ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Illegal Registration Spacing

RS Clio 182

Just been pulled over by the cops for having an illegal registration plate. They charged me for having it spaced illegally and for having a Scottish flag which they said was illegal. I was under the impression it was now legal to have national flags put on. Can anyone tell me if I can get out of payin the fine?? They have only marked Registration Plate on the reason for offence. They followed me for about 4 miles, B*#TARDS! Lucky I had my radar detector which was beepin like crazy all the way while they were behind me!!

YEAH JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE TO MY MATE WHOS A COPPER, HE SAYS THEY CAN DO YOU FOR THE SPACING, BUT HE NEVER BOTHERS, ITS ONLY COPS WHO HAVENT GOT ANYTHING BETTA TO DO, BUT THE FLAG IS BULLsh*t!

IM SPACING MY PLATE, COS THE COPS DOWN MY WAS ARE COOL! ITS ON A 52 PLATE BUT IM MOVIN THE 2 ALONG SO THE SECOND HALF SAYS 2NVY (TO ENVY) AINT MUCH, BUT ITS DIFF!

Ive had my plate spaced incorrectly since i had the car - 9 months - so far so good. I was concerned at first but I see sooo many worse plate offenses like unreadable fonts and adding screws to change the letters. At least my plate is completely readable (and easy to remember), instead of being *70 NY* its * 70NY *

Youll get targeted by cops who havent made a booking so far that day..otherwise it looks as if they havent done any work!

When I was getting a set of plates done, I asked the guy to space them out how I wanted - but he refused as he stated that it was illegal. Apparently, he could get into trouble for doing them with incorrect spacing.

RS Clio 182

It is only a fixed fine of £30 TonyKL. They told me some nonsense that I had another 2 chances to change it b4 they would take the plate off me and told me I would go to court the next time I got caught if I dont change it! Does anyone know about the reason for offence part? Is their charge not too obscure that I can question it? Any lawyers out there!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Extract from the terms and conditions at the DVLA website:

You should not proceed with this purchase if your intention is to mis-space or mis-represent the registration number. If you do so when the vehicle is on the public highway you will be committing an offence that is liable to a maximum fine of £1,000. The Department may also take away the rights to your registration number and you will not be entitled to any reimbursement of the monies or any other costs incurred in the purchase.

Bunch of killjoys if you ask me, but rules is rules.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

They are knobs who cant catch real villans.

I had a copper stop one day when he was passing my house a few weeks ago. I was outside washing it on my driveway and he said that my plate was illegally spaced. I wouldnt mind but it was on private property, not on the public road.

I told him this and he said he would keep his eyes for my car on the road and fine me then. What a t**ser !! I didnt have the heart to tell him I didnt have a licence either !!

Pigs eh !! Go catch some rapists !!

quite often its the normal patrol cops that bother about small technicalities, the special teams assigned to traffic offences (Traffic and ANPR) never give two fuc*s about number plates and how they look, they are much more interested in tax dodgers and Disqual drivers

Megane R26

On the new reg plates, ie: 2 letters then 2 numbers and 3 letters, you are supposed to have the post code of the people who made the plates such as the dealer, as I imported my Clio, I had my plates made at Halfords who did not put the postcode on. So I then got pulled over by the police for not having the postcode and they then tried to fine me for having plates that stop camera flashes. Luckily I still had the bill from Halfords, so this was settled easily enough, but you would think they would have something better to do with their time

RM172

S

silou

As from Feb next year there is an offical number plate register and companies are only allowed to make number plates if they are on the register, and they have to display certain infomation, mostly name of company and telephone number. This is to try and stop the illegal spacing etc of number plates as those who issued them will recieve a hefty fine.

Also regional flags on numbers are not yet legal.

Clio 1.6 16V

E Kennedy: I remember the Daily Record had a campaign down at No 10 many many months ago regards the Scottish logos on plates. I vaguely remember the outcome was that an official SCO/Scotland emblem would be designed and made available for use in the future in addition to the euro UK version. In the meantime people would NOT be prosecuted for using existing SCO/various Scottish graphics. Regards letter styles and spacings, these are supposed to be checked at MOTs and will constitute a failure if non conforming to rules. I have been driving around in my Audi for the past 5 years with SCO/Euro circle graphics plates, the letters also have slight 3D effect. I have been stopped on a routine check and was not picked up. Also passed three MOTs with these plates. I also run around on one of my previous Clios with SCO/saltire graphic plates using standard letters. Was never stopped for using these either.

T_Mike: Scotland is a COUNTRY and not just the biggest "Region" in the UK. Thats why we built Hadrians wall to stop all those mad caber tossin Scotsmen invading the fine English countryside ... just got tae have a wee dig ....he he! LOL ;)

Abarth Grande Punto

okay my plate is miss-spaced and I have had police pull me over and questioned the plate because it was not on police rercords because I had just changed it but they said nothing about the spacing.

my friend has his mis spaced and in fancy writing, he had loads of trouble but if you mis space it and have standard fonts then they are fine!"

BMW 320d Sport

hehe the Donny boys remember this one when we got pulled the night before the show cruising round the town...but if you run completely *false* number plates, the coppers kind of forget about any illegal spacing!

mk2 172

what, like N1CK R??????????, lmao you lucky b*****d!

ps, hows the car coming along, hope you got something back for your bits you sold mate

craggy