ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance not covering Options

Hi,

Need insurance for Friday.

Thought I would use the std insurance companies. Direct Line,Priviledge,Elephant, Admiral,Bell,Tesco.

However in there small print it states any modifications are not covered. This actually means any options you choose/tick in the box at manufacture are not covered.

So now I had to pay another £200 for insurance (1035) with Highway so my Cup Suspension and Spoiler pack would be covered in the event of an accident.

PS I hope noone who has insurance with these companies on a optioned car ever needs to claim.

Went in the end with Adrian Flux who do not care as there are factory fit options.

You have got to be kidding me !?!?! If you buy a 182 with Cup options then you are not covered ?!?!? That cannot be true surely ? They are manufacturers options ?

:eek:

Lee

BMW M2C

I really cant see how they can do that. If that was the case then any factory fit option would have to be declared to insurance.

Tesco cover mods so covering factory fitted options shouldnt be a problem for them!!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Sounds stupid but can be true with some insurance companies.

Phone round and check.

Quote: Originally posted by Clio16vSport on 19 May 2004

Yer Tesco now cover modifications :)
When you say they cover mods ? You obviously mean at a cost ? I thought they always did that ?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Yer at cost mate.

They never used to cover modifications before hand.

They started it not that long ago as i found.

They are very competitive when covering mods, mine is covered fully comp and every little mod declared as they use a boundry system to work out costs.

Please ring your insurer to ask them.

I found out the hard way. Admiral stated that any modification (Either factory or after) would not be put back after a claim.

First question I had to ask when getting quotes. My problem for sky high is my mileage. 20000 with 12000 business otherwisre £636 with normal mileage!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Tesco covered me with:

a)Lowering Spring 60mm

b)All windows tinted except front

c)B&M Quickshift

d)172 Leather seats all round

e)Colour coding

f)Rear roof spoiler

g)172 Cup ALLOYS

h)Magnex Cat Bak system

i)All small details e.g clear side reps

All for an extra £200

which i thaught was pretty good

Tesco covered me with:

a)Lowering Spring 60mm

b)All windows tinted except front

c)B&M Quickshift

d)172 Leather seats all round

e)Colour coding

f)Rear roof spoiler

g)172 Cup ALLOYS

h)Magnex Cat Bak system

i)All small details e.g clear side reps

All for an extra £200

which i thaught was pretty good

Something doesnt quite add up there !

Hi,

I did get an insurance quote with the companies above not a problem.

My problem is if you ever need to make a claim. It states that it will go back to factory std only not how you modified it.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

LOL, i cudnt beleive it either.

all down on the policy tho.

i did get 10% off due to my mum workign for em tho/

They dont cover them, if you lose them they replace it with OE parts, £200 is just to add on the risk of something/it being nicked.

-Rob

[Edited by RobFenn on 19 May 2004 at 12:32pm]

LOL, i cudnt beleive it either.

all down on the policy tho.

i did get 10% off due to my mum workign for em tho/
10% off that is still only £20 so it would have been £220 instead approx. which is still bloody good !

Lee

BMW M2C

Right, Ive just got off the phone with Tesco and I am not a happy bunny.

A standard 182 would be an additional £31.50 and my XS would be £350.

With the Cup suspension package its an additional £184.25 with the XS @ £500

Appantly this is because its uprating the suspension.

yep thought everyone knew this :s anything that isnr on the base spec is a modification even mats really stupid but thats the way it is

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 19 May 2004

Right, Ive just got off the phone with Tesco and I am not a happy bunny.

A standard 182 would be an additional £31.50 and my XS would be £350.

With the Cup suspension package its an additional £184.25 with the XS @ £500

Appantly this is because its uprating the suspension.

They bent you over and positively rifled you mate !

Lee

BMW M2C

They sure have Dai.

Suspension mods are frowned upon more so than exhausts and filters as they seem to think Ill want to drive like Im on a track all the time.

Im really starting to think I should just forget my love of cars, as living in this sh*t hole of a country I get continually punished for it. I may take up using hard drugs instead as Im sure theyre seen as a more acceptable thing.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

lol @ Lee

yer that seems very true.

bloody stupid policies!! does my head in

Lee

BMW M2C

Would this also mean that you would have to declare an i.d. colour as that increases the cost of the car by over £1000?

Hmm...interesting topic this one.

In my opinion, the Cup suspension is no more a modification from the manufacturers standard specification as Sat Nav, metallic paint or CD Multichanger. No one would disclose those as modifications would they? If fitted at point of manufacture, by definition how can they be a modification? The owner/policyholder has not modified the vehicle...and the manufacturer has not modified a standard car because the suspension is part of the build process, and is not a one off. They have simply used different parts to complete the vehicle on the production line, in the same way as they probably have a slightly different dashboard assembly for the Sat Nav option..

You could argue this to a ridiculous degree - a two year Ford Mondeo that has, say, replacement Kwik Fit Courier tyres on the front is not strictly manufacturers standard but no one would disclose that to an insurer either...

Just my opinion of course, do what you think is right.

JT

Lee

BMW M2C

That was my argument too Jesterstear, but according to them, uprated suspension is a mod no matter how it was done or who by.

Christ, buying expensive tyres is probably a mod these days.:mad:

Lee

BMW M2C

The autochanger isnt standard kit on a 182 either, so maybe I should declare that, as surely thats ICE!!!!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

hahahaa

its soooo stupid

nothing u put in the car nowdays is standard fit, wow they cud void ur insurance for putting mudflaps on ur motor!!!

or changing ur wheel trims. lmao how stupid

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The part i dont understand is that a cup is cheaper to insure than a 172 which i checked out when i bought the car,so how do they say the 182 is dearer although its got the cheaper cars suspension.If i had a cup which had a bigger spoiler on the back than my standard 172 would they not charge you more exess for it.I wonder if BMWs have the same trouble when they add the "M" pack to their cars

I think there on the make there.

ian

Lee

BMW M2C

Id like to hear what other 182 owners with Cup options have to say on this one? How have they got on with insurance?

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

How do BMW owners get on? You have about 6,000 different options, everything a bloody option on those things (anyone seen the mini price list - what a p**s take). You would be on phone to insurance company for a whole day.

Lee

BMW M2C

Just thought Id bump this, see what everyone elses take is on this bu**sh*t. God you would think Id have calmed down by now wouldnt you.:oops:

ok to clear this up a bit, i will set the record straight! as far as options r concerned(certainly rbs which owns direct line,uki and provides insurance for tesco among others), most companies r only concerned with the following critera: performance increase, sat nav, ice, have u changed the car structurally,or by changing an engine things like that! now as far as im aware,rbs insurance will cover a 182 with cup suspension etc etc, cos its a factory fitment option, not an add on! that is wot insurance companies dont like as per my training at rbs insurance! ps, all companies r different, and while tescos(say) might insure it,d/line might not, even tho they administered by the same organisation!

My 182 is covered by d.line and they were told about the cup suspension and said it wasnt a problem as it is factory fitted.

My 182 is insured with Brentacre in Swansea 01792 650933.

I am 34 but have no NCB following having a company car. Insurance cost me £800 on a modified car policy with NIG. The car is not modded but this was the cheapest policy for me. It definately covers all of the options on the car and will allow any other mods as well up to a bhp limit. Not sure what the limit is as the car is standard so I didnt ask.

But for example I had a similar policy on my Golf a while back also through Brentacre, any mods allowed as long as the bhp did not exceed 230 subject to an engineers report to confirm that the mods were done properly.

im with privilege, and i have just phoned them up about this, and they said that it wont effect my insurance policy as long as any extra options (eg cup suspension, spoiler and sat nav) was fitted in the factory as this is class as standard to the cars specification, but if anything extra was added to the car once it left the factory (say at a delaership) it would class as a modification.

So I have the privilege!!!!:D