ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just bought a 172 Cup !

172 Cup (track) FS
hello, new member here - just picked up a 172 Cup, 03 plate 43k miles to use as a track car.

f3q.jpg

side.jpg

engine_bay.jpg

just finalising details for the track prep, and went on a car control course yesterday to get to grips with no ABS in very poor conditions - the car behaves really nicely after a bit of practice and the odd 60 mph spin :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XQqOkDHvM

hoping to be out on the track within a month - as soon as the car is ready :D

S-Max
You could have bought mine! Exactly the same but with 42,000 on the clock ;)

What did you pay? Might sell mine soon and want to gauge price, thanks

172 Cup (track) FS
Hi Paul - the car will have what I'd describe as the "basic" prep done initally :

- brake upgrade
- possible spring upgrade
- poly bushes
- oil cooler
- major overhaul service inc cambelt and other parts worn by existing 43k miles
- decent steering wheel with snap-off
- rear brace

I've already removed the rear seats & belts.

Next stage will be a cage, seats and harnesses - but need to find the right combination of items first. Plus I'd like to use the car in different stages of prep to help the conversion process.

I'll put a few posts up as things progress - having great fun with the car already ! :D

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
Nice, have you done this sort of thing with a car before, how does the Cup compare as a starting base?

SLK 350
Brake upgrade?

Get some brembo/wilwoods/AP 4 pots, with some Brembo Max/HiSpec discs - http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/store/

Upto you whether you change the rear brakes, but tbh the brakes on the Clio are pretty damned good anyway, prob worth just changing the pads on the rears, some Redstuff pads would be alright if its track only, or some DS2500's.

Spring upgrade, if you're going half hog then get some Eibachs on there with some Koni dampers, speaking from experience this is a good setup. That said and if it's a trackday car i'd be spending another few bob for some decent coils, I use FK Konigsports which I can recommend for the money. H&R are also good, but they won't coil as stiff as Konigs, then theres Leda...which are the cream. Don't forget to factor in camber adjustment and alignments into cost - circa £100-£200 depending on what you're after (corner weighting etc).

Poly bushes, careful which ones you go for, heard mixed stories about Powerflex, some rate them, others don't.

Rear brace, frankly they do nothing on the Clio, again speak to Yozzasport (fred/andrew) they have a 172 Cup thats pulling a healthy 200bhp+

My money would be on primarily suspension, then brakes, then a decent exhaust system (stock exhausts are w*nk).

Enjoy your car, just be careful to start with chap. Watch the twitchy back end, and of course the understeer.

All best :)

172 Cup (track) FS
Nice, have you done this sort of thing with a car before, how does the Cup compare as a starting base?

Haven't really ventured this far before - I did a lot of asking around my car-nut contacts and they all approved of the 172 Cup.

Having driven the R32 (it's modded but not as far as I'm taking the Clio) at Castle Combe which was fun but it's too heavy unless you spend some serious £££ sorting things out, I wanted something
back-to-basics with decent performance, lightweight, no ABS and some heritage behind the model.

I'm lucky to have good tuning company backup for the track-prep and maintenance, plus have done a fair bit of research into this particular car, so this gives me the confidence to go for it.

Last edited:
Excellent choice of car - the Real McCoy ;)

I plan to start tracking mine this year and also want to get a spot of tuition. What course did you do? worth doing?

Welcome to the club :D

(Where are you based? if you don't mind me asking)

172 Cup (track) FS
The TRL course is in Bracknell - so close to you Baldylocks. PM me if you want further info.

am based near Hawyards Heath (Sussex).

172 Cup (track) FS
if only I had the budget Pacey !

don't see any point upgrading the engine until I can drive it properly - but exhaust and filter may be on the cards at some point.

the slippery modding slope begins .....

It's not mine, it used to belong to one of my mates. Seen it up close and the attention to deal is mind blowing. quick as too!

J

jbaddeley

I've got a cup bought for trackdays and as second car. Haven't gone as far as stripping out, but have got cams, H&R, brake upgrade, exhaust. If you're after advice speak to fred or andrew at Yozzasport.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Hello again fella

I just watched that clip of yours...that course should be compulsory for anyone buying a Cup IMO...did you gain much from it - apart from what not to do while trying to keep an Atom at bay ;) ?

172 Cup (track) FS
Hello again fella

I just watched that clip of yours...that course should be compulsory for anyone buying a Cup IMO...did you gain much from it - apart from what not to do while trying to keep an Atom at bay ;) ?

Hi Mark - yes I got a great deal out of the course - and will do stage 2 in early March. The course isn't "how to drive a car" - it's "how to control a car and maximise grip".

I thought that in these conditions the Cup would struggle - but with a bit of help it behaved really well.

TRL_course.jpg

OK, so I had a few mishaps - but rather there than on the road. I also learnt what causes the mishaps - and doing/watching first hand with that safety net is a superb way to learn what not to do.

With plenty of driving experience over 13 years, europe included, I wouldn't describe myself as a novice - but have realised there's plenty more to learn about car control than you pick up from driving our roads.

I'm convinced I'm doing the right thing if I'm going to get the most out of the car on the track :)

RB 182
Chris is currently setting up a 172 for track days and is making a blog of it which you can find here which you might find useful.