ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had a service, does this seem right?

Just got back from having the 182 serviced at Gravells Haverfordwest (South Wales).

Preety happy with it to be honest although I have a few things to question.

They used 5/30 oil and not the specified 5/40.

They checked off all of the tyres as above 5mm when one is nearly bald.

They "added screen wash" even though last night I filled it to the VERY top and havn't used the washers!

They checked the "check condition of wiper blades" (even though the rear one is physically falling off) and didnt change it!!

But I don't suppose I can complain as this was done with exactly the same company that quoted me £240 in Kidwelly but I only got charged £113 at Haverfordwest (even though they quoted me £138 on the phone and when I arrived they said it would be £138 aswell?!?!) :S

The description of goods/services is as follows:

Labour - £55
12k Service LU (guessing this means lubricant-oil?) - £27
Oil 5/30 ENV - £3
Environmental charge CONS - £3
Oil Filter - £6.09
Washer - £0.75
Screen Wash - £1.45
VAT - £16.94
TOTAL - £113.73

Does this seem right to you guys? As I can't work out how it was over £100 cheaper than the other place?! Also...I wonder why the price lowered from the time I took the car in, to the time when it was finished! Not complaining or anything :rasp:

Thanks all, Jacko.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
They've put the wrong oil in it, not an uncommon occurance as they've serviced it as it were a normal clio. Take it back and get them to sort that for a start.

Price wise no idea, but it doesn't look like a very clever operation on the whole imo.

I think you have done well with that!!

When i got my first service it was up around the 250 mark for basically the same descprition. I agree with the oil it is wrong. I was charged £30 for the oil they put in my 182.

Mk2 172
that oil is definately not right. way too thin! engine will let go if you thrash the nuts off it!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
I'd make a fu*king big noise to the Head of Service about Trading Standards and Voiding Warrenty

I'd be ready to say that you've spoken to Reno HQ - that gets things moving

- wrong oil (warrenty)

- ticking stuff that clearly hasn't been done - precedures/training?

- not warning of or replacing safety items (tyres, wipers)

- charging for items not supplied (screenwash) - fraud - trading standards?

Go and sort 'em out mate

Meg on pistonheads £6995
P.S: still nearly double what I paid for a 54K from an independent that WAS done properly cos I know the boss!

P.P.S: I had almost the same at Camden in Aylesbury (years ago) and made a fuss thro Reno HQ that I got £150 vouchers - next service £10

They've put the wrong oil in it, not an uncommon occurance as they've serviced it as it were a normal clio. Take it back and get them to sort that for a start.

Price wise no idea, but it doesn't look like a very clever operation on the whole imo.

I think I was charged £30 for oil aswell...The second line states '12k Service LU which I guess means lubricant/oil? Therefore I was charged £27 plus the next line which was £3?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Watchdog Which did an independant survey on a loads of garages with 20 different new cars with little things changed on each. 95% or something stupid didnt service the car or charged for doing things they had not done. Your experiences match what has been put in the papers recently.

First of all, the 3£ charge is the disposal charge for getting rid of the old oil. This is a one off fee per oil change, so make sure they didnt charge you twice for it. The wrong grade of oil has been used and doesnt add the protection you require at high heat...so get that sorted too! even if you have to do it yourself and ask for your 27 pounds back plus vat.

Then id also tell them about the tyres/rear wiper as these obviously were not checked.

The corrosion check should be done by EVERY renault garage, its part of there service schedule.

To be honest its exremely hit and miss these days with garages so what i do is to service the car myself, such as oil/oil filter/brakes/tyres/coolant/air filter etc....and then take it to the garage let them know what ive done and then ask them to do the remainder....as long as they have ONE thing to do in that service then you can get your book stamped. Usually i just drain a little coolant out and ask them to top it up and to do the corrosion check. This usually costs me around 15 quid including VAT and i get my book stamped. On the major services such as camblet id recommend getting a good garage to do it with genuine parts. Franchises i tend to steer clear from.

I just got off the phone to them this morning. First thing I asked about was the oil...and she said that the car had a semi synthetic oil put into it which is the correct oil for the car. She said that Gravells (the company) have recently changed the computer systems so the oil that actually went in was a 10w40 oil which is the correct one for my car!?!?

Then I asked about why the rear wiper was ticked off when it is clearly hanging off (this can even be seen without lifting the wiper up!!!). I said how can I be sure that the brakes have not been checked off as in good condition when they possibly havnt been checked at all! She appoligised and said that she can assure me that the mechanic that worked on my car has been there for years and does not normally make mistakes like this. At this time I had heard it all and ended the conversastion. Ahhhhhh!

Time to make a few more calls I think?!

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
i agree... i expected you to be told a web of lies haha ive had this before and as soon as you take it further they seem to spring to panic mode and offer i.e moneis back? another compleate service which through my exp. tends to be a really good one lol but defo take it further and do a self check on the oil just to be sure

VX220 lightning
correct me if im wrong....but isnt the whole point of a service to rectify problems?

Also what are happy about apart from the price? The only reason it was cheap is because they did a bloody louzy (sp) job!

Sorted...

"I have gotten away with it lightly!"

Rang them up once again to complain to the main man and got to speak to one of the mechanics and a manager. The receptionist actually undercharged me by £24 for the oil!!! She thought it was a normal clio service and put down on the receipt 5/30 when the top 5/40 was actually used.

I still have the invoice for the 5/30 going in (even though its wrong), but just incase I have any problems with the car I will take it right back and see what they have to say!

I suppose thats better than nothing? :S

Thanks guys, Jack.

Tangoed Works
sounds like a total knock to me, and how you know they didnt just charge you more for 5/40 but you still have 10/40 sloshing about inside your engine.

i reckon they prob just did an oil change and thats it.