ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

172, Tiguan
Re: Jon's MK1 172 project thread

Working back down south for 4 days this week for the first time in ages. Sadly not much has progressed in the meantime, but I have been buying bits as they've become available and are reasonable value.

I don't think i've got that much to buy now except a few engine related bits and some harnesses and subframes.

I've sold the interior so that came out the car last night (its virtually funded a pair of second hand Sparco Pro 2000's so i'm chuffed with that.

e353035a.jpg

I didn't weigh them, but they are fairly heavy old things so it's saved a reasonable amount of weight.

6dab545a.jpg

Still have lots of trim to remove, plus carpet, plus sound deadening....

I've also bought a set of the original oz wheels which will be refurbished and fitted with some decent rubber.

c9ccec7e.jpg

Bit's are piling up everywhere, i need a tidy:

f927cd55.jpg

I also managed to buy an OMP rollcage for the car (front section is in garage). It's a 6 point, but i'm having another diagonal put in to make a rear cross and a harness bar added.

2699825b.jpg

A previous owner has added some additional brackets for connections to the seatbelt mounting points on the B pillar for additional rigidity. Seems a bit odd, but i'll see how they go.

Finally, in my absence Dad has been painting the stripped down block. I've got all the bits together to rebuild this now, so that's the next job.

180d8173.jpg

I must get round to taking pics of everything else i've bought, much of which is still in the boxes unopened. :shame:

Cheers

172, Tiguan
Re: Jon's trackday MK1 172 project thread

Thought it felt about that much Mark tbh. Nice to know though.

I'm turning into you by the way, I now have 13 wheels and tyres for this car! Haha

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Nice progress Jon for hardly working on it!

Anychance of it seeing track this summer or is there zero timescale. :eek:

Hope things are well.

172, Tiguan

There's no real deadline mate, but i'd like to think it'll see a track at some point this year and then the Ring next year at least once - no concrete plans yet though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Excellent mate, looking forward to more updates when you actually get time! :eek:

172, Tiguan

So back down south.

Decided last night was the ideal opportunity to remove the head from the engine in the car as had a couple of hours. Plenty of time I thought.

Bloody car.

I removed the engine mount which had been put back in place to get the car up in the air and removed the oil breather from the top of the cam cover. All going well so far.

I loosened the 20 or so cam cover bolts (4 different lengths of bolt!) and the cover felt loose. Went to remove it and it was stuck. Thinking that was odd I removed the cambelt cover to gain access to the pulley's as this is where it was getting stuck. Definately didn't want to come off.

I cut the cambelt as it was getting in the way and it wasn't going to be used again, then twigged that the pulleys have to be removed to get the rocker cover off! :rolf: It also turns out that the camshaft bearings are mounted to the underside of the rocker cover.

Cut a long story short I've had to source the expensive renault tools to lock the pulleys, camshafts and crank in place to release the bloody pulleys. Once done i'll then be able to remove the rocker cover off enabling me to get the camshafts out and then to remove the head.

:brickwall:

172, Tiguan

Success!

I've managed to hire a set of the Renault tools and very quickly last night the head came off. Didn't have a great deal of time but at first visual inspection it looks fine. Both Dad and I have a free evening tonight so we'll take a better look.

The bores and top of the pistons looks fine, though there was a bit of oil there. We suspect we'll find most of the damage when the bottom end comes out, hopefully this evening.

I'll get some more pics tonight.

626dbd8f.jpg

4a76e27d.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7

Nice work Jon. I'm loving the bright red bottom end. Would love to do this myself, but doing it in situ would be a right pain in the arse. What did you clean it up with before hand?

172, Tiguan

Just a can of engine degreaser spray. Goes on as foam and then gets washed off once all the bubbles have gone. It'd be bloomin difficult to do the job in situ. Trying to decide what colour to go on the cam cover and then inlets.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Crazy amount of work involved Jon!

172, Tiguan

I know mate, we'll reach the end of taking things apart soon. I hope!

172, Tiguan

Further progress this evening, though mixed fortune.

First off my harnesses had arrived:

dcc613b8.jpg

A pair of 3" 6 point Sabelts. Lovely. They've been added to the pile of bit's.

Slightly fed up of not actually seeing much happen I tackled the rather simple task of bringing the rear of the car a bit more up to date. A purely unecessary expenditure, but improves things no end. It took 15 mins to swap over, take the plug apart and re-wire using an excellent pdf guide.

Before:

0a1b6549.jpg

During:

7c0311be.jpg

After:

1c47ed11.jpg

3db63f2d.jpg

d7ae9285.jpg

Dad and I then got back to the main task in hand of removing the old bottom end from the car. After a lot of cursing all the bell-housing bolts came undone (once the car had gone back on axle stands) and we managed to begin to prise apart the block from the bell-housing.

1d096175.jpg

b62936db.jpg

Unfortunatly this is where we've hit the latest brick wall. There isn't enough room with the lower pulleys in place to seperate the bottom end from the gearbox. We had hoped to be able to build up the new engine to a complete unit and then drop it in the car, but it looks like the pulleys will have to be put on in the car unless we can find a way of moving the gearbox far enough out of the way.

Was getting a bit late so called it a night and will tackle again tomorrow.

172, Tiguan

So after the problems of earlier in the week I asked online what the best way forward was. I had varying reponses along the lines of dropping the driveshafts out and lifting the gearbox and bottom end out at the same time. This probably was the best way forward but being an impatient sod and wanting to get the engine out this week I couldn't get hold of a crane in time - though I did have a few offers, thank you :)

There was also much debate on whether the best way out was through the top, or drop the subframe and out the bottom - it would seem that both routes are viable and some prefer one way, some the other.

Eventually though another member suggested there was room to take the bottom end out with the gearbox still in place. I thought it probably was possible, but it was nice to hear someone say it was! All that was required was to undo the rear engine mount, the gearbox mount and the front gearbox support. I found the gearbox mount a real arse to get to, but once undone the gearbox visibly shifted an inch. With some persuasion it moved another inch or so. This gave us about 4 inches of room at the pulley end of the bottom end, so with some jiggling the engine came free. 2 of us lifted it at an angle and out she came.

9227fcd1.jpg

ed125607.jpg

500fda1f.jpg

:thumb:

172, Tiguan

I'm working from home this week but Dad has some spare time so he's been fiddling with bits engine related. Just got this through:

Hello,

Got the new torx socket today so I took of the sump.

The inlet for the oil pump was full of swarf and a broken washer.

The big end shells were loose in the big ends and would have spun round – they appear to be too big ??

I wonder if the engine was rebuilt with the wrong shells?

Pictures attached.

Dad

DSC02692.jpg

DSC02690.jpg

That would explain the knocking then :D

As a side note I've also got these waiting for me (thanks to Si and Dan for your help!):

035f18d1.jpg

Totally ruined my plan of turning up to meet you with them on the car! Lol.

Si will not be a happy bunny to see them stacked like that. Should have seen his face when I went to do it with them!!

172, Tiguan

I know, that's a picture Marcus sent me last night. :(

Told him not to scratch them, but I'm going to buy a can of red paint just in case, as I suspect they'll be a few marks.

172, Tiguan

It was knocking pretty bad before we took it all apart, least it was obvious why now!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

Looks fucked.

Glad the engine came out via hand!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

in on this thread :cool:

Turbos.

Nice one Jon. Didn't realise you were mechanically inclined, bravo.

Si

RS Clio 172

NOOOO, not stacking!

The colour is Peugeot Cherry red if you do need it mate. I bought it from halfords. I actually have a tiny bit spare if you want me to send it up? I have no need for it.

172, Tiguan

Cheeky git!

Si yes please, I'm going to get some more anyway from halfords to do the mirrors, but if you've got some that be great! Ta

172, Tiguan

I had some time today and have a full day tomorrow so looking forward to cracking on. Decided to start getting the interior ready for the cage to go in even if it might not be for a few weeks yet. I'd only removed the seats so I had a reasonable amount to remove.

The obligatory 'look how much i removed shot':

3cc36757.jpg

I didn't weigh it, but i'd say it was probably 25kgs, more if you include the stereo stuff.

I've found a load of extra stereo wires behind the dash which would indicate it's had a biggish install in it at some point. I'm going to remove the dash tomorrow and strip out what I can, it'll also allow me to remove the passenger airbag at the same time.

Anyway, it all ended up looking like this before I got bored and came indoors:

60c74ef4.jpg

2206342e.jpg

5d69cd58.jpg

On another note all the bits to mount the seats have turned up so I might give them a trial run tomorrow:

5b4dc2b5.jpg

Finally, i'd bought a set of original wheels for the car and had big plans for them, however was browsing the forum the other day and a deal just to good to miss came up, so I sold my original wheels and went for them. They look great and come complete with cheat tyres!

505696c6.jpg

....and then, well, I was browsing the forum the other day and a deal just to good to miss came up, so went for them as well.

e831ff73.jpg

I now have far too many wheels again, so am going to sell the renault wheels currently fitted to the car. One slight problem though, god knows where the locking wheel nut key is...

Golf GTD Mk7
Weld another nut to the locking nut. May work. Otherwise try and drill them out. Good luck :(

Nice work by the way :) have you got a spare block?

172, Tiguan

Yes mate, have a read back, it's the red one.

Not got a welder here so going to try bashing a socket over it!

172, Tiguan

Had a day on the car today, and come late afternoon even had some help! Cheers Tom and Chris!

Started off by tidying the garage a bit and putting all the bits outside that are stored in the car every night. I'm at the point where we've virtually taken everything possible off the car and there is stuff everywhere, so everytime I want to do anything it all has to be taken outside!

With that done I gave the inside of the car a hoover and removed the remaining carpet, again it was fairly weighty, so ill probably chuck this away having originally thought I'd keep it.

0e605ac5.jpg

This just left the rather thick foam sound-deadening. Centre console had to come out to allow this to be removed.

I did however find a nice Snap-on spanner and 50p! :D

5ce6f0c1.jpg

With that all out I set about removing the top of the dash:

02c18418.jpg

2724ddf7.jpg

This allowed me to remove the passenger airbag (heavy!), tweeters in the dash, various stereo and airbag wires + all the cd changer harness.

The weather had improved so cleaned up the upper inlet and sprayed with high temp paint. Was quite chuffed with this!

eefbc983.jpg

I then set about stripping the cabin of all the seat pretensioners and airbag wiring (there was lots). I stripped the loom right back and am just keeping what I need. I forgot to take any pics at this point, but made some progress. Electrical stuff and wiring is my least favourite activity, but taking it slowly i'll get there. Most of the loom can be discarded, I need very little of it.

Late afternoon and Chris and Tom turned up. I had a list of jobs as long as my arm, but even with further searching we couldn't find the locking wheel nut key. We tried a hammer and chisel on one but it didn't budge. I've got various options to get them out, but the easiest will just be to order a new key i suspect. Frustrating.

497f3f5d.jpg

Tom helped remove a bit of wiring.

With the rear wheels still on the back of the car went up:

0c44474d.jpg

Shocks were undone top and bottom and they came out very easily once we'd got the bolt undone!

da3aaaa2.jpg

Boys working hard!

5be32021.jpg

With that done we went down the pub. :D

Last edited:
  BMW E36 328

Great read mate.... Good choice of seats aswel.

Rob

Golf GTD Mk7
Good progress Jon. Only problem you may find is that the wheel nuts aren't from that car :( not sure if there is anything other way to find the correct key for them.

172, Tiguan

I know mate it's a real dilemma. Without an engine in it I can't drive it to a welder, and the wacking a chisel into the just didn't work. The other option is a reverse tapper thing. I might take the risk with the key though first, just not sure on cost!

Got your pm, not sure if we're going to build the old damaged engine back up at some point, so going to keep hold of it for now chap.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Great progress again Jon, I was going to buy those wheels when I saw them, but I saw your interest and decided to to persue.

Car looks really good so far, are you going to get rid of the red ones then?

I can't believe you've got Tom getting his hands dirty, didn't know he was into that kind of thing, I've had a very full weekend of mechanics, and it's really re-kindled my love for it, so my offer still stands if you ever need a hand :)

Keep up the good work.

Oh, and what does the locking wheel nut look like? I have a few different kinds lying around and I'm sure other local members can lend you one etc.

172, Tiguan

It's the standard Renault one mate. It's got a spinning sleeve round the edge and a flower pattern in the middle. Apparently they only made a few variations, so one of yours might fit if you've got a few knocking around?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I'll pop over to my mums and have a look mate, I've got a few bits still in her garage (she hates me) lol!

If not, I'm sure someone around here will have it, it's not like you'll need it in the future right?

I'll ask some local members :)

172, Tiguan

Yeah, I'll only be using it to undo the 4 bolts once. Be really chuffed if we could find one to fit! Thanks for the help.