ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner tie rod boots

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
So I spent a good half an hour tonight trying to fit the new boots on my inner tie rods.... no success.

Does anyone have any tips? I've tried leaving it in hot water, using grease, stretching it out and it just seems too small to get onto the rack.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It's an absolute b*****d, especially on the driver's side 😂

Can only suggest getting one part on and then working the rest around with a blunt screwdriver or something.

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
It's an absolute b*****d, especially on the driver's side 😂

Can only suggest getting one part on and then working the rest around with a blunt screwdriver or something.

Damn, I was hoping someone would tell me I'm missing something obvious and there's a really easy technique

guess I will have to suffer and try again tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As James says, they’re an utter in the a**e to get on. Took me over an hour and a half to do both sides….then had to replace one again after less than 15 mile as it spun and twisted on the tie rod when getting my alignment done and garage doing it didn’t notice, so it then ripped holes in itself🤬!!

Only additional advice I can give (over and above what James has already said) is to use some silicone spray/grease on the inside of the boot and take your time…it will go on eventually.

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
As James says, they’re an utter in the a**e to get on. Took me over an hour and a half to do both sides….then had to replace one again after less than 15 mile as it spun and twisted on the tie rod when getting my alignment done and garage doing it didn’t notice, so it then ripped holes in itself🤬!!

Only additional advice I can give (over and above hat James has already said) is to use some silicone spray/grease on the inside of the boot and take your time…t will go on eventually.

Yeah definitely grease the inside, especially on the small end. Helps it to slide along the tie rod and also prevent what happened to yours twisting.

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
What a PITA. Got them on after about an hour altogether.
I used a load of grease and a screwdriver in the end.

Definitely paying someone to do it next time it comes up 😂

Thanks for the tips (y)