ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing cobra frames to seats

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Did you guys get bolts for securing the seats to the subframes included?

EDIT: Ignore that...just found them!! Durrrrrrrr

RallyXmad

ClioSport Club Member
  Cobra'd 172 Cup
Yeh was just going to drill it out. Hopefully I'll have a go at swapping the wiring over later on.
Glad yours came too Ollie!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well so far im not best pleased.....one seat has a rip right on the top where its been stored upside down in the box and its obviously knocked about....it also is missing the plastic trims that should be masking the metalwork surrounding the tilt knobs!!

Argggh!!:mad:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well so much for the straightforward hassle free swap....

As i've said already, one seat has a 3/4 inch tear on top....that im gonna get neatly stitched by me mum...shes handy with a needle...plus its just the passenger seat.
The plastic trims im gonna get sent to me....can't be too hard to pop off the recliner knob....he says.

The fun bit was then finding the slider mechanism on the drivers subframe wasn't releasing on one side.
The mechanism is two sprung cams connected by a wire than runs from the handle side to the non handle side.
Well the two weren't releasing at the same time....the handleless side was releasing too late as the crap bit of wire wasn't tight.
Had to remove the wire, fabricate my own(!!!) bend it thru the holes on each cam and then tie up the ends.
Mechanism now works a treat.

BUT THEN....the handle was fouling on the seat when you pulled it up and would only just allow the seat to slide....so i had to adjust the bolt holes to allow the subframe to be fixed slightly further forward...and bend the slider handle out a little.

Fingers crossed it will all work ok!!!

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Ollie sorry to hear your having no luck! my bloody engine management light has just come on :(

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Passenger one is going in now....need to know, does the pretensioner and seatbelt mechanism bolt onto that L bracket on the side of the subframe?

And did you manage to use the existing plastic trim to cover the mechanism?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
What a nightmare! Someone has cut the plug off the bottom of both seats and soldered all the wiring together so I can get the seatbelt clip and tensioner out. Going to have to get some connectors, cut the wires out and re-crimp them.
There is also a little switch pop-riveted onto the inner driver's seat runner. Anyone know what this does?

Thats put me back another day then! At least my CTR aerial turned up

Yours had the recall then ;) The connectors make bad connections on the airbag circuit, causing the light to come on if the seat was ragged back. The connectors were cut off, then the wires soldered up

4mm drill bit

= rivit out

ben did you just leave it on the carpet then as im sure theres now were to fix it to ??

Yup, just tape it up out the way. I believe its to disable the airbag if your sat far too close to the stearing wheel. Ie it closes the switch if the seat is too far forward.

Also you guys have diconnected the battery before you start, yes?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well you should as it only takes a small 'spike' (static off you/carpets etc) to deploy the airbags/pre-tentioners. Disconnect, and leave for a good half hour before you start.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ahhh ok. I was beginning to worry it wouldn't start again or something.....

Passenger seat is in for now....with temp bolts until Ben's goody bag arrives tomo.
Looks and feels gooood....the real test is how the drivers seat feels tho!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Passenger seat is in for now....with temp bolts until Ben's goody bag arrives tomo.

They'll feel 100% better than the high chairs.

Also you may have noticed the x4 silver aluminium spacers fitted between the sliders and seats. Cobra say these can be removed. So you can sit another 10mm lower. I did this :cool:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

They'll feel 100% better than the high chairs.

Also you may have noticed the x4 silver aluminium spacers fitted between the sliders and seats. Cobra say these can be removed. So you can sit another 10mm lower. I did this :cool:

Reeeeally?! Top stuff! Will be doing that to the drivers seat tomo then!!! Cheers for the tip Gaz!

RallyXmad

ClioSport Club Member
  Cobra'd 172 Cup
Got my drivers seat in last night. Had loads of fun cutting the wiring and re-wiring in a better place, what made it easier was that none of the coloured wires corresponded (blue to orange etc!) Will be doing the passenger side shortly.
Thanks for the tip 197gaz, the spacers will be coming out for sure. The seats feel better but I feel a bit too high.
Sorry to hear about your probs Ollie! Hope you get everything else sorted OK

RallyXmad

ClioSport Club Member
  Cobra'd 172 Cup
All in!
No pics til tomorrow (unless Ollie beats me to it!) as i've got to get ready for work.
I'd say defo take the spacers out, but I suppose it's personal preference

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The spacers do come out BUT....you will find the slider handle fouls against the subframe if you do take them out.
I tried this morning and it doesn't look or feel safe because the handle is sitting on the subframe, thus it unlocks the slide mechanism a touch.
Pics of mine in!
View attachment 26073View attachment 26074
They feel miles better....less cushioning but no less comfortable and you feel more of whats going on underneath you.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
For you info (copied and pasted from an email i received from Cobra)

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with the fitment. We do make a lowered subframe for the Clio Mk3, but this is designed specially to suit our race seat range.

However there are 2 further options available with the height issue. The first option would be to remove the spacers from the subframes, which are fitted between the subframe and the runners.

The second option is that we could trim down the base cushion, which could lower it by around 1-1 1/2" if you could bring the seats along to the factory.

Best Regards,

Marc Pidgeon
Cobra Seats
Units D1 and D2
Halesfield 23
Telford
Shropshire
TF7 4NY
United Kingdom

Phone +44 (0) 1952 684020
Fax +44 (0) 1952 581772

Ditch the spacers and if the handles do foul the mechanism a few mm, space em with some penny washers
;)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Gonna keep mine the standard height for now....they are lower than the standard seats, but granted they don't sit you really really low.

May have a play around with them at a later date tho.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Just a thought...did you guys remove the plastic mounts that sat between the old seats and the floor? The ones that were under the carpet....

RallyXmad

ClioSport Club Member
  Cobra'd 172 Cup
Kept mine in, thought they are prob there for a reason. You can defo feel what the car is doing a lot better now

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Kept mine in, thought they are prob there for a reason. You can defo feel what the car is doing a lot better now

I don't think its that big a deal to get rid of them. Ben sent me the fixings with a detailed diagram of how they should be bolted down and there is no mention of those grommets!

All they are is an interface between the old seats and the floor.....whip them out and the subframes will be bolted directly to the floor....and you'll sit that bit lower!

RallyXmad

ClioSport Club Member
  Cobra'd 172 Cup
Hopefully these pics will come out OK

Attachments

• Cup seat 1.jpg
    Cup seat 1.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Cup seat 2.jpg
    Cup seat 2.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Cup seat 3.jpg
    Cup seat 3.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 19
  2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
^^ nice did you take the washers out in the end ^^ blue looks different - would have to see it in real life to make my mind up!!! what do you think - you pleased??? ;)