ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS 182 Racecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
when running that much camber the effective tyre contact patch is gonna be well reduced with the wheels pointing straight ahead.. are you running a LSD to help traction off the line?

i found it was better to get more castor (resulting in dynamic camber) on my 106 rather than just dialling in a load of static camber.. i didn`t have any regs to comply with though so could cut and move my turret tops back, being a race car you may not have that luxury...

does look the part though!!

Black 172 PH2
Bit of snow on that Clio Tom!
I love the Volvo's heated seats btw :cool:, not as much as the alarm system though...

when running that much camber the effective tyre contact patch is gonna be well reduced with the wheels pointing straight ahead.. are you running a LSD to help traction off the line?

i found it was better to get more castor (resulting in dynamic camber) on my 106 rather than just dialling in a load of static camber.. i didn`t have any regs to comply with though so could cut and move my turret tops back, being a race car you may not have that luxury...

does look the part though!!

I haven't budgeted for an LSD, although it would be lovely - possibly next year.

Good suggestion in terms of contact patch / castor etc. I will be running the AST top mounts that provide a decent wedge of extra rake on the castor, then possibly 3.8-4.2 deg of camber, however the test drives will determine where that ends up.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Didn't know you had done this Tom! Shows how long since ive last been on here, looking good :)

After a couple of weeks undercover it was time today to get the car back outside, open her up and work through the job list ready for the coming weeks.

The new deadline for the cars first date out is during Feb at the newly refurbished snet track.

I have also joined forces with Ollie as a second driver so that we can look at participating in events such as the tintops were a two driver team is a requirement.

32.JPG

I have rearranged the job list so that I can start getting the car to events from Feb, the outstanding jobs are as follows:

CHASSIS.
- Rolling chassis setup inc. the use of spacers/camber shims etc.
I need to fit the topmounts and then the car needs a full alignment setup once drive-able. This will be a rolling development over the next year.

- Internal brake lines with balance adjustment.
Sacked off the concept of internal balance adjustment after speaking with Jay and Tony, instead I have implemented a cup bias valve in the stock location, a cup master cylinder and a selection of lines/fittings to run a full braided setup. This setup still provides and element of adjustability, but only when the car is stationary. Ideally I would like to reach a 'fit & forget' setup.

- Poly bushes (wishbones etc) & a bearing kit for the rear beam instead of the standard rear bushes.
Still on course, parts are ready.

INTERIOR
- Full caged rollcage.
The rear section is finished with all of the box sections/mounting plates fab'd into the car. The front section was ordered however I have paused it due to a possible change in direction for the dash (details below)

- Dash Board
I am currently in two minds about the dash, leave the stock flocked upper and remount it and the standard dials, or tread the Dash 2 path. I'm going to look at the budget and make up my mind during the next week. Either way it will effect the location of the cross bar between the two A pillars, so I want to ensure that whichever I choose works.

ENGINE
- RS2 Manifold Rebuilt in Blue.
I have finished the rebuild, and included in it some slight experimental internal changes. Needs fitting and possibly another calibration session with Paul.

- Sports cat
A necessity to comply with regs, so if needs be the car will be calibrated after fitting.

POSTPONED
- Plumbed in extinguisher system.
Not an essential at the moment, so it along with some of the other race only requirements such as timing gear will be sorted midway through this year.

NEW ADDITIONS
- Graphics package.
I will be producing a graphics package for the car with a local firm.

SCRAPPED ADDITIONS
- Relocating the heater matrix with a miniature barrel fan to demist the front screen.
Going with a heated front screen, so the matrix unit has been removed all together and the coolant piping rerouted.

- Relocate the gearstick aprox 50mm further toward the rear of the car.
To much fabrication work for such a subtle change, having looked at the car and the work that would be involved.

Remaking the frame for the ABS gear stick surround in the base of the car.

I originally intended to do it as I'm to tall for the pedal/gearstick dimensions (if I could put it in an ideal position further back); steering wheel position is not an issue as it is easily adjusted. To make it even worse Ollie is another 2 inches taller!

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
erm you don't have to? dude its easy, just adjust the linkage, i've moved neutral back about 2inches so the whole set is further back, 1st, 3rd and 5th are about inline with the stock neutral position, 2nd and 4th are nearer to the handbrake

Ah, so the neutral angle is sloped back towards you effectively, with all of the reach distances for each gear also pulled backwards?

I have to be honest and say that I had not considered that as an option, my original plan was to physically relocate the ABS support with the ball joint in it, moving the linkage point to then simply make up the extra distance.

Lionel Richie
that's the complex way of doing it, just adjust the linkage and move the enitre set back towards the handbrake, little bit of filling on the plastic for the reverse, bingo bango - done

invoice is in the post

TrackCar & F30 330d
There are gear stick extenders which bring the stick backwards. I have seen them of JDM fancy cars. I've never used one but I wound have thought they work fine.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Good effort Tom. Liking that you've managed to shoehorn in the term 'graphics package', lol. Top man. :)

Looking good Tom. Be interesting to see how it turns out and how competitive the car is once on track!

Just wondering, how are you going to get a heated windscreen - nick it from a Ford or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.