ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impreza's are boring? Anyone with experience?

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
hey guys,
Looking at selling my WRX prodrive to get somthing alittle more driver involved and fun/cheaper to use as a trackday/ring toy. I posted the below on a impreza forum and they basically came to the conclusion i needed 4-500bhp then it would be more involving....but as i dont have 10k sat about and i dont really want a 500bhp track car as i fee it abit excessive and very costly im looking at eaither a dc2 or the more probable a 172 sport/cup
Was wondering if anyone here has come from a impreza or evo and had simlar feelings?
Current chassis spec for anyone interested

BC Type RA Coilvers With pillowball topmounts
Whiteline Front ARB
Whiteline Rear ARB
Whiteline Anti-Lift kit
Powerflex Black Edition Steering Rack Bushes
Powerflex Arm Bushes
Eaibach camber bolts rear
New OEM Balljoints
New OEM Track Rod Ends
New OEM Inner Tie Rods
New Drop links
Brembo’s Front and rear
Braided brake lines
Godspeed G hook Discs
Carbone Loraine RC5+ pads (currently running Mintex Road pads)
Bridgestone Potenza RE070
STI Alloys (To Fit Over Brembo’s)
Geometry Setup To FastRoad spec By Kev at Aline in Dudley.

Thanks in advance

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you're looking for something to bash round a track then 172/182 cups are awesome, need very little mods to spend all day whizzing round a track.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I sold my 192 bhp PH1 to buy my V7 Spec C.

Never went on track in the PH1 as it was to mint and not that kind of car. Did Bedford in the Spec C and loved it but it's what it's made for, my car also has Cusco plated lsd diffs.

It sounds like a Clio would be perfect for you then bud.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I keep getting told by a friend (who hasnt owned a clio) that ill be forever chasing electrical faults and it will be breaking down all the time. I carnt see them being that un reliable though otherwise they wouldnt be so popular as track cars. Just hope if i get one it doesnt break on the Nurburgring :fearful:

Didn't come from a Scooby or Evo but a 300hp Mazda 6 MPS so AWD saloon. I sold the Mazda and took a punt on the Clio 182 FF and have not once looked back, they are the best budget track car out there and are really competitive with a few mods such as track tyres and brakes.

An example: My old MPS around Oulton could only manage a late 2:12 lap thats with 300hp/300tq, track tyres and brakes. Ive just done Oulton in the Clio with only track tyres, track brakes and cheap lowing springs and managed a late 2:08 lap, so just shows you all that power and torque and is still 4 seconds a lap slower.

I've had a few electrical faults as you say, but all down to the ABS which was sorted with a few hundred quid. I've now done 5 full days and rag the car to an inch of its life at every event and I've not had one issue.

Get yourself a looked after 172 cup (no ABS) and you'll be laughing.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I keep getting told by a friend (who hasnt owned a clio) that ill be forever chasing electrical faults and it will be breaking down all the time. I carnt see them being that un reliable though otherwise they wouldnt be so popular as track cars. Just hope if i get one it doesnt break on the Nurburgring :fearful:

40k/4 years ownership here and one electrical fault with my rear lights, cleaned the connection and bosh. I took my 172 on track once and had great fun, and it's definitely not track focused.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea as French cars go the Clio's are really decent with electrical issues, I've had far more retarded electrical issues with VAG motors than the Clio.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Normal French cars, ass.
Sport production, great.

I've had 6/7 clios and not had any cry baby issues

I had a race prepped 550bhp impreza wagon, I broke it for parts & bought a 172 cup. Best thing I did, more fun, handles better cheaper to run & cheaper for parts. Never had half as much fun on the track with the scooby.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I went from a Clio 182 to a 320bhp STI (blobeye) and back to a Clio 182 lol... just more fun for me personally! I felt the Impreza whilst impressive, was a bit of a lump of a machine.

Swift Sport
Aha had a feeling you would pop up and suggest that at some point :grinning: i do keep getting drawn back to looking at clio's though aha
Ignis is more fun than a Clio and more reliable, but they're seriously uncomfortable for anything more than a average commute. I'm looking for another for a possible project.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Very good brains of Britain. Sadly it's not and wouldn't be that heading.

Something like

Impreza tolerates other members, you would be tagged in the opening post

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
You can tell your friend the electrics seem to be working fine here;

0956d6c975e77857410cdf4cc79f612b.jpg

RB 182 FF
I've had my 182 nearly 5 years and the only electrical issue I've had is my 3rd brake light has stopped working just yesterday..... I've not done track days but been all round Europe a few times, taken it to Sweden for work, hammered it around Mid Wales roads repeatedly and it's just loved the abuse!

Its the best car I've ever owned by a long way, a lot of friends have had big bhp jap cars and other big bhp weapons and all agree the 182 is just so much fun, and the best part is running costs, laughable for the fun you have....:up:

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok so now we have established my friend is full of s**t (already knew but atleast its confimed) what sort of mileage is classed as high with a clio? As in if you was looking tobuy one for my purposeswould u avoid a 100k+ one?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Ok so now we have established my friend is full of s**t (already knew but atleast its confimed) what sort of mileage is classed as high with a clio? As in if you was looking tobuy one for my purposeswould u avoid a 100k+ one?
Aslong as they're serviced well, they'll go on forever. IIRC @bloke 's Mrs has one on over 200k. There's been a few on here that were on 150k+ and we're tracked regularly

RB 182 FF
Your mate is a right bell end........ :tongueclosed: My 182 was on 50k miles when I bought it 5 years ago, just ticked over 100k and feels as good as the day I got it.... However I've had a new gearbox 4k ago as it was shagged and they are made of butter..... The belt's and dephaser have been done as well, replaced most things over the 5 years due to age but that's expected(and parts are cheap)....

For me personally as I've told others, the gearbox is the weak link in the 1*2's as they age...... Find a good car with a good gearchange in all gears and all revs, or buy a cheaper car and get a new or recondition the box... The problem with a gearbox is the cost is unknown until it is split and examined.... Belts and dephaser are important and around 600 quid to sort,700 ish with waterpump and aux... but the box is the biggest cost from experience if it's bad.... Bottom line is the engine is strong, it's a very good engine....:up:

Z4
Imprezas aren't boring, but very different to little RS clios!

I've owned a 172 cup, and 182 cup packed and currently a hawkeye Sti and they're both very much drivers cars but go about it in completely different ways.

I totally disagree that an impreza needs 400+ bhp to be fun, mine's stock so around 300bhp and it's a good drive. In comparison a clio would feel slower, but more nimble/agile.
As said though, totally different cars, both brilliant at their own thing.

Don't believe the French car electrics BS, don't get me wrong there's no smoke without fire but they're no worse than other cars.
The only real problem I had was the UCH box needed reprogramming, it's fairly well documented, it was an easy fix and fairly cheap to rectify.