ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

Re: Jon's trackday MK1 172 project thread

Lol @ buying more wheels. Surprised you didn't want the turbines off me.

Good progress and what lovely assistants you have. Like two prettier Debbie McGee's and I suppose you do look a bit like Paul Daniels.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Chrome turbines and some whitewall tyres would make it awesome.

172, Tiguan

I don't look anything like Paul Daniels, pmsl. Brad Pitt maybe. Ugly fcuker!

I'm in serious need of whitewalled tyres, do they do them in 195/50?

Maybe you both have the same barber. That could be it.

What colour are you doing the white wheels?

172, Tiguan

I cba to touch them so they are staying white for now. Ideally the 888's will go on them and the red ones will be the road wheels, but again CBA. I'm swapping the 4 good PE2's onto them and selling the Dynamique wheels on the car as they're the wrong offset and heavy!

I thought you'd mastered the 'put wheels on, using hairspray and a lighter but don't set yourself on fire' technique?

Find a local garage and bung them 20 for sticking some tyres on. That's what I do.

172, Tiguan

I'd need the 4 pe2's taken off the dynamique wheels, then 4 888's off the red wheels, then 4 888's put on the white wheels and the 4 PE2's put on the red wheels. They'd charge a fortune I bet!

We've discussed the hairspray thing, put none of us have the balls to do it to brand new tyres. LOL

Hmmmm. Yeah. Does get expensive! Those 888's aren't going to last more than a hard day though.

So kill them off. Then put the PE2's on the red ones. Buy another set of 888's for the white ones. Simple.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Cracking progress, Jon! Love the strippage! Anymore strippage still to be done?

A light car must feel immense to drive, especially on track and the red f1's i've always liked. Suited Giraffe's ph1 to the ground!

Pissy about that Lock nut! Worst things in the world sometimes, we've always just welded a socket on but with no welder options are limited!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Cracking progress, Jon! Love the strippage! Anymore strippage still to be done?

A light car must feel immense to drive, especially on track and the red f1's i've always liked. Suited Giraffe's ph1 to the ground!

Pissy about that Lock nut! Worst things in the world sometimes, we've always just welded a socket on but with no welder options are limited!

Giraffe's was black on black, I think you're thinking of Ed or something?

172, Tiguan

Big thanks to my mate Rich who works for Renault (richard1 on here). I emailed him yesterday to ask what the process is for getting a new locking wheel nut key. Apparently there is a code in the service book that gives them the type i'll need. I checked, but no luck there either, that line was blank. This wasn't going well. One hour later Rich emailed back and said he'd got a few keys from the workshop guys:

75b19287.jpg

:D

ed1260ca.jpg

17 locking wheel nut keys, some sort of master set.

583df3b5.jpg

Bingo, found one that fitted (actually I found 3 that fitted! Good ol' Renault!)

31a23a17.jpg

Sucess (even the one we mullered with a chisel on Sunday!).

Relief.

Thanks Rich.

Golf GTD Mk7

what a result :D You going to get one with that spec? or just not bother with locking nuts?

172, Tiguan

Not going to bother. Will eventually go to just a studs and nut setup, but for now will just run 4 bolts.

172, Tiguan

Out with the old:

f944e0fe.jpg

In with the new:

6bf6e95d.jpg

and then

8f7efd26.jpg

:thumb:

172, Tiguan

Blimey, long time no update.

Not much is happening as all my 'car' money is being used on home and child related stuff at the moment, plus i've not been down south for a length of time since start of June.

Little bit of time this week so thought we'd take stock of what we'd got to build engine up and actually get cracking on it.

21897e4d.jpg

Turned out the gasket set Reno supplied was only for the top of the engine. Thanks!

A test run building the bottom end up showed that the thrust bearings were not seating correctly (though funnily enough both bottom ends I have they did this!)

th_f2c7ae4f.jpg

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/wrx_king/mk1-172/?action=view&current=f2c7ae4f.mp4

Anyways, that seemed to sort itself when taken apart and put back again. Weird.

4c2d060c.jpg

31f561e4.jpg

Bottom end built up, just windage tray and sump to go on.

I've been spending the last two hours cleaning the old sump up as it was full of swarf from the engine that went bang. Horrible job!! It came up alright though and has been thoroughly checked for any remaining swarf.

46643258.jpg

I've also sprayed the cam cover. Not brilliant, but it hides under upper inlet anyway.

78c09226.jpg

Plan is to finish the bottom end tomorrow and then i'm back up north again. Funds aren't allowing me to buy the cambelt kit this month (£100!) so the full rebuild might have to wait a few weeks.

Car is looking fairly sorry for itself at the mo:

670ca920.jpg

....it's storing it's own future parts...

12276714.jpg

However the phase 2 dash conversion is coming along (lol)....

9ad2d81b.jpg

More soon, I hope.

Si

RS Clio 172

They look great and come complete with cheat tyres!

Drop me your address in a PM mate and I'll send the remaining paint over :) Not actually sure how much is left, mind.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Nice project.

Are those Vmaxx coilovers you've fitted? I found the rear was twitchy when set too low and after I raised it the handling was much better.

Thread title is wrong though it's a Ph1 not a Mk1.

172, Tiguan

Well spotted Sherlock, I'll change it.

Yeah they are VMaxx and a stop gap until budget allows something more suited to the task. It'll be setup properly when the car is finished, though it looks quite low as the back of the car is filled with wheels and other parts.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks awesome on those red wheels, if mine weren't so mint and silver, I'd be considering red!

Love the "work" with the dash too.

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
I'll eventually be painting the cage red as well to tie it all in.

I've read that Vmaxx may be a little soft on track, but look forward to trying them out to see how they go :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The red wheels are fantastic looking. Really suit the silver as well as black.

Getting there!

172, Tiguan
By way of an update (or lack there of...)

After I'd bought the OMP cage for Clio I changed my mind about it and fancied something a bit more substantial, so I decided to cut my losses and sell it.

Instead, after reading excellent reviews, I've ordered a brand new cage from Ktec/Oreca - called their 'race' cage it looks like this:

race_cage_1.jpg

race_cage_2.jpg

race_cage_3.jpg

Details are here:

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_prod...=3815&appid=21

I've seen pics of a couple fitted and both have said similar to this:

"My Oreca cage arrived complete with all plates and bolts for the different installation options. The tubes were all cut a profiled perfectly, unlike other cage kits on the market. No cutting or adjustment was required. We just tacked them in, double checked the alignment and welded the cage up. First class and would recommend to anyone."

It's due here soon and can't wait to get it fitted when funds allow. Big thanks to Sean at Ktec for sorting it all out for me, he's been a great help while i've dithered over what to order and how much I could afford to pay!

172, Tiguan
After a bit of a lull i'm hoping things can get moving a bit.

Cambelt kit has arrived along with a few odds and sods. I'm desperate to finish off this engine and get it back in the car!

6b0fe6e4.jpg

Engine has been put on the stand Iin a slightly odd way - Dad had already put the clutch on!). Head has been put back on using new headbolts etc etc

b77ea69f.jpg

ee3c17e8.jpg

Plan is to get the cambelt fitted one evening this week, but we're waiting for an idler spacer to turn up from a phase 2 car as we've only got the phase 1 part. As soon as that turns up we're good to go.

Whilst i've been away the new cage turned up as well. It arrived in 4 packages:

b5aba66f.jpg

74040b21.jpg

Once the engine is in and the car is running i've got to remove the rest of the dash and then get the car trailored across to a garage in Billingshurst for the cage to go in. I'm aiming for this to happen somepoint during September, but we'll have to see how that goes!

172, Tiguan
Dad and I sorted the cambelt last night and the engine is now all timed up ready to go back in. This wasn't a simple job, god knows why you'd want to do this with the engine in situ, the timing tools have to go on and off two or three times!

64327751.jpg

LY R26 #288
Good to see it coming together Jon. How did you find the timing? I had a bit of job with it but it was alright in the end.

And it wasn't that bad doing it with the engine in. I thought the aux belt was the worst bit.

172, Tiguan
Hi mate, was going to pm you later about returning the tools to you.

It wasn't too bad tbh, helped enormously by having the engine on a stand. You must have incredible patience! I think it took us just over an hour end to end to get it sorted. Everything appears to line up and we checked and double checked. I guess the proof will be when it gets fired up.

I'll pm you in a mo regards returning the tools.

Cheers

Golf GTD Mk7
if it looks fine when manually turning it, it should be good as long as all torque setting have been adhered to mate. Especially pulley ones. Coming together nicely :cool:

LY R26 #288
Glad to hear it went ok. I had to have patience, it took me two days from start to finish on the car. That was with changing the dephaser, oil and filter.

Could do it much quicker now.

Yeah just drop us a pm when your ready mate. Also I have a new number so you won't be able to reach me on the old one.

172, Tiguan
So here follows the Heath Robinson way to fit an engine. All the mechanics out there, please look away, I apologise.

The engine was ready to go back in the car and was on the stand looking pretty. Being a tight arse I didn't get around to hiring an engine crane so a bit of manual labour was needed.

My brother and I took the weight of the engine whilst Dad freed it from the stand. Hard work! With it free the three of us then lifted it into the engine bay. At this point i'll remind you that the gearbox was still in the car! (lol) We got it 'in' but it was miles away from slotting in place. We needed to align two bolts - one each side of the block - and obviously the gearbox input shaft.

A friend of mine arrived for some dinner and all four of us tried to get the engine in place. No luck. It was heavy and it was proving to be a b*****d. 40 mins passed and we were getting nowhere, so we all agreed to give up.

lol.gif

Now very occasionally we do these evenings where everybody buys a bottle of wine up to a tenner and everybody has a glass of each and then guesses what it is. Points are given for guessing the price, grape, alcohol content, country of origin, etc etc. Tonight was one of those nights. Another friend of mine turned up a bit late and so there were 6 of us and I think we had at least 7 bottles of wine.

483bbe4d.jpg

Come 11ish - and slightly worse for wear - I said to the guy in the picture, Mick, 'come and have a look at the car'.

Anyway, 3 of us, all merry, managed to fit the engine to the gearbox. I've no idea how. I did remember to take a few pics though.

3876f24a.jpg

f40bec45.jpg

f62ff320.jpg

0254ecd3.jpg

a1fee4b2.jpg

4b428e9d.jpg

22bdb700.jpg

0937d2e4.jpg

7295220c.jpg

089c66b8.jpg

I think we finished about half twelve. I guess the morale of the story is don't drink and drive, but happily drink and fit an engine.

Next job is to get it all connected back up again and then turn it over.

Last edited: