ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K&N and tesco the insurance whores

i was told by tesco today that my k&n air filter adds 10% power increase to my standard clio!!!! and they want to charge £260!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

makes me wana cry its such a rip off, i doubt it would add 5% let alone 10, and to charge 260 for it is day light robbery, rape, slaughter and kick in the teeth.

they told me if i can prove that it doesnt add 10% it will cost less to insure. so i need to get a garage to write a letter. or get a standard 16v filter and air box thingy. ( what do they sound like standard)? also does anyone know the % power increase k&n claim? if it works on bhp 10% is about 15bhp inscrease, wft!!?

does anyone know of an air filter that doesnt add power but makes a clio sound sexy? :) i only wana sound sexy :(((((

i hate TESCO , i think we all should :)

regards, cliosport is great

I quite like Tesco insurance - they dont charge any extra for fitting a £750 brake kit with bigger discs and 6 pot calipers.

have you fitted an air filter? if not what does the standard filter/box sound liek compared to a non standard such as k&n??

why not try adrian flux?..once you start to mod your car I reckon its best to go with modding friendly insurance people

or mail k & N

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

when i had my valver and fitted a k+N filter i found no difference in the performance, but the vehicle sounded alot better, especially the way the filter sucks the air in!!

Quote: Originally posted by CraigM on 26 July 2003

I quite like Tesco insurance - they dont charge any extra for fitting a £750 brake kit with bigger discs and 6 pot calipers.
what car needs that kind of breaking power?

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Hats off to Epic for being an honest motorist.

It also shows how naive insurance companies are!

I dont have a solution for you epic other than sell the induction kit and keep the standard airbox - you will gain anything from the kit apart from a nice noise - which is up to you whether thats worth shelling another £260 a year for.

IMO

Paul

thanks for replies. it really pissses me off, all i want is a bit of a roar from my car, no was does it add 10% :(( they told me they had air filters listed which add 100% power increase. i think they need to review their system.

what i really need to find from this is how different does a standard 16v sound from one with a filter on it? i heard from someone they are pretty lound and nice sounding from standard

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

when i had my valver it had a full scorpion exaust on it!!!
i added the k+N and it sounded well loud!!!

if anything the k&n will give you a 10% decrease:D there feckin sh*te, they just sound good, keep the standerd one and replace the element inside for a better one, youll have much better performance..........

will they give you a discount if your car looses power!!,my old saxo vts was far less responsive when i put the k&n filter on,and a pain on the motorway too!,so i took it off and sold it!.

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 26 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by CraigM on 26 July 2003

what car needs that kind of breaking power?

Mine - it has crap brakes as standard, which I put down to it having brake assist (unlike the 172) which (as I have been told) means you dont get full braking power untill the computer/ecu decides your doing an emergency stop at which point it eventually gives full servo assistance.....

Elise/VX220/R26

Dont loose sleep about not declaring mods. They deal with that many claims they wont check into everything anyway. Ive had a modded car into direct line who run their own garage and they never said anything about filter/brakes/zorst that were fitted!

Epic, tell them fcuk all!

Worst case scenario.... you have an "off", so you take the induction kit off for the purposes of inspection (if there is one) and repair. Easy.

Ive stood on the hard shoulder, in the rain in the middle of the night with a 10mm socket, taking bits off... You gotta do what you gotta do!

L

liam

hello! im a sad boring prick who works for tesco motor insurance so give me a ring! ill put it down for less than 10% power increase! ring the same tesco insurance number then ask the operater if there in doncaster call centre and if so tell them to patch you through to me on exten 2928! if you get through to leeds or manchester then your on your f**king own!!! soz

Willy2

keep your standard airbox in the garage and put the K&N on for now, if anything happens just swap them back. Dont declare things like this, its just another excuse for the insurance to make money from you! Ring them up and tell them you are not putting on the filter and you are running standard!

I found the K&N was only good for motorway or long road driving after 4.5K in the valver! otherwise it slowed the car down, 10% increase? they are talking out of their rectums! They probably dont even know what one looks like!

Clio v6

Get you car tested before and after the K&N fitted, then give the insurance company a report showing the 0.00001% gain.

Try Liverpool Victoria....... they are sooooooooooo cheap!

Ive got a 2.0 16v Nova on throttle bodies, leather / alcantara trim, brakes suspension exhaust manifold mods etc etc....

Adrain Flux quoted me £554, fully comp, protected no claims, legal assitance, £300 excess etc etc im 32....... Greenlight quoted me £683 renewal £400 excess!!! both were on a limited mileage of 3000 miles and had a supposid agreed value / /like for like.....

Liverpool Victoria quoted me £252!!!! with all of the above!! but no limited mileage etc, as long as i have all receipts and plenty of photos of the car its as good as a like for like policy! With it being modified they ask you aload of questions which you have to say yes or no to once thats done its sorted!

Since ive had the quote ive been on a few of the vaux forums and alot of people are using them and have found them extremely good. So this is who im going with for the next 12 months!

Give them a try!

Cheers

Nick

Oooops sorry heres Liverpool Victorias number!!

0800 032 0636 or 0870 600 4528

Just one thing the first time i phoned up i got a muppet on the otherend who wasnt very goog and said they couldnt do it, so i found back the next morning and spoke toa Darren Carroll.. he knew his stuff and sorted it all for me!

Cheers

Nick

I am thinking of getting an air filter too.....

Tesco have just quoted me £177.45 to put it on my 172.. i tried to explain to them that the car does not even push 172BHP now and it will still be no where near 172BHP after the filter is fitted.. BUT they wont listen, i only want it for the sound... the car is fast enough at the mo.........

ZZZZZ (dreams NOS) zzzzzzzz

172nightrider

thanks for the replies,

i have to tell tesco. my parents wont let me drive my car with the k&n on. they think tesco will be knocking on the door to inspect the filter. they think i should be happy to pay 260 squid to have a sh*tty k&n, not even a decent filter.

all i want is the sound. i dont give two sh*tes about power increase. i emailed k&n and they said it gives me 6% power increase on a standard clio 16v. i might try prooving that it doesnt even give me 6%, but not sure how to go about it.

ps tesco is w**k