ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior Painting - Brush?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hi all,

I've fully stripped and removed the sound deadening from my 182 now (except the roof, sod that) and I want to paint the inside white.

I'll be 'DIY'ing this, as it's a track car. I've been reading quite a few different forums on this, and they all recommend different things so I'm looking for first hand experience.

Brush on, or spray on? My Cage is powdercoated so that's fine, I want to avoid brush strokes ofcourse, but apparently on interior thats quite easy to do, just not on the cage.

Anyone done this?

Brush on. Easy to do and you wont get brush strokes. Just don't try to do it in one coat.

Plus the paint is cheap and you can top up chips or scratches very easily.

Obviously a proper professional spray job will be better but that's money you could spend on trackdays.

iPhone5810_zps82ebac89.jpg

iPhone5800_zps8a5a9267.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Brush on. Easy to do and you wont get brush strokes. Just don't try to do it in one coat.

Obviously a proper professional spray job will be better but that's money you could spend on trackdays.

@Martin. what did you use out of interest? I assume its brushed on?

Ads

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200

iPhone5810_zps82ebac89.jpg

iPhone5800_zps8a5a9267.jpg

That looks amazing. What type of paint did you use, special? Or will I get away with white emulsion 😂

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I would personally use Spray Paint and not a brush. You are removing sound deadening to save weight and then adding weight by painting thick coats of paint on to the interior.

See how much a spray shop will charge for a paint job on the interior.

@Martin. what did you use out of interest? I assume its brushed on?
Ads

That looks amazing. What type of paint did you use, special? Or will I get away with white emulsion 😂

Black Hammerite. Two coats with a brush.

I did try and do one coat originally but it started to run and looked s**t so I ended up rubbing a lot of it off again and doing more prep work before hand.

It's not perfect by any means. But does the job and looks tidy enough. Plus it cost me about £15

Last edited:
I would personally use Spray Paint and not a brush. You are removing sound deadening to save weight and then adding weight by painting thick coats of paint on to the interior.

See how much a spray shop will charge for a paint job on the interior.

I doubt a layer of paint weighs enough to be concerned about chap. May as well go for a small dump before driving it if you're looking at that fine a detail :tongueout:

Sound deadening weighs a fair bit. Something like 15-20kg in total. My mate has made a mascot man out of all of his and it's a big old lump. A layer of paint probably weighs a kilo if that.

A paint job from a professional will no doubt look better and be better. But it's the hassle of getting everything out of the car, looms, full dash, seats, cage.. Then getting it somewhere. Plus it will probably cost a couple hundred quid. Ideal if you have a bare shell to start with but not so much if you get everything out and in again yourself and you don't live next door to a paint shop.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
You reckon? Weigh a couple of tins of paint and see how much it comes to in Kg you will be surprised. When I painted aircraft we had to make sure that the layers were not too thick otherwise it could add an extra ton to the the weight of the aircraft. And a extra ton away from the CoG is a hell of a difference.

I know I went full Chip mode then but personally painting with a brush will look gash unless you know what your doing. Get it painted by spray.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
You reckon? Weigh a couple of tins of paint and see how much it comes to in Kg you will be surprised. When I painted aircraft we had to make sure that the layers were not too thick otherwise it could add an extra ton to the the weight of the aircraft. And a extra ton away from the CoG is a hell of a difference.

I know I went full Chip mode then but personally painting with a brush will look gash unless you know what your doing. Get it painted by spray.

You're painting a plane. He's painting a Clio interior. I don't think he needs to out-run any migs. 😂

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
The point is there is better things to do to a car before starting to remove all the sound proofing.

If you want the non brush look. Don't use a brush. Use a spray can it is much better and easier.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I painted mine with a brush with Dulux gloss. Less than a litre was used, did a few coats too. The finish is good and many people have complimented it. And you have a tin of paint for touch up as it is inevitable to get marked.
Although I would reccomend fitting some form of matting in the front foot wells for protection as in the past other cars have worn. I just riveted some plain rubber car mats in, also helps with the grip (pictures somewhere on my progress thread). Although there are other solutions like addinggrip tape, mixing sand with the paint for the foot wells etc.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hammerite is pretty good at not leaving brush marks, the subframe I did with it didn't have any brush marks at all.
@SamHowell , Tom said yours looked good and was done with a brush.

I looked at getting a spray gun and doing mine but the materials and making sure the airlines are totally dry isn't a cheap job. IIRC @Mini182 has done the interior at home with a spray gun.

Hammerite is pretty good at not leaving brush marks, the subframe I did with it didn't have any brush marks at all.
@SamHowell , Tom said yours looked good and was done with a brush.

I looked at getting a spray gun and doing mine but the materials and making sure the airlines are totally dry isn't a cheap job. IIRC @Mini182 has done the interior at home with a spray gun.

Yeah I had a go at spraying for the first time last year last year. Spray gun cost me £25 and the 2k paint was another £25.

It turned out pretty well, not perfect but perfectly acceptable.

From this:-

11tnywk.jpg

5l6t77.jpg

To this;-

2ive1hj.jpg

2h58zux.jpg

To this:-

2hoe3io.jpg

And finally this;-

2nm8zr.jpg

xf9kih.jpg

I understand what you're saying Chip. haha

But, you wont need a couple of tins. It'll be one tin if it's Black Hammerite, into the second at most. White you may need more as the colour will show through it more.

I scraped and rubbed down the entire rear floor of my Clio when the paint ran...the paint chippings and dust I swept from the car weighed about as much as a hair.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
If your doing white then you will need at least a good few coats to stop it showing the paint underneath and on a blue car without priming first it will be a good few coats.