ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Mini

I'm surprised at the price tbh. If it's been designed to compete with the Nexus 7 (which clearly it has) then it is still almost £100 more expensive if you compare both 16GB models.

My thinking was that people got the Nexus tablets because they were a much more affordable option. This iPad Mini is still, IMO, a long way from being affordable for many.

Mercedes
Looks like a nice bit of kit as expected really and price wise £269 isn't too bad really.

Also, what's 'new' about the Retina Display iPad? They've stamped 'new' on the top but is that because they've just renamed it from 'New iPad'?

i think the new chip making it faster is the "new" bit

Mercedes
So the 'new iPad' no longer exists? What is the difference between the 'new iPad' and iPad with Retina Display? Doesn't the new iPad have retina display?

as above the "new" bits are the A6x chip and lightning still retina display

UR197
I think it will be quicker, as the new ipad wasn't much quicker at all than ipad 2, not worth upgrading tbh, think ipad mini will be a massive hit though, will be the biggest Xmas gift in my opinion!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Ha! Would somehow need to sell our current iPad 2 before I can even think about doing that.

Not sure there'll be a market for a 2nd hand iPad 2 now.

Citroen DS3 DSport
No retina display on the iPad Mini so it's of no interest to me. I will wait 6 months and buy the retina version.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I'm surprised at the price tbh. If it's been designed to compete with the Nexus 7 (which clearly it has) then it is still almost £100 more expensive if you compare both 16GB models.

My thinking was that people got the Nexus tablets because they were a much more affordable option. This iPad Mini is still, IMO, a long way from being affordable for many.

Apple people will have no issue paying an extra £100 TBH.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Apple people will have no issue paying an extra £100 TBH.

Some people dont mind paying extra for a better quality product.

So yes...the initial "bargain" is probably the N7. So go ahead, buy a tablet that has no apps, poor security and will be abandoned in a year for OS updates and spams you with ads.

I genuinely think ill be getting one of these. I wanted an iPad again, just for general browsing that I do, but can't really afford to fork out £500 for something I don't really need. £269 changes things though. Small enough for me to comfortably take around everywhere too!
Early Christmas present on the horizon. Stuff for the car can wait for a bit.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

So yes...the initial "bargain" is probably the N7. So go ahead, buy a tablet that has no apps, poor security and will be abandoned in a year for OS updates and spams you with ads.

No apps? Lol

No retina display on the iPad Mini so it's of no interest to me. I will wait 6 months and buy the retina version.
So true, they could have stuck the faster processor and retina in this release but they would be struggling for what to do next. All getting a bit predictable.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
All getting a bit predictable.

Is this itself not the issue?

Until the next blinding bit of technology (iPod), or major enhancement of an existing item (iPhone/iPad) comes from Apple, it's lost its shine.

There's only ever going to be a limited number of ways to make the same product.

Genuine question : Was it a case of Steve Jobs was Apple or is there something similarly revolutionary they have around the corner?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

What, you don't get that with iOS? SRS?

Too niche to interest me.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is the back of the black iPad mini coated in the same stuff as the black iPhone 5 bezel?

I actually really like the look of the iPad Mini, but TBH if I wanted to be able to use it with one hand, I'd pick up my iPhone. That's personal choice of course, but I still don't like the way they are convoluting their product line. You can currently buy three different iPhones (ignoring colours and storage sizes) and three different iPads. Crazy stuff, and exactly the kind of thing Jobs put a stop to when he returned as CEO.

Anyway, rumour has it that Apple are ditching the iPhone in 6 months. Their next device will be called 'New iPad Nano with Retina Display and VoiceTime and Lightning and ThunderTime'. Available in three different shapes and sizes.

I'm probably gonna get an iPad now. The new one. No, not the new one. The new old one. The new new one. The new old one with retina. The Retina one. The iPad2 with Retina. Eh?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I never understood why somebody inside apple thought that calling the last gen ipad "the new ipad" was a good idea.

There are some odd decisions on stuff going on inside apple.

Very.
When the new iPad comes out and someone wants to by 'the new iPad' (meaning the older one), just seems silly.
But then so is buying an old one when the new one is out!

Oh...and from a cursory reading about this thing....seems utterly pointless.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I don't think it matters. Yes it's a minor annoyance if you are clued up but in reality it's not a hard concept to grasp.

There were 2 iPads and now there are 3. As for the mini, it will sell like hotcakes, it's opened a window to iPad ownership to many that hadn't considered it or could afford it.

Will I buy one? Probably not.
Do I want one, yes.

iPads are now the tablet of choice, it's a universal agreement that it's the best device overall and this is where the 7 will struggle. People want the best experience, regardless of price or technical superiority.

That said if google make the 7 £99 who knows what might happen.

133/225/CLS AMG
I'm confused by the current iPad range now, maybe someone can enlighten me. We've had the following models..

iPad 1
iPad 2
'New iPad'

So is this version shown here (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad), 'iPad with Retina Display' an updated version of 'New iPad' or is it an iPad 4 or is it currently the same as the one out earlier this year?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
iPads are now the tablet of choice, it's a universal agreement that it's the best device overall and this is where the 7 will struggle. People want the best experience, regardless of price or technical superiority.

I'd disagree in the US though, the price differential is enough (stateside) for anybody other than the "I only buy premium" market think twice.

$329 for a 16GB iPad Mini.
$199 for a 8GB N7.

The rumours seem to be that there is just going to be a shift of storage on the N7 so that the 8GB becomes 16GB.

If pricing remains the same, then you're paying a whole $130 more for "user experience". With vast numbers of PC home users (even mac users) using chrome and gmail, you could argue that the N7 provides a more familiar experience.

At £99 (or $99 to adjust for the intercontinental trip) they'd give Apple a major headache and nobody other than the "premium" market would buy the mini. I think the N7 is brilliant, I love the feel of it, I actually prefer the feel of the rear of it over the wifes iPad and jellybean is decent - finally approaching V1.0 quality.

I'm really disappointed with Apples need to "diss" the competition during the keynote.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I think if you were having a conversation with somebody face to say you'd say.

last gen iPad owner said:
I own the "new iPad"

(You'd have to hold your hands up and move your fingers to indicate the quotes)

If you own the latest iPad:

latest gen iPad owner said:
I own the new iPad

Note the lack of quotes and therefore finger movement.

Anything other than face to face, you're own your own.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
I'm confused by the current iPad range now, maybe someone can enlighten me. We've had the following models..

iPad 1
iPad 2
'New iPad'

So is this version shown here (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad), 'iPad with Retina Display' an updated version of 'New iPad' or is it an iPad 4 or is it currently the same as the one out earlier this year?

I've with you on this, seems confusing. They've basically ditched the New Ipad (3) completely and replaced it with the New Ipad (4). I asked a similar question on PH and basically got called an idiot lol Apple usually releases a new product, then makes the outgoing one cheaper, rather then scraping a product completely, which I think is where the confusion comes in.

People who have just bought a New Ipad and now found out theres a New Ipad called New Ipad, must be very annoyed!

What happens in a years time when theres another New Ipad? Is that called the New New Ipad?