ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance wheel colour change

I need some help in regards to a change of wheel colour while insuring a car. I know there are a million posts on here with similar questions, but I can't seem to find a recent one, and also one similar to what I am asking.

My completely standard 172 wheels are in serious need of a refurb. I was going to get them done in a dark silvery grey instead of the bog standard silver, but unsure on how this affects the insurance.

Similar to this colour (Apologies to whoever's photo I stole for reference, but I think the colour is great.)
DSC_0195.jpg

It's just a simple change (just a darker shade of silver tbh), and not as if I am going bright shiny pink and going to cause an accident with the reflection or something haha.

I am quite a young driver, have no NCB and have found reasonably priced policies through major insurance companies, but they will not insure me with modifications (car is standard anyway) and I am unsure if this is really classed as a modification.

Car isn't insured yet, but I am currently looking for a policy. It's beyond stupid how simply changing the wheel colour from silver to dark silver/grey affects it so much...

If it were a really obviously colour change that clearly isn't OEM then I'd think twice. But from what you've described I wouldnt'

Titanium 182
I wouldn't bother, there's thousands ( not talking literally) of shades of silver, I doubt your insurance will ask specifically which one and have different costings for each one, play ignorance and just say silver, if they even ask.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Wouldnt bother telling them if its only darker silver - your could just say they are dirty.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I had my cup wheels sprayed black then was on the phone to the insurance and the guy asked if it left the factory like that? He said if not, then it's classed as a modification.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I had my cup wheels sprayed black then was on the phone to the insurance and the guy asked if it left the factory like that? He said if not, then it's classed as a modification.
As is an air freshener, seat covers, different makes of tyres, brake pads, windscreen wipers, lots of cars are fitted with stuff that isn't factory, if your insurance company want to get out of a claim they'll find something to screw you on, other insurers couldn't care less about non oem stuff (within reason), all depends on who you're with.

Brentacre couldn't care less what I do to my car as long as I tell them and every year my premium goes down.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Oh I agree. That was with direct line iirc on my first 182.

Been with greenlight for some time now and like you they couldn't care less about stuff like that!

I would insure through a broker (as I've read they really don't care about wheel colour change, just note it), but most if not all I have seen require at least 1 years NCB. I have a few years claim free driving, but no NCB which is really restricting to who I go with.