licenseMountsThnat other car is a Sierra I think or an old cossy. Sounds like an MG42 in Call of duty LOL

TrackCar & F30 330d
Car look brilliant Mark!!

You know what I mean now when I said racing a car is much better than racing a Kart!

When you say you thought the clutch was slipping was it not just the inside wheel not spinning? Clutch is pretty much brand new isnt it?

Diff will make another nice difference. I sort of thought it could do with one when I drove it as Donnington but thought it was because it was difficult to get the tyres hot.

BMW Z4
Yes your possibly right Chris. I will do the diff only first and then see as yes the clutch is a helix organic and also new. Do you like the wrap job then? The roof and tailgate are carbon.

172 Race Car
The diff route certainly seems like the better idea at the mintue and could gain you those extra couple of seconds a lap.
A bit optomistic, we gained 1 second at most circuits

Brands 2010, 57.8
Brands 2011, 56.7

Silverstone 2010, 1:10.6
Silverstone 2011, 1:09.6

Anglesey 2010, 1:21.4
Anglesey 2011, 1:20.4

172 Race Car
Suffice it to say im not best pleased with it yet Jay LOL. Normally I would not post such a bad video but I wanted to show you something at elast and also my tank slapper at Paddock :)
Was good to see it mate, can figure out you were going well, as I said no problem with being around other cars etc, no idea why you got so nervous at the start, lokks like you had it all under control in quali

BMW Z4
I am glad you have confidence in me Jay :) I got nervous because it has taken me a year to get to that point and then I thought flipping heck here I am and I have a whole build thread to update and I might be crap :( No pressure then. I guess you get that when you document everything! I overcame my nerves by telling myself I was just going to pootle round in quali and enjoy it and then when I got out there I just went screw that and went for it :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Yeah I really like the car wrap. Looks like a proper race car now!

If the box is gona come off for the diff then perhaps a lightened flywheel could be purchased? Should help you get up to speed a little quicker and might help you chatch that cheeky Pug. Just a thought!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Glad to hear it went well Mark :) That sounds like a great time to me! I couldn't believe the other day that the the clio cup boys were doing 52.055's it's incredible to think how they can make up so much time just on slicks! Best of luck today I really hope it goes well for you and I can't wait to see how you get on.

I hope the nerves aren't too bad for you!

Its not just the tyres mate. The Transmission is awesome. Have you driven a Sadev equiped Cup? SOOOOOOOOO much fun.

If you wanna try the tyres I have a set of brand new fresh slicks. The exact ones the cup racers used mrtyre motorsport told me. Welcome to borrow and try a session on em. Cars quicker no doubt... I think they are more run on road legal semi slicks though

Its not just the tyres mate. The Transmission is awesome. Have you driven a Sadev equiped Cup? SOOOOOOOOO much fun.

If you wanna try the tyres I have a set of brand new fresh slicks. The exact ones the cup racers used mrtyre motorsport told me. Welcome to borrow and try a session on em. Cars quicker no doubt... I think they are more run on road legal semi slicks though
Yes I hadn't really thought about the gain's from the transmission so thats a good point :), Yes drove one at Palmersport day they really are epic :D

That is a very kind offer thanks Porkie :) We still need to sort out meeting up on a trackday in the near future!

The car's looking great Mark :) Sorry to hear you are having issues with the race tech stuff we have also been suffering technical issues with some of their stuff although I am hoping that this will be sorted when we are at Brands on Tuesday!

It will be interesting to see how you develop the car over these season and I hope the diff works well. As Stu (Frenchthing) has said space is the issue for the pedal box from what I have been told.

Great job on catching the slide's they look lairy ;)

BMW Z4
Cheers Ash

I am working on the car over Easter and have several things to try on the dash side of things so we will see.

I am decided on gripper because I can alter my final drive and I will also out in a lighter flywheel while I have the box out. Going up on tyre size a bit too to 205/50/15s so with all this I am expecting to close that 1.6 seconds the pug had over me in quali but in saying that I have never driven Silverstone before so we will see. I have a test day the day before again which will help a lot.

Racing is the NUTS by the way...

PS
For race starts to you feather the clutch as you pull away guys? Is there a technique I can at least practice?

PPS
Pedal box can wait eh :)

Sounds good Mark, From what everyone says the RT stuff can be a pain to get setup and working but once done then it is fit and forget so I am looking forward to that stage ;)

The diff does make a big difference and it was the one thing that really stood out to me when I drove the car at Snetterton so I'm sure you will be happy with it. I will be interested to see what you think to the 205/50/15's.

I can't wait for my first race although since reading about the tough start and ending up in the gravel I am now really nervous :(

I'm not sure how to do a good start but what I can say is my driveway will be covered in rubber from practising ;)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Yes I hadn't really thought about the gain's from the transmission so thats a good point :), Yes drove one at Palmersport day they really are epic :D

That is a very kind offer thanks Porkie :) We still need to sort out meeting up on a trackday in the near future!

I am at Snets on sunday with Clio and Exige if you are free

BMW Z4
Sounds good Mark, From what everyone says the RT stuff can be a pain to get setup and working but once done then it is fit and forget so I am looking forward to that stage ;)

The diff does make a big difference and it was the one thing that really stood out to me when I drove the car at Snetterton so I'm sure you will be happy with it. I will be interested to see what you think to the 205/50/15's.

I can't wait for my first race although since reading about the tough start and ending up in the gravel I am now really nervous :(

I'm not sure how to do a good start but what I can say is my driveway will be covered in rubber from practising ;)

There is nothing I can say to alleviate the nerves as there is no feeling I have EVER had that compared to being on the second row of a grid with 30 cars behind me!!! I think it would almost be better to qualify last and just follow everyone LOL

However I am going to aim to be on P1 because then you can at least avoid mid pack crashes!!! If you can get away that is!

PH1 172 (Track Car)
I've only just stumbled across this thread! What a bloody good read its been :)

It looks like you have been having a ball - with both the build and the driving.

Well done Mark and thanks for sharing. I will keep an eye on your progress from now on - good luck!

I am at Snets on sunday with Clio and Exige if you are free
I wish mate but i've already got Monday, Tuesday off for Brands :( Don't suppose your free Tuesday?
There is nothing I can say to alleviate the nerves as there is no feeling I have EVER had that compared to being on the second row of a grid with 30 cars behind me!!! I think it would almost be better to qualify last and just follow everyone LOL

However I am going to aim to be on P1 because then you can at least avoid mid pack crashes!!! If you can get away that is!
Haha I will aim to qualify last then :) No but in all seriousness my aim for the first race is just to finish the race and then build it up from there :)

I like the sound of your aim though Mark and i'm sure you will manage it :)

Going to try and set up predictive on the dash 2 next weekend.
Let me know if you need any help Mark as I am setting it up Monday night. We have just had to install the four buttons for it as RT said it's not possible to program it through the config software. I presume you have the four dash2 buttons?

BMW Z4
Hi Ash

Yes I got those. Bit of a pain that you configure the dash in the software config file and then set some parts of it using the menu buttons. Don,t forget to add Time into lap in the config on your pc if you want to see lap time running constant like I do. Predictive you turn on using the menu buttons.

On my dash

I have on screen 1

Water temp
Oil temp
Time into lap

Screen 2

Oil Pressure
Fuel

With alarms set

Don't forget for .LAP files if you're using them to use exact 8/3 format in upper case. This is one of the things I got wrong by naming my brands .lap file like this

BRANDSH.LAP

which is 7/3 doh

it's now called

BRANDSH1.LAP

182cup & 172 racecar
Our first race at Brands, a car on the 3rd row stalled pit lane side.What a mess that was after a car ploughed into it flat out from the back.:eek:
Does make you think a little.

I know I thought it couldn't be right and called RT up but they said there is no way of doing it through the config :(. Thanks for that I thought that was also via the buttons, I need to do that also as the way I set it up at Anglesey only showed me the lap time when I crossed the Start/Finish.

I can't remember what I have got my screens set to but I have about 5 that I do page change through so I may reduce these and keep it simpler.

Yes I do remember reading that thanks Mark, I have fitted a track marker button in the car so that I can just insert the lap markers when I drive round which seemed the quickest option for me and saved having to do the .LAP files

It's all fun and games with the software but the longer I spend on it the more its coming to me :)

BMW Z4
Hi Guys

Well all things change I suppose. This week I have been offered a contract back in Dubai with Nokia and after much discussion between myself and SWMBO and not least because it's tax free money I am going to take it on Monday. It is a long term contract and I will looking to move the GF there too so Sadly motorsport will have to take a back seat for a while.

I have given this MUCH thought this week and will be looking to sell the car as I don't want it sitting in the garage in the UK with no one getting any enjoyment out of it. I built it to be loved and raced and that's what it needs to do.

I suppose this is my last update then on here and I would like to thank all of you VERY much for all the support of this project over the past 18 months it has meant a lot to me.

Signing off

Mark

PS
Keep an eye out on race cars direct for an awesome Clio for sale

PH1 172 (Track Car)
If this had been done before 12 I would be thinking that this is another april fools!

Good luck with things in Dubai

TrackCar & F30 330d
Surly an April fools.

If the job in Dubai is tax free then you can aafford to fly home for a few races :)

Also I know how much you earn ;)