ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jasons sanctuary for abused 182's - Latest Arrival.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I seem to have a bit of a thing for buying 182's, tidying them up a bit and then getting bored and selling them. So here's the latest purchase, may use it for some Trackdays when we can but equally my starter business is kicking off a bit faster than imagined so may just sell on.

Got it blind via facebook, it was cheap and has had Belts and a Gearbox rebuild. Also came on Turinis!

Turned up last Thursday:

IMG_9778.JPEG

IMG_9780.JPEG

It's straight outta 2009, with all the hallmark CS Mods Included:
- Turinis
- RS-182 stickers
- Massive Sunstrip
- Painted "Diffuser"
- Yellow Fogs
- French Flag Grills
- Laguna Splitter!

Even has a Black Ice magic tree which I'm pretty sure everyone had around that time.

Anyway, plan was to get it back to almost standard. It does have some good mods though which will be staying
- KTEC Coilovers with PMS Top Mounts
- Polybushed Dogbone mount
- Remapped
- Full Milltek System

First job was to polish the headlights, I find this really satisfying so thats why I did it first lol.

IMG_9809.JPEG
IMG_9811.JPEG
IMG_9813.JPEG

I think started taking the Laguna splitter off and noticed something.... what are these wires?

IMG_9805.JPEG

Bit more investigating and I realised. This bad boy had UNDERFLOOR LED'S BABY! I ripped all those out straight away.

I also loosened off the Milltek and got it to fit properly. It already has solid exhaust mounts which was good!

I then had a look at the rear "diffuser" and started cleaning that up with some wet and dry:

IMG_9807.JPEG

Started by hand before I was confident enough to move onto DA

IMG_9808.JPEG

Didnt take any more pictures, still have a fair bit to do so will come back to that, did go a little further and the paint under it looks fine which is good! The whole car is cosmetically challenged anyway but this stuff just bugged me!

Car also came with two faults all Clio owners love: Airbag light, and an EML light. I assume the EML is to do with the cat. I thought It was decatted but it looks like it does have some sort've Cat on there, but the lambda looks a billion years old so I may change it.

Anyway, I disconnected the battery for 15 mins before I started investigating the Airbag light. I didnt have much hope, these things can be a nightmare. First place I looked was under the drivers seat and.... it was unplugged. I plugged it back in, reconnected the battery and...

IMG_9821.JPEG

No more Airbag light! I expect the EML one to flag up again but we shall see, doesnt bother me too much if it does.

IMG_9822.JPEG

So thats how I left it on Saturday. The Turinis it came with have already been sold to a member here! They were far too nice for track abuse and the money from them will go towards the other bits I want to tidy up.

More work to do at the weekend:

Remove fog light tints, twatstrip and side stickers. I've already taken the wind deflectors off!
Fit Fabia Splitter
Full Service (Kit just arrived from RPD!)
Fit the fresh discs and pads it came with.

After that it'll be a bit of a clean up and see whats left of the paint. Seems MOSTLY good but the front bumper, rear bumper and bonnet all are a bit shite tbh.

Anyway, If I do end up selling it'll be to someone on here so at least they can see what I've done! I'll keep filling this in as I slowly fix it up.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Not seen a laguna splitter since my 106 days about 7 years ago haha! Shame to lose the Turini's, the difference between those and the 182 alloys is night and day imo.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Not seen a laguna splitter since my 106 days about 7 years ago haha! Shame to lose the Turini's, the difference between those and the 182 alloys is night and day imo.
I know such a throwback! Those and the deeper "Espace" Splitters lol.

Yeah they were just way too nice compared to the rest of the car, the money I got for them pays for like 4 or 5 trackdays.
Bet you'll get few quid for the guna splitter n all, back in vogue
Shut up. No way is it ? I just chucked it behind my shed, I didnt have the heart to throw it in the skip!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looks good for a bargain this (assuming it was), however I don’t think you will find those Ktec coilovers very fun to use on track, at all, they are only good for one thing, well two, making the car lower for minimal cost and/or putting in the bin :p I made the mistake of buying them years ago for an old 172 and used it on track with them, was a horrible experience all round, better off with new standard shocks and decent springs imo.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Looks good for a bargain this (assuming it was), however I don’t think you will find those Ktec coilovers very fun to use on track, at all, they are only good for one thing, well two, making the car lower for minimal cost and/or putting in the bin :p I made the mistake of buying them years ago for an old 172 and used it on track with them, was a horrible experience all round, better off with new standard shocks and decent springs imo.
I dunno, I drove it on the road and they werent too bad. Most people I see on track days stick £200 Ebay specials on and these feel a lot better than that!

Definately is/will be a bargain for a good mileage 182 thats had belts sorted! Given the prices some people are selling them for especially haha

Nice little project this. I was going to start doing something similar. That being, buying 182s that have been really bad boyed, making standard again, proper day of a job detail and selling on for a bit of profit. Just don’t have the time at the moment.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Nice little project this. I was going to start doing something similar. That being, buying 182s that have been really bad boyed, making standard again, proper day of a job detail and selling on for a bit of profit. Just don’t have the time at the moment.
I actually have a chap interested in this one already and I havent even advertised it! They're very easy to sell, and its very satisfying tidying one up.

The PH2 172 I'm picking up tomorrow is almost completely standard! But it does have some niggles, I just enjoy dong all the work myself.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The 172 is a 102,000 mile car with a fantastic history.

The only thing I need to do is repair a bump made by an elderly neighbour to the previous owner, fit 172 wheels (it’s on 182 ones) and give it a MONUMENTAL CLEAN. It’s covered in moss where it lived under a tree for a bit.

3B7703A4-8BA6-40BA-9473-11167D40CFBD.jpeg

FF5A175C-BF7E-41B1-8DA0-C575844804E5.jpeg

BMW 840i Gran Coupe
I miss it already...
I can definitely see myself getting another in the future though. I wish I'd never sold WUU to be honest. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
172 wheels you say🤔. I've got a set in the shed with centre caps. Only issue is they're blue!
Good work saving them though, even if you don't make loads of money keeping more 1*2's on the road is a worth while endeavour. 👍

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I miss it already...
I can definitely see myself getting another in the future though. I wish I'd never sold WUU to be honest. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Sell me your dads S4 maybe I can trade part ex one back? 😂. Seriously though thanks for selling me this 172 and feeding my addiction.
172 wheels you say🤔. I've got a set in the shed with centre caps. Only issue is they're blue!
Good work saving them though, even if you don't make loads of money keeping more 1*2's on the road is a worth while endeavour. 👍
You have a PM!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
4941B5F9-A900-4940-890B-E94A708EB594.jpeg
1FAD22EC-8BD0-4C57-984D-FBABCF742133.jpeg

08BF7319-7CCC-4B0A-9A7F-E1E41D1CB3AE.jpeg

Is this what you call a barn find?

Looks like a flock of birds have shat on them both over night as well 😂

Having said that, I do enjoy a nerdy previous owner. History folder was one thing, but also kept the book stamped! How many 172s have a full history?!

New wing now with it ready to fit. Then a massive clean, bodywork, some niggles and standard wheels.

scash88

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Impressive amount of growth on the 172!😂 Reminds me of how bad mine was when it arrived
Atleast it will be fun to jet wash off

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Impressive amount of growth on the 172!😂 Reminds me of how bad mine was when it arrived
Atleast it will be fun to jet wash off

I bet that amount of cleaning required gets you diamond hard x
Both spot on, I'm going to be very gratified by the clean.

Also just managed to get a set of standard 172 wheels. Bit of a drive for me tomorrow evening to collect!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
A very satisfying day cleaning Clios.

Chap on here is interested in the 182, so removed the detritus from that first.
811BF37F-022D-4160-BC12-9FD32C6765BB.jpeg

C503ED7D-2A9B-4BCB-95F1-2A3180F35473.jpeg

Then for the real satisfaction I know all you cleaning perverts want to see. The swamp72 getting its first clean.

4523181E-BBBE-444A-9D11-53F33E487E29.jpeg

B1A8525B-AF2B-4F69-9BF8-56FF767BDBBE.jpeg

48B1B46F-9E8C-4B58-A06E-78E4F5342642.jpeg

So it took some G101, a couple of snow foam pre washes followed by a couple of actual washes with a mitt to get it clean in the end.

E0339AB0-06B9-46C8-A7CE-C244E51ABF4F.jpeg

56FA95EE-6FE4-4570-941F-E6D30083B220.jpeg

051C68B1-D7A2-4161-9434-7F1C5F237588.jpeg
420CF4D0-8058-4FAA-ACE5-E43A7F52657D.jpeg

AEE96641-AB78-4763-910A-767AFC0BAA92.jpeg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
1EBA7D38-69AD-4D14-B282-E09FEE557025.jpeg

Probably going to look shite but that’s one in primer today. I’ve used a supplier called “paints4u” on a recommendation so will be interested to see how the colour matches the original, should be the correct code anyway.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
A chaps left a deposit for the 182. Finished off some of the last jobs on it this weekend.

New front pads with drilled and grooved discs (came with the car!) and fitted a nicer set of 182 wheels with nearly new PS3s on. Also had an oil service with genuine Renault parts, of course!

B37CE9DD-3C2E-43EB-B696-C5895514866D.jpeg

C980B5DA-4219-4527-920E-E0142ED4A4BB.jpeg

97931376-0D0B-446B-9664-BA1EB98F1532.jpeg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Nice job, shame about the tinted windows though
Yeah they’ve been done to a high enough standard that I don’t want to even try removing them.
What’s going on with the rear bumper?
Read above.
Bit of duct tape holding the trim in place by the looks. Car looks tidy other than that.
Nope?

The 182 is actually, in quite a few areas, in better nick than the 172! Barely a spec of rust on the fuel flap for example and none at all on the rear arches.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
This thread is now about the 172 as the 182 has gone!

Want to keep this 172 around. Fresh wheels, wing, resprayed bumper and plates have completed it externally!

FE186DC2-55A4-4522-AD5D-9C1AE0D65AEA.jpeg

17D02E16-C400-4D6B-801D-0927AFCD22D4.jpeg