ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

172 cup, Impreza P1
Sure can. There is a very small hole next to it that you do need to block off though. Roughly 1mm in dia.

I've been through the whole thread. Looks nice Jon, liking the Martini stripe bit on it... don't like the bonnet so much though.

172, Tiguan
The bonnet was all a bit of a joke really, but i'm stuck with it for the timebeing as I need the aerocatches now.

172, Tiguan
cl1gw_zps049eae77.jpg

cl2gw_zpsc4aae07b.jpg

clio2_zps0513c31f.jpg

clio1_zps215d1500.jpg

CDFE3F87-EC91-4334-9DCA-35F7C831BA43_zpsmxnqorl9.jpg

172, Tiguan
I will at some point when funds allow. It's currently being cammed along with some ARP bolts and some R26 injectors as it had issues with fueling.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good.

I'm going to see how mine gets on in a few weeks with the standard injectors but with a 4bar rather than 3bar fuel reg.

172, Tiguan
I read somewhere that the standard injectors top out around 200 bhp (I forget!) so thought it easier to try the next side up

172, Tiguan
Yeah fair enough. Still sounds like you're going to be running them pretty hard. The R26 injectors were only £50, so not the end of the world and if I do decide to turbo in the future i'm not forced to change them again.

172, Tiguan
The red one with the blue wheels? Yeah Jamie's car is lovely. It's about to have a full cage fitted.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah fair enough. Still sounds like you're going to be running them pretty hard. The R26 injectors were only £50, so not the end of the world and if I do decide to turbo in the future i'm not forced to change them again.

About 80-85% duty cycle

Tbh if I could find a set of injectors that cheap I'd probably go that route too.

172, Tiguan
As usual, I've let this thread get well out of date. Here are some copy and paste's!

Had a faff with the shims for the cams, ended up with 2 sets. Have to say getting them to sit below the hydraulic lifters without dropping them into the head was the worst job i've ever had to do. It wasn't the hardest thing in the world but if one had slipped (which it nearly did) the head would've had to have come off. Steady hand needed.

Anyway, cams in, cam resealed and replaced and then got the engine timed back up with (another) new belt.

794A9FA0-32CC-40F2-A69A-A90B4FFBD324_zpsbkgaydl6.jpg

Sump is coming off this week to install the ARP bolts. I've bought (another) sump gasket from Reno, these seem to be going up in price but I think i've nearly got enough points to buy the entire franchise, especially since I paid £35 for a fuel hose just for the clip on the end of it...

a little bit of carbon that I brought back from the dead with some wet and dry.

F5E9DC2F-9468-4C1C-A6F1-824781A87042_zpshmgr9jom.jpg

-----------------------------

ARP bolts in and it's finally all back together. Just got to sort mapping out now and then it's good to go.

DEC5FD0D-E3AD-4130-8957-FC9387D9BF54_zpsbln8bt8l.jpg

I also bought this the other day for the second time. I bought this car brand new 11 years ago. Needs some tlc, but it's a good project. Plan is to fix the faults it has (only minor) and let my dad have some fun in it.

0DB01922-EB74-4D9F-974D-D741459A307E_zps4hurnado.jpg

7F04A898-0347-4BF6-93D3-CC1F20140C5E_zpsxkhzgatc.jpg

Car went into storage whilst we moved and then it got taken to be mapped at the weekend whilst I was still unpacking boxes. It's spending all week there on the dyno so the cold start issue can be nailed. Collecting next weekend.

IMG_3767_zpsf1be64a6.jpg

IMG_3768_zpse06479c0.jpg

---------------------------------

At EFI for mapping.

IMG_3791_zpsd5882812.jpg

I've already begun trying to sort the garage out before it returns. I've got to build a shed to get rid of the garden junk and then the rest of the flooring can be put down.

IMG_3790_zpsda8019e3.jpg

-------------------------------------------

Done
thumb.gif

First up this one was fixed and then driven south by my Dad. Simple fix and she's good to go.

D249C782-C92E-407B-86A1-99F1174A3963_zpsnoryz2vx.jpg

Mine had been left with Chris at Efi for the week and we travelled down to collect it Saturday. Liverpool is a bit of a trek from Durham!!

The car now starts and runs from cold which is a 300% improvement on before and the power is very linear all the way up to the limiter. It drives really well.

I forgot that the fuel in it was 10 month old Sainsburys 95 ron, so there's probably a little more to give as well.

Hopefully MOT'ing it this week then it's good to go.

0ADBF418-F2FB-48A3-B374-AE2CDE833CDC_zpszndi2bis.jpg

D0D8F0B7-8EEC-4BED-A7E0-9F6777D0C764_zpsr7famqye.jpg

----------------------------------

Insured, MOT'd and taxing at lunch. Might even go for a drive at the weekend.

I've bought a rear anti rollbar for it. Not that it really suffers from understeer, but I thought i'd give it a go.

Driving to the MOT place last night i forgot how quickly you can make progress in this thing, the brakes are only really used to slow for traffic getting in the way.
thumb.gif

The downside (there's always a downside) is that it's leaking a drip or two from the sump. Again. It's almost a small enough leak for me to ignore, but as i've got the sump removal down to a fine art i'll do it again. I'm going to source a new sump as I have a feeling this one isn't flat on the mating surface, even though it looks brand new.

Thanks to Andyrg for his help as usual! Top man!

I love your race car Jon, the Martini stripes etc are pure win!

It's a shame your old cup needs some tlc, but I think it'll look great soon. Are you keeping the twin exhaust on it?

172, Tiguan
lol, that was a Remus backbox that's been replaced with a Miltek system. It's not to my Dad's liking so he's going to swap it out for a standard exhaust. He's also after a set of Turini's for it.

Mine didn't make quite the power I had hoped for at EFI, but then Andy's car running Pipers was well down as well, so I'm not sure if the rollers were a bit conservative or not - i'm no expert. The car does run crazy camber which would effect readings + i remembered the fuel in it was over 10 months old and only Sainsbury's normal stuff. All those things combined it would've seen well over 200 which I'd be more happy with. I'm planning another dyno run somewhere more local soon with decent fuel in it and tyres that have more than 20psi in them! lol.

Chris has done a lovely job on the mapping though, it now starts and idles well on cold start (it's always struggled with that) and pulls very smoothly to the redline. I'm chuffed to bit's with the work he has done, but i'm also taking the power figure with a bit of a pinch of salt.

The jury is out on these cams. Andy (@Andyrg) was left distinctively unimpressed as well, though I felt his car pulled rather better than the figures on the day indicated. Read into that what you will.

The cams have shifted the power up the rev range though. Whether they offer any improvement over a set of 197 cams is anybodies guess.

Goodwood in August.

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
I didn't say they weren't!

Pinch of salt for the reasons explained in the post above. A sensible chap would've put air in his tyres and filled up with V-Power or something. As I was more concerned about moving house at the time I ignored all of that.

I can only go on what I saw that day. Andy's car made not very much, but felt more than healthy on the drive home.

172, Tiguan
Cool! I think it's the 9th August or something Iain. Be good to catch up.

Yeah it was great getting the old girl back. Shame the plate has been sold on, but it's back on the plate I picked when it was new so that's pretty cool.

172, Tiguan
The socket is still there but it's only connected to the standard ecu that runs the dash. The rest is run from the Adaptronic. We can give it a go and see what happens?

This will be a right old old skool CS meet. I'll get Dad to bring the silver one as well.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The socket is still there but it's only connected to the standard ecu that runs the dash. The rest is run from the Adaptronic. We can give it a go and see what happens?

This will be a right old old skool CS meet. I'll get Dad to bring the silver one as well.

LOL, I'll feel 33 all over again.

172, Tiguan
Just type garage flooring into Amazon. It's not the stuff I was after, but it's about 1/4 of the price. My garage is almost 7m long so I couldn't justify the extra cost.

These do crush under weight, where as the proper rubber tiles I was after don't, but it's something I can live with. They are like a large jigsaw puzzle and just push together, it only took a few hours to fit!

172, Tiguan
I drove the car south last weekend because I've got Goodwood booked for this weekend.

A few changes on the car since the last update, so i'm hoping for a dry day and looking forward to seeing how she runs.