ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jimbob's Black Gold 182

Last Sunday went up to Elan Valley with a mate who's thinking of getting himself a Clio, so thought what better way to show him then get it on some decent roads

Afraid some pretty poor photos as I didn't bother taking my Camera, and it was more about enjoying the drive then worrying about taking photos!
Nice clean car before I left
27597222616_651d7f3293_c.jpg
Untitled
by Jimbob_2705, on Flickr

Clio performed faultlessly, and there's some fantastic open roads where you can really give it some with the benefit of being able to see a massively ahead, so know if the road ahead is clear or not

27631278015_025e54800b_c.jpg
Untitled

Also a standard car park shot, always like looking back and grabbing a quick shot :
27020810734_78cf787098_c.jpg
Untitled

Also the car had a bit of love a couple of weeks back - Oil & Filter, Coolant and Gearbox Oil all changed

So perfect.
Thanks Dan, although got to admit I think I'd take yours over mine - hoping to get a purple in cage in mine, that's if I can convince the insurance come renewal next month!

Not sure if I've missed it whilst reading but are you running any spacers ? Looks like a proper nice stance

16mm Front Hubcentric
10mm Rear Axle Spacers
Cup Offset Turinis
Cooksport Springs

Thanks all for the kind words!

Really like this! Are your calipers purple?
They are indeed Kyle
image.jpeg

Although that photo doesn't show it that well, really nice purple once the light is on them

Astra H 1.8 SRi
Super jealous now. I don't own one yet, but that's pretty much what I'd have mine like. Everything black, with purple as a secondary colour.

Cheers buddy, sure I've seen you around Hereford!

I'm sure there's a Liquid Yellow out Kingstone way, is that you? Or I think there may be one down Belmont, but I don't think that has a smaller plate like yours...
I've literally just bought the car from the chap in Newton Farm, his Missus lived in Kingstone I think he said so it's the same car you've seen about most likely.

I've literally just bought the car from the chap in Newton Farm, his Missus lived in Kingstone I think he said so it's the same car you've seen about most likely.
Ah that sounds about right then! Drop me a message if you ever want to meet up or grab some photos together, I'll probably see you around at some point anyway as I work in Hereford

Are you coming to CSF matey? Would love to see this in the flesh, definitely one of my fav BG's on here that's for sure.
Unfortunately not Dan, I can't get the Saturday off work, and I don't fancy a 7 hour round trip just for the Sunday, which is a real shame as would of been to good to meet up with a few off here!

Cheers buddy, I still think yours is the best Arctic out there...and I'm still very jealous of your B14's, Spoiler and Cage - one day I'll be have the BG equivalent of yours haha

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Love this and as others have said it sits so well.

I'd get a plain rear numberplate though, would tidy up the back nicely.

I was a couple of cars behind you this afternoon in Hereford (in between Pizza Hut and Grandstand Road) and I have to say that despite your excellent photography the pictures do not do this car justice, it looks flipping epic in person, its' stance is perfect! ;)

Love this and as others have said it sits so well.

I'd get a plain rear numberplate though, would tidy up the back nicely.

Cheers buddy! I've actually got a spare plain plate just never got around to fitting it, but now you've reminded me I'll get it on this weekend!

I was a couple of cars behind you this afternoon in Hereford (in between Pizza Hut and Grandstand Road) and I have to say that despite your excellent photography the pictures do not do this car justice, it looks flipping epic in person, its' stance is perfect! :wink:
I thought it was you, all I saw was a LY 182 and I thought there's every chance it was! Yours did look good buddy, only literally saw it as I pulled away onto the mini roundabout

Thanks for the kind words! It's getting there slowly, still tempted by some decent coilovers as it is a tiny bit too high, but that might make it a bit impractical so I'm in two minds...

Car was filthy though, unfortunately I haven't had the time to be able to clean it as I've spent the last 3 nights trying to fix a starting issue, which I'll update the thread once I'm back home...but luckily it's all sorted now!

The inevitable has happened...my first issue with the car

So the Sunday just gone me and a bunch of mates were going to go up to Elan Valley for a bit of a blast

So cleaned the car as usual, only quick snap I've got
27586082240_8b3a11f048_c.jpg
Untitled

Met up with them then headed on our way, stopping to get fuel at Tesco at Llandrindod Wells. So turned the car off and went to grab a drink whilst the other boys filled up with fuel, went back to the car and tried to start it....Nothing!
At first there was no lights at all, then gave it 30 seconds and the ignition lights came on but the speedos started moving slightly, lights flashing, etc.
Couldn't believe what was going on at first as the car had been absolutely spot on with no warning signs.

So anyway, to cut a long story short, we tried the following : Jump starting, bump starting, another battery off a mates car, checked the obvious connections, I went through fuses and relays...nothing, zilch, dead
27762600052_acc9b71a6e_c.jpg
Untitled

So fearing the worst, told my mates to go on before they lost too much time and I'd ring some other mates to come pick me up with their trailer...

Me being me, thought I'd get a few quick snaps on the phone whilst I was waiting for them, as it did look half clean lol
27762625182_f0c7439a8c_c.jpg
Untitled
27762575092_349c7c0391_c.jpg
Untitled

So got the car home (was a long old wait and a slow drive back) and we had a quick look at the car on put it on the ramps. First was to check the Earth Strap as this was the main suspect but nope, that was absolutely fine. Next was try the spare key, thinking it may possibly be an immobiliser issue - again no luck.

So she spent the night on the ramps...
27251845744_9ee4ff2816_c.jpg
Untitled

Anyway another mate who is a mechanic came up and had a look at it for me, and he's a bit of a whiz on Clio's in general, so I was hoping for the best!
He went around it all, checking wiring, fuses, relays, checking voltages, etc
He came to the conclusion that the starter motor was stuck on, and somehow used a wire from the ammeter to turn it over (don't ask how, I was just sat in the car at the time on turning the key duty lol)
So yeh, car started like a dream, and then it continued to work fine for the couple more times we tried it!

He had a refurbed starter motor down at his workshop which he said I could have, happy days! So he came up the next night with it and we got it all fitted! Talk about being difficult to get to, good old French design!

Anyway, the car has been spot on since this ***Touch wood***

My splitter got damaged trying to put it on the trailer, and I've had this one sat in the garage for a while so thought I'd give it a try and see what I thought
27762533602_87a68ba8d7_c.jpg
Untitled

Poor photo I know, I'll get some more up when the cars clean - I'm still undecided on it, so going it leave it for a week and see what I think! If not I've got a brand new Fabia splitter to cut down and fit...

Also, as some of you have probably read the 'Amax Spring' thread, I bought some to give a try - Main reason was I wanted my car slightly lower and at the price they were worth a try
27251851834_79f4f76b4c_c.jpg
Untitled

My findings are here : http://www.cliosport.net/threads/amax-apex-40mm-springs-£30-from-ecp.795709/page-2#post-11150258

I thought they were absolutely rubbish to start with, as felt seriously unstable and noisy, wasn't impressed one bit!

Turns out that a couple of my studs were loose on my front wheels (despite my nuts being tight)! I did fit them to the correct torque and used Loctite 271 which is recommend, but it seems over time they've worked loose

So re-torqued them all and re-loctited them and thought it's only fair if I try the Amax's on the front with this sorted, so wheels back on and kept the Amax springs on....and low and behold, not a single squeak, or noise for that matter! Went for a 3 mile round trip and they were spot on and only went up to 60mph, but it was night and day from earlier!

I now have my Cooksport springs back on, as the Amax's didn't give me the drop I was hoping so thought I'd stick to the tried and tested Cooksports, as the height was near on identical

Also moved my Whittline Rear ARB to the hard setting, so looking forward to giving that a bit of a test when the time is right

Really need to decide if I'm going to go down the Coilover route (most likely Bilstein B14's) otherwise I'll buy new front cup shocks (already got new rear ones ready to go on) and just stick with my Cooksports...

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent update mate, glad you got the car sorted in the end.

You are now apart of the oversteer into a tree group with the arb. Be careful, it's treacherous ;) it's not really. I'd recommend rose jointing your arb bushes if you feel you want it stiffer. Makes a great difference I found.

Excellent update mate, glad you got the car sorted in the end.

You are now apart of the oversteer into a tree group with the arb. Be careful, it's treacherous :wink: it's not really. I'd recommend rose jointing your arb bushes if you feel you want it stiffer. Makes a great difference I found.

Sorry Dann, only just seen this! I did have a little giggle reading that, you'd honestly think you would oversteer into just about anything from what you read on here, but I'm seriously impressed! Seems more planted on the back, and does seem a little bit more playful, although not dangerously - I'll definitely look into the Rose Jointing!

Great update as said but can only imagine how pee'd off you were when that happened............. good spot with the find tho, hopefully its all sorted now

It was a shame, but it's the only problem it's given me yet, so for a 10 year old french car which has done almost 16,000 miles in the last year, I think it's done bloody well!

I haven't got much to update really, just got a couple more photos to put up

Had to do a big old booze trip which fitted in perfectly = who said stripped out cars aren't practical!!
27741698620_50c2821533_c.jpg
DSC_5915

This gave me some lovely lows on the rear, it looked absolutely spot on!
28021523535_af183d4716_c.jpg
DSC_5897
27407829234_fb1e4a8d39_c.jpg

DSC_5896 by Jimbob_2705, on Flickr
27407701454_a373bce3ae_c.jpg
DSC_5906

Safe to say it desperately made me want coilovers for those lowz, but I know going that low probably wouldn't help the handling side of things!

I think my journey with the 182 is slowly coming to an end, as I'm in two minds what to do next! Think it's just going to be a case of tidying it up here and there (some carbon fibre bits need redipping, one wheel refurbed, new back bumper, and a machine polish), might give the front end a full suspension refresh and just enjoy it for what it is!
Was thinking of going down the Turbo route or ITB's but I think it's just chucking too much money on it

Don't get me wrong its amazing fun, and I absolutely adore it, but I just find myself looking at different cars rather than ways to improve this...which is probably telling me something

Just found there's few more photos to put up as well (Yes, yes I know I'm a photo whore lol)

Thought I'd try a new splitter and fit a towing eye :
28235458126_0a4123e4b7_c.jpg

28166030082_207cf426d5_c.jpg

Towing eye didn't stay as it was too much of a 'track' look, and I'm still unsure on the splitter! Looks good from the front but the sides just don't quite look right, so I'll give it another couple of weeks and see what I think

And then just one more photo where it was parked next to a standard 1.2 Clio, did make me smile at the difference lol
28269535355_3738989c69_c.jpg

Oh go and then one more I here you say (I doubt that lol), have another car park snap
27988655060_463f172ff8_c.jpg

Tookers

ClioSport Club Member
Just found there's few more photos to put up as well (Yes, yes I know I'm a photo

Thought I'd try a new splitter and fit a towing eye :
28235458126_0a4123e4b7_c.jpg

28166030082_207cf426d5_c.jpg

Towing eye didn't stay as it was too much of a 'track' look, and I'm still unsure on the splitter! Looks good from the front but the sides just don't quite look right, so I'll give it another couple of weeks and see what I think

And then just one more photo where it was parked next to a standard 1.2 Clio, did make me smile at the difference lol
28269535355_3738989c69_c.jpg

Oh go and then one more I here you say (I doubt that lol), have another car park snap
27988655060_463f172ff8_c.jpg
Awesome looking car mate, very tidy

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words

I think you'd regret selling this mate. It's utterly stunning and you don't get them in this condition regularly.

That's my main concern Dan, don't want to 'upgrade' and found I wish I kept this, as I know I would struggle to find one as tidy and low mileage as this (although it is very rapidly increasing in mileage!)

Going to get it all up and tidy, and I'm tempted to refresh the suspension

Me and a couple of mates are threatening going to the Nurburgring, which if that's the case I'll be looking at a brake upgrade and refresh as well, so watch this space

Well the Clio is here to stay, had an amazing last Sunday in it and it impressed me no end, especially the handling

So I've decided to splash out and buy the following stuff :
image.png

image.png

I don't even want to add it all up, but safe to say it should handle even better soon!

Some bits are here already, it's currently coming through in dribs and drabs

Will probably take the Clio off the road for a few days and get it all done, as I've got another car I can use for work

Thanks all - can't wait to get it all fitted, should feel amazing I'm hoping

Awesome update. Where's the splitter from

Splitter is one of those eBay universal stick on ones - never actually seen on fitted on a Clio before! To be honest it doesn't look right in the sides, I mean I could try fit it a couple of different ways if I got another but I've got a brand new Fabia splitter I'll probably just go with instead

Epic stuff James!

How come you've gone for vibra tech mounts and upper engine mounts? Do you have an evol dogbone?

That made a big difference to mine.

Cheers Dan - it's getting there! Bilsteins are still tempting but I'll see what it's like after all this, I can't afford to go much lower just because of the roads I live on

Just wanted to go balls out on the handling side of things, and although I've never felt like the engine moves if I'm honest, I've read good things about them so thought I might as well - just hoping it won't vibrate too much, but I'm sure it'll be liveable

Don't have an Evol Dogbone, but I do have a Purple Powerflex Dogbone bush - don't know how they compare?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You've gone full hero in my eyes mate! Looking forward to seeing what you've got instore for the gearstick thing too!

The difference between them is that the evol one is a bit stiffer but imo it made a big difference to the power response, it's just there instantly now