ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insurance with mods

Shud i tell my insurance company that i have had my 182 lowered 30mm. Thats the only mod that u can see apart from tints. What shud i do. It will go up around £140 if i say about lowering. But the car is under mums name so they might get suspisious of who uses it more.

Not a Clio

if you dont then your insurance is invalid and you are breaking the law.

Also if your mum is the named driver but you use the car the most youre breaking the law too.

Get your own insurance and get building that NCB!

right well i hardly use car. I have just told them about lowering its gone up £174. So now i am all insured apart from tints.

Clio 172

Bit risky not telling them of the tints is it not?? Insurers will find any excuse to say no to paying btw. I even told them of my mods and I am 17 with a valver (sky high insurance) but didnt want to take the risk.

Would rather pay a few quid here and there then have nothing paid in the event of an accident.

Yup, tell them, some actually dont mind since it keeps all the glass together in the case of an accident and can therefore reduce any passengers personal injury claims, and it makes it harder (but by now means impossible) to break in to the car.....

Just tell them, better be safe than sorry...

Oh and this thing of the car being in ya mums name is also dodgy mate as far as the insurance goes.... if you are the main driver (even if you dont drive it much) its called fraud.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

<sigh> If you cant afford or diasagree with the premium hike, dont do the modification...

I think I need a tattoo with this on - save having to type it out every other day!

Punto/Clio GTT

theyre tints, who the hell declares tints lol

some of you people are goin way way way over top with this declaring bullsh*t. fair enough you should declare big things, wheels, stereo, induction kits. but piss things like tints, aftermarket lights, i dont bother.

*waits for the " maxim your an idiot your insurance is now void " remarks*

also, try insure your car in your own name with ya mom as the named driver, build up some no claims bonuses, you wont regret it

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

maxim your an idiot your insurance is now void

You asked for it, because frankly, "idiot" is a very good summary of your last post.

Final....... sorry mate, but if an insurance company can get out of paying you they will...... sad but true, and if you get one of the few jobsworth inspectors out to inspect your car after a crash - youre screwed - trust me.

DECLARE EVERYTHING

Punto/Clio GTT

if i ever had a crash my tints/lights anythin undeclared would be swapped/removed way before anyone from the insurance got near the car

[Edited by Final_Maxim on 26 February 2005 at 10:04pm]

anyway im an optimist, im never gonna crash :)

Mate, I had a crash where I was injured and taken to hospital after being freed from the wreckage, the car was taken to a storage location(where it was later inspected), I was also watched (and logged) whilst I took personal posessions out of the car (well, I didnt take anything - two broken wrists lol) sometimes you have no chance of doing that - and you are fooling yourself if you think you car.

Think before replying please ;-)

ex Clio 172 owner :(

People come on here asking for advice. Majority say declare. One or two say dont worry about it.

Theres a reason those who say declare are in the majority. Its because they are right. I had an inspector come out for my car after a minor no fault prang.

They will look for any reason to not pay up.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 26 February 2005
if i ever had a crash my tints/lights anythin undeclared would be swapped/removed way before anyone from the insurance got near the car

[Edited by Final_Maxim on 26 February 2005 at 10:04pm] anyway im an optimist, im never gonna crash :)

Youve obviously never had a serious crash mate. You wont get anywhere near your car!! Its trailered off to the company the insurance company chose to assess the damage.

When my old 200Vi was written off I had to speak to my insurance company just to get near it to get the head unit out.

So when your car is towed away from the crash scene youre gonna still get your spanner out on the back of a flat bed truck?

Punto/Clio GTT

i think it must just be in my area then, as noone declares mods, noone in my family declares mods, none of the people i know who have cars declare things, chance you take i guess

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 26 February 2005

So when your car is towed away from the crash scene youre gonna still get your spanner out on the back of a flat bed truck?

lol my car aint gonna get towed away on a truck after a big pile up. i dont drive like a tw*t, speed dont interest me, thats why i bought a 1.4

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 26 February 2005Quote: Originally posted by Final_Maxim on 26 February 2005 if i ever had a crash my tints/lights anythin undeclared would be swapped/removed way before anyone from the insurance got near the car

[Edited by Final_Maxim on 26 February 2005 at 10:04pm] anyway im an optimist, im never gonna crash :)So when your car is towed away from the crash scene youre gonna still get your spanner out on the back of a flat bed truck?[/QUOTE]lol my car aint gonna get towed away on a truck after a big pile up. i dont drive like a tw*t, speed dont interest me, thats why i bought a 1.4[/QUOTE]

Ok mate, I hope youre just saying this sh*t to wind us up... cos if not, youre a muppet.

Punto/Clio GTT

seriously. ill be declaring my alloys, my ice, induction kit and that its been delocked.

everythin else, neons, lights, strut brace etc wont be declared

infact im gonna get a quote before as standard then get a quote with the mods. if its too much ill insure it as standard.

probly piss a lot of people off, those who declare theyre mods and fork out that extra 300/400 quid, tough :S

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 26 February 2005

lol my car aint gonna get towed away on a truck after a big pile up. i dont drive like a tw*t, speed dont interest me, thats why i bought a 1.4

Ok mate, I hope youre just saying this sh*t to wind us up... cos if not, youre a muppet.

Muppet indeed.

We all think were not gonna crash.

We can think that coz were all great drivers.

We can assume the road surface will be mint.

Our tyres wont have a defect/explode.

The road will not have any oil on it.

Manholes covers will not obstruct the road (like it did for my accident).

A kiddie/dog wont run out from absolutely nowhere forcing up to slide sideways into a row of parked cars.

And after all that doesnt happen. No one will crash into us. And yes it still matters. Their insurance company will still kick off that your car has undeclared mods.

Muppet.

Punto/Clio GTT

you go about your business ill go about mine, none of your concern really unless you smash into me, bout as likely as... well... you get the idea

People like that make me sick.

Driving around town in their pimp my ride mobiles thinking theyre rock and yet 90% will be being driven illegally.

Cant afford the insurance, dont buy the mods. Insurance should always be added in to the total cost when considering any mod.

My cat back exhaust cost £275. Then a further £33 on insurance. FFS, whats £33 for peace of mind?

Punto/Clio GTT

lot of people will dude, simply because ide rather save a few hundred quid and take a chance.

ill be quoting anyway, if it aint silly money ill declare

Fiesta ST

ive been ringing round today as my renewal is neally here, i got a quote from the AA £1326 witht the declared spoiler, i asked just out of interest how much it would be without it and it dropped to £771!!!!! feckin barmy!! its only a subtle spoiler as well!

Save a few hundred quid and take a chance?

As opposed to if the worst case happens and youve lost your car, say £3000 and £1000 worth of already paid insurance?

So to save say £200 youd risk everything?

Punto/Clio GTT

People like that make me sick.

Driving around town in their pimp my ride mobiles thinking theyre rock and yet 90% will be being driven illegally.

Cant afford the insurance, dont buy the mods. Insurance should always be added in to the total cost when considering any mod.

My cat back exhaust cost £275. Then a further £33 on insurance. FFS, whats £33 for peace of mind?

my car is pretty heavily modded compared to your standard car, by declaring ALL of my mods it would im guessin, run into hundreds.

i can afford my insurance, i can afford to declare everything, im just choosing not to and saving a few hundred quid

Jimmy, yep its very harsh, bordering outrageous. Simply solution though. Dont get the spoiler. No road car really needs one anyway.

Punto/Clio GTT

Save a few hundred quid and take a chance?

As opposed to if the worst case happens and youve lost your car, say £3000 and £1000 worth of already paid insurance?

So to save say £200 youd risk everything?

to be honest i think 200 is my limit on declaring, if it ran anythin over that then yea ide risk it. and the car cost 500 quid

Lee

BMW M2C

So imagine you kill or seriously injure someone in an accident and it goes to court and you have to pay compensation to the victims family, but your insurance has been invalidated due to none declared mods? Thats your life down the drain just because you thought you were clever enough to save yourself a few quid. All you are thinking about is your pocket and a bit of replaceable metal.

Motor insurance is sh*te, and I pay a fortune even at 28 but I do it. I used to get stung for an extra £80 a year just for having an exhaust on my 172, but I still paid it because its not worth taking the risk.

Plus, one of the reasons motor insurance is so much is because we all have to pay for those who dont get insured. You are the cause of the problem.

But all this is falling on deaf ears as you obviously know better.

Punto/Clio GTT

Maxim, yeah I can appreciate that but did you not think of all that before buying the mods?

didnt enter my mind once to be honest mate, i just threw a few grand at it and bought everythin i wanted. i love my car. i dont drive fast. sure theres the risk of blowouts, other drivers, dogs running out etc. thats a chance im taking though

Maxim think of it this way. Some modded car crashes into you writing your car off. You expect him to pay out covering your repairs. Only his insurance is invalid because of undeclared alloys.

Imagine how angry, sick, heartbroken youd feel. Thats how youd make me feel if you t-boned me.

[Edited by Chris1.4RT on 26 February 2005 at 10:43pm]

Deaf ears indeed Lee.

Fiesta ST

Jimmy, yep its very harsh, bordering outrageous. Simply solution though. Dont get the spoiler. No road car really needs one anyway.

believe me i wouldnt, 1st car and all that! young etc etc, at the time i had free insurance so was easy....im with you lot tho declare all mods, i declared them last year and it cost me over 1400 on a 1.2 (03) so thats me for modding!! anyway its going soon to make way for a 172!! woohhoo

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I refrain from posting further as I am likely to get banned if I speak my mind. People know my thoughts on insurance.

Declare it. Or Dont buy it. End of.