ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

John Lewis 5yr warranty

Has anyone had to use the JL 5yr warranty?

I'm looking at getting a new TV, and usually purchase from Currys due to their exceptional warranty claim procedure (genuinely, no BS).

Obviously JL do 5 years warranty, but how good are they?

With Currys (Know How), I've had loan TVs while away for repair, and TVs written off (with a credit not provided), no questions asked.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I used it.

They use local contractors. I had a CRT TV, there was no loan TV, local guy came by, picked it up, fixed the issue within a few days and dropped it back.

If it's not fixable, you get the value of the TV to spend in JL again as I understand it.

Something Not French
If it's not fixable, you get the value of the TV to spend in JL again as I understand it.

This. ALso, if you aren't happy just kick off with JL customer service. They will not let you down, they really do go the extra mile. But thats what you pay for.

DB.

BMW 440i
This. ALso, if you aren't happy just kick off with JL customer service. They will not let you down, they really do go the extra mile. But thats what you pay for.

This, I'd rather and have done, deal with JL. Also a business that is far more likely to be around if times get tough, Curry's is more likely to go bust like Jessops/Comet etc.

Leon Cupra 300
Costco is worth a look.. Not a huge range but every TV comes with 5 year warranty for no extra.

Nothing wrong with warranties if they're free like JL but I wouldn't pay extra for one when the sales of goods act covers you for 6 years;).

My current Tv is 2 years old, and has formed 4/5 vertical lines of dead pixels.

Do I have any chance with this act?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Yes.

Heard far more ridiculous claims than that go through.

Make sure you really kick off about it. Find out the name of the branch MD if you can - that will play massively to your advantage.

If the store is a little bit away from you and you have to go in they will even give you petrol money.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I would.

Go in, explain what's happened, even show a picture or two from your phone.

Explain that you don't think the product quality is acceptable within the sales of goods act. See what they say.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My current Tv is 2 years old, and has formed 4/5 vertical lines of dead pixels.

Do I have any chance with this act?

I've literally just got my TV back from Curry's with the exact same problem lol. Had to pay £95 for them to inspect it for physical damage before they took it. They took it for a week, put a new screen in and refunded my £95. I can PM you a copy of the email I used if you like?
My TV is 3 years old and they didn't give me any hassle over it:).

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I would.

Go in, explain what's happened, even show a picture or two from your phone.

Explain that you don't think the product quality is acceptable within the sales of goods act. See what they say.

Better off writing/emailing them imo. The kids in the store probably haven't even heard of the sales of goods act...

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone is buying from Richer Sounds, I can't fault their 5 year warranty service at all.

I've had 2 amps go back to them, both times I've dropped them off at stores (different stores), received a loan amp whilst mine was being fixed, then a phone call 2 weeks later, swap the loan for the fixed amp.

If you don't use the warrenty, you get the money back.

Cost 10% of the purchase price iirc.

I've literally just got my TV back from Curry's with the exact same problem lol. Had to pay £95 for them to inspect it for physical damage before they took it. They took it for a week, put a new screen in and refunded my £95. I can PM you a copy of the email I used if you like?
My TV is 3 years old and they didn't give me any hassle over it:).

Interesting. I've emailed them today, but could you PM me the email too?

What was the turnaround time/procedure?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Interesting. I've emailed them today, but could you PM me the email too?

What was the turnaround time/procedure?

I wouldn't bother with email ring customer service and kick up a fuss and get a write off, failing that go into stores and ask to put "prem WEH" on your tv some might not do it without inspection btw aim for the smaller stores. Pay whatever it is for the month get the tv repaired then cancel the DD within 14 days n get a refund.

I wouldn't bother with email ring customer service and kick up a fuss and get a write off, failing that go into stores and ask to put "prem WEH" on your tv some might not do it without inspection btw aim for the smaller stores. Pay whatever it is for the month get the tv repaired then cancel the DD within 14 days n get a refund.

Can you add WEH to a 2yr old TV?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Have you read the small print??
Why the need to kick up a fuss and getting stressed by mongs in CS (customer service!)? Or the same in store... When a simple well written email does the trick?

​I know which method I'd choose..

Leon Cupra 300
I went against my own advice and bought a TV from JL the other day, well from online.. It was pretty much the cheapest place about and the 5yr warranty sold it - I'll be ready for a new one in 5yrs anyway!

I went against my own advice and bought a TV from JL the other day, well from online.. It was pretty much the cheapest place about and the 5yr warranty sold it - I'll be ready for a new one in 5yrs anyway!

I'm itching to pull the trigger on a JL TV, but really should wait for Currys to get back to me first.

What have you gone for?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Phone customer services regarding your email, state that it's becoming a problem as you have a kid that needs entertaining and the TV is terrible or something.

Phone customer services regarding your email, state that it's becoming a problem as you have a kid that needs entertaining and the TV is terrible or something.

Funnily they called me last night, it's now with the 'Sales of goods act' team, who will review and call me later this week.

Leon Cupra 300
What have you gone for?

Nothing too fancy for me... I'm not a big TV or Film watcher but the wife is always using the on demand stuff from Sky, it's more to look good in the living room as I'm about to start a refurb. My current 37" LCD Toshiba is still going strong but it looks absolutely terrible/old fashioned!

I went for this, below, but in 50" which isn't listed any more for some reason! Hopefully it'll still come on Saturday..

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue46f6500-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-46-with-freeview-freesat-hd-voice-control-and-2x-3d-glasses/p431667

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE50F6500SBXXU

Funnily they called me last night, it's now with the 'Sales of goods act' team, who will review and call me later this week.

This sounds positive.. :)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i got my tv from john lewis, price matched the tv as it was cheaper at electricalexperience.co.uk, saved circa £200 AND got the 5year warranty. done!

Leon Cupra 300
I got my TV.. and it's broke! Major issues with lip sync. No matter how it's connected up - through amp or direct to Sky. So it's going back.

Annoyingly they don't do my version any more so I had the offer of a refund or exchange.. My main issue was 50" is a perfect size and the options for replacement are 46 or 55. I've gone for a 46 as a 55 would just be too big in the living room. But upgraded to the next TV up.

The swap is happening on thursday so we'll see how the new one is.

I won't be changing now. My tv was repaired free under the 'sales of goods act' and returned yesterday.

It's a brilliant set, so I'm keeping the money aside when I need to upgrade again.