ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad 3 - Released March 16th. Pre-Orders start 7th March

S3, Polo
The difference in screen IS marginal - to 99% of people buying an iPad. Testament to how good the screen on the iPad2 actually is!

I went to Comet yesterday (apparently the only retailer locally with stock) to grab one for my parents. I immediately noticed a cluster of people at the Apple table, some comparing two iPads side-by-side... Some even holding two iPad 2's!

I own a 3rd Gen but my parents weren't remotely interested in the reasons it commands the extra outlay over a 2. So we walked out with a shiny new 16gb iPad 2 for £320-odd and they absolutely love it!

Could someone do me a favour and download adobe reader and see if the PDF files are fragmented on it. I've tried the different view options but no dice.

It wouldn't be an issue but I have some DRM protected files that can only be opened with this app.

6d95890c-a49b-4c91.jpg

Same for me with any I open.

d57a8725-aa0b-40bd.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well worth the upgrade for me personally. The fact I got a good price for my 2 and that I wanted to upgrade to more storage made it even more worthwhile.

Screen is simply amazing, more so if you tend to read on the iPad.

dk

911 GTS Cab
People really must be blind or just trying To talk themselves out of upgrading, the quality difference in the screen is far from marginal, it's massive, it's the same as moving from a non-HD tv to a 1080p one, how can anyone say they've not done that to get a better picture on their tv to then say there's no difference?

It's exactly the same, the screen is the most important feature, it's the thing you interact with and rely on 100% of the time, how anyone can say it's not worth the upgrade is beyond me.

DB.

BMW 440i
People really must be blind or just trying To talk themselves out of upgrading, the quality difference in the screen is far from marginal, it's massive, it's the same as moving from a non-HD tv to a 1080p one, how can anyone say they've not done that to get a better picture on their tv to then say there's no difference?

It's exactly the same, the screen is the most important feature, it's the thing you interact with and rely on 100% of the time, how anyone can say it's not worth the upgrade is beyond me.

It's not a case of being blind, or a lack of money.

It's a matter of opinion, in my opinion, it genuinely just isn't that much of an upgrade. Just like the iPhone 4S wasn't that much of an upgrade from the iPhone 4, just marginal improvements.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Screen is miles better than iPad 2, and trying to see the difference on a picture isn't going to work is it; go and use one.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I honestly have never been playing with my iPad and thought about the lack of screen quality.

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's not a case of being blind, or a lack of money.

It's a matter of opinion, in my opinion, it genuinely just isn't that much of an upgrade. Just like the iPhone 4S wasn't that much of an upgrade from the iPhone 4, just marginal improvements.

No. The screen resolution being hugely improved is not an opinion, it's a fact.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I popped in store yesterday at lakeside and had a quick browse, as the two weren't next to each other I didn't really notice a great deal. As you say maybe next to each other I'd notice a great deal but that isn't going to happen.

DB.

BMW 440i
My girlfriend has the new iPad, I don't rate the screen improvement that highly, that is my opinion. Yeah, it's a bit better, but not worlds apart.

Like it or lump it.

Sense, that makes none.

The 4 to the 4S, the screen wasn't changed, Siri / processor / camera. It was still worth the upgrade.

The new iPad is like going from a 3GS to a 4S.

Just out of interest, those that don't get the new iPad as it "isn't that much of an upgrade", what more do you want? Other than a better camera, screen, processor, battery.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Just out of interest, those that don't get the new iPad as it "isn't that much of an upgrade", what ore do you want? Other than a better camera, screen, processor, battery.

That's a silly question, it's not my job to come up with something more, that's Apple's job to research and add more 'features'.

One that can cook and clean wouldn't go a miss though ;)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
At the end of the day, it is an upgrade to something that was already spectacular. Its not re-inventing the wheel.

I'm pleased with mine.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
but theres an upgrade and theres a waste of money. your paying £200 (if for example you have a 16gb non 3g sold for £300) for the same thing (16gb non 3g) for an upgraded screen and a camera that a lot of you have mentioned you wont even use...

a lot of it seems a bit of snobbery "i have the new ipad" etc. only have to look at the amount of posts in here telling evryone what time to the second theyre having theyre new but similar to their old toy delivered

Mk2 Golf GTI
OK one thing that does suck is that the battery is a hell of a lot bigger, yet the charger is still only a 10w jobby. Takes a long time to charge. Could they not have upped the wattage on the charger?!

Still, it's an amazing piece of kit. Completely sold on the tablet concept now. iBooks is awesome. Already chucked all my unread PDFs on there that just don't get a look in on the desktop and have read more than ever. Just need to get some HD vids on there now.

but theres an upgrade and theres a waste of money. your paying £200 (if for example you have a 16gb non 3g sold for £300) for the same thing (16gb non 3g) for an upgraded screen and a camera that a lot of you have mentioned you wont even use...

I use mine probably in the region of 2hrs every single day, £200 seems pretty good value when I look at it like that. Plus, having a much better screen (and more processing power) will make a huge difference to photo editing, which I do an awful lot of on my iPad. As justification goes it comes out comfortably better off than my car, XBox 360, PS3 etc.

I don't drink or smoke, I know people that comfortably 'waste' £200 in a month on those two things.

dk

911 GTS Cab

a lot of it seems a bit of snobbery "i have the new ipad" etc. only have to look at the amount of posts in here telling evryone what time to the second theyre having theyre new but similar to their old toy delivered

As a side note, can you put a better res version of your avatar up please as its jagged edges are offending my eyes on the new high res screen, need to update mine too as its tiny.

Out of interest, did you upgrade to a hd tv at any point to watch better quality pictures on the screen? I'd rather watch the F1 in SD, it's perfectly acceptable, I really don't need to see it in HD.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I use mine probably in the region of 2hrs every single day, £200 seems pretty good value when I look at it like that. Plus, having a much better screen (and more processing power) will make a huge difference to photo editing, which I do an awful lot of on my iPad. As justification goes it comes out comfortably better off than my car, XBox 360, PS3 etc.

I don't drink or smoke, I know people that comfortably 'waste' £200 in a month on those two things.

dont get me wrong i have no doubt that its awesome but so was the ipad 2... to me it seems a bit of a waste for the latest gadget. if your buying for the first time then fair enough.

i can see an advantage if your doing stuff like photo editing as a proffesion but just as your home tablet to browse online on play some games etc.l i think £200 is a high price to pay

dk

911 GTS Cab

Indeed, I use mine more like 6-8 hours a day, and I managed to spank £200 out on the town last night! Noidea how, might have involved strippers though...

dk

911 GTS Cab
dont get me wrong i have no doubt that its awesome but so was the ipad 2... to me it seems a bit of a waste for the latest gadget. if your buying for the first time then fair enough.

i can see an advantage if your doing stuff like photo editing as a proffesion but just as your home tablet to browse online on play some games etc.l i think £200 is a high price to pay

How much have you spent modding your megane, nuff said.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
How much have you spent modding your megane, nuff said.

whats that got to do with ipads lol?

im entitled to my opinion and in my opinion spending £200 on getting a better screen is a bit ott. but i would only use it for browsing the net etc. so for me it would be a waste. much like it would be fior others who just use it to browse/play games etc but still got the new one to say they have the new one

the extra processing power the new one has, is it noticable against the 2? or is it just a gimmick of numbers for geeks to fap over?

Last edited:
Amaze. Little things keep impressing the hell out of me - like the other day I downloaded GarageBand on the iPad, and after a few hours of messing about went to try and jam (jam likes to jam) along with my iPhone. Only to find that Garageband on the iPhone had already downloaded and was patiently waiting for me.

If only I could somehow run fm12 on it, I'd get rid of my MBA.

dk

911 GTS Cab
whats that got to do with ipads lol?

im entitled to my opinion and in my opinion spending £200 on getting a better screen is a bit ott. but i would only use it for browsing the net etc. so for me it would be a waste. much like it would be fior others who just use it to browse/play games etc but still got the new one to say they have the new one

the extra processing power the new one has, is it noticable against the 2? or is it just a gimmick of numbers for geeks to fap over?
It has everything to do its the conversation, £200 to upgrade something people use everyday vs the thousands you spend on modding a car, what will £200 buy you on that, a new fin?

Oh and browsing the Internet is much better, the text on posts on cliosport look much much clearer, much better experience.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It has everything to do its the conversation, £200 to upgrade something people use everyday vs the thousands you spend on modding a car, what will £200 buy you on that, a new fin?

Oh and browsing the Internet is much better, the text on posts on cliosport look much much clearer, much better experience.

ok ill put another spin on it if you answer my question about the extra processing power.

your being slightly hostile just because i have an opinion. i dont care what you spend your money on dude if you think its worth it and your happy then good for you but to me it seems rather a waste. all ive read in this thread is stuff about the screen and from what others are saying its not much of a diffrence so £200 (and £200 is a minimum figure for the majority. some have paid more to upgrade) seems ott for clearer posts on an internet forum. nobodys mentioned the camera is awesome or its twice as fast as the old one. all i see atm is people swapping a screen

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
It's a lot faster than the iPad 1, which I had before, so it was a great upgrade for me. Never used a 2, so can't comment on how quick it is compared to the new one

nobodys mentioned the camera is awesome or its twice as fast as the old one. all i see atm is people swapping a screen

It's only been out 2 days! The screen is the most obvious initial 'wow' thing, in time when Apps are produced that can utilize the power etc I'm sure people will appreciate the upgrade even more.

I've come from an iPad 1, which could only output tiny files when editing a photo direct in something like Snapseed. With this version that's increased hugely...it's the little things that will make a huge difference to most people...but on their own they don't sound much (or act as a selling point).

dk

911 GTS Cab
ok ill put another spin on it if you answer my question about the extra processing power.

your being slightly hostile just because i have an opinion. i dont care what you spend your money on dude if you think its worth it and your happy then good for you but to me it seems rather a waste. all ive read in this thread is stuff about the screen and from what others are saying its not much of a diffrence so £200 (and £200 is a minimum figure for the majority. some have paid more to upgrade) seems ott for clearer posts on an internet forum. nobodys mentioned the camera is awesome or its twice as fast as the old one. all i see atm is people swapping a screen
so you haven't even seen one, that's sorted that.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
still not answered me...

as someone who is looking into buying an ipad your not doing a good job in convincing me that the new one is worth £120 (i bilieve the 2's are £380 new from apple?) more than the old one

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
in that case i supose its worth it then. i must have read wrong earlier on in the thread.

still think an upgrade from a 2 to a 3 isnt worth it

For £70 it's absolutely worth it. Better screen, better camera all be it that I won't really use it apart from with FaceTime etc. much faster graphics. Comparing second hand prices is different as there can be over £100 difference in some cases. But new to new, defo worth it!!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
in that case i supose its worth it then. i must have read wrong earlier on in the thread.

Are you serious!?

Better processor, higher resolution, better camera isn't worth the £70 increase!?

People need to look past the aesthetics side of things! Just because they haven't changed the outside people automatically presume the upgrade pointless.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Are you serious!?

Better processor, higher resolution, better camera isn't worth the £70 increase!?

People need to look past the aesthetics side of things! Just because they haven't changed the outside people automatically presume the upgrade pointless.

people keep mentioning the processor but they havent mentioned it being any better than the 2 which leads me to bilieve that it is litwerally numbers that make it look better than the 2 to techy's

im not bothered that they didnt change the outside, if i was i wouldnt have a 4s because it looks the same as the 4

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

But if you were goin out to by one today, your gonna spend the extra and get the 3? Right? Why? Cos it's better than the 2

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
But if you were goin out to by one today, your gonna spend the extra and get the 3? Right? Why? Cos it's better than the 2

yeah because it has a better screen apparently?

i dont have any ipad atm tho so its worth it. for people selling a 2 to buy a 3 your losing more money

Inferno 182 CUP
Doesn't matter what all the tight arses or haters say.

Fact is fact.

Apple just squeezed a RETINA display in an iPad. It's not just a name! Watch the video of how they made it and had to separate the pixels from the display etc .. It's amazing!

They installed a quad core GPU.

They installed a 5mp camera which is a lot wider AND thicker than the previous one.

They have installed a 4G radio band.

The battery life IS the same. Tests have proved it correct also!

All this while keeping it all the same size (less than 1mm doesn't count!) AND the price is all the same! Truth is all the tech wizards (not review sites) all said it would be an impossible technology to master. Well Sir I've did it! And bloody well as well. This isn't the words of a fan boy before you start, it's the word of somebody truly amazed that Apple have achieved such things in a tablet that is still years ahead of the competition. iOS is so advanced and the touchscreen is so ahead .. Android tablets don't even come close. I'm not hating I just love tech.

So many idiots in here it's unreal!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Totally echo the views of ukaskew in this situation, people spend £000's on cigarettes, alchohol and nights out because that is what they enjoy. I don't do any of those, technology is something which I enjoy.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
im not hating on anyone whos done it. its your money do what you like with it. i have things i spend loads on too but up until dannys post the only diffrence ive known of is the screen, camera which no one uses and these "performance upgrades"

i have no doubt its an awesome bit of kit i just dont see the point on upgrading from a 2 to the new one because apart from the new screen theres nothing you can use (4g) want to use (camera) or see being used.

ill probably end up getting one anyway, the boy is a hardcore apple fanboy already so im stuck for other options ;)