ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance not covering Options

Mondeo STTDCI

All u people phoning up and asking. Of COURSE theyll charge more. I aint being funny but at the end of the day if u smash it, im sure they wont be refusing to pay out on a factory fitted option issue. They wouldnt even botherthinking about it.

Quote: Originally posted by 172 Stu on 20 May 2004

My 182 is covered by d.line and they were told about the cup suspension and said it wasnt a problem as it is factory fitted.
Mine is covered by NU and they were ok about it - depends some accept manufacturer options (the Mini example is a good one), some class them as mods.

You just have to ring around a bit more...

Well the cup has a higher insurance group over the 172 so i can see roughly where theyre coming from. its not about modifications really just that the higher value of the car and performance over the standard model warrants a higher premium.

Im insured with Direct Line told them about the Cup pack and they said fine, no extra charge as thats how it left the factory. Reptuable insurance companies will only charge additional premiums for after market modifications.

Direct Line quoted me £650 on my 182, which I thought was reasonable (23, full NCD, no points). When I phoned them up to swap over my insurance, they refused to cover me! They classed the Cup options as modifications. As Im under 25 they wouldnt even consider covering me. I was not impressed and I have since included my opinion in the cancellation letter.

Phoned around a bit, and it seems most of the insurers are concerned about the Cup spoilers making it more desirable to theiving scum. Norwich union quoted me about £650 without the options, but I had to declare them, which is now costing me just over £800. Mods listed are exterior detailing, lowered suspension <5mm and rear spoiler.

Sounds like a Nova!

Huw

Thats wierd Huw - NU told me no probs with the spoiler/suspension as long as they were manufacturer options? - maybe something to do with age too?? :confused: