ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec 182 Turbo at fcs

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Did anyone hear or even see this?As i was walking back from the pit wall i went through their garage to find one of the k-tec guys on the floor underneath the car,i asked what had happened and the dog bone mount had perished.When i saw it,it was oval and should be round and the "purple" polybushes had split........How did that happen?,i asked,...torque from the engine?...yes was the reply....unreal.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Was that the Trophy, think it had "Daz" in the number plate or something like that?

If so, it was properly flying, was one of very few cars I got done by in my turbo phase 1, I would think it must be 350bhp+ ?

ITB BG 182
I think I spoke to the guy in the garage with it, Some thing like 343 or 353 bhp with 500lbs of torque.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think I spoke to the guy in the garage with it, Some thing like 343 or 353 bhp with 500lbs of torque.

500lbft?
Not sure I can see a lot of point in that sort of balance between power and torque, would be horrible to drive in a fwd car, are you sure you have that right?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yes it was Flying round the track very quick :approve: !! Very impressive very messy install under the bonnet thou .

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Ye,it was the one with daz,i dont know how they got on cuz there wasnt anywhere they could get a spare dogbone from.....It must of been like clarkson with his mitsubishi starion.....went round....overtoook everything then back to the pits for repairs...lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ye,it was the one with daz,i dont know how they got on cuz there wasnt anywhere they could get a spare dogbone from.....It must of been like clarkson with his mitsubishi starion.....went round....overtoook everything then back to the pits for repairs...lol.

Well it was certainly flying early on.
Might be worth him using a rose jointed one instead, thats what I did on my Mk1.

I'd imagine it was more the heat that is the issue than the torque though TBH for killing the one they had, it was for me anyway.

Astra H vxr
Well it was certainly flying early on.
Might be worth him using a rose jointed one instead, thats what I did on my Mk1.

I'd imagine it was more the heat that is the issue than the torque though TBH for killing the one they had, it was for me anyway.
Was you in the white ph1 I remember watching a kept seeing a ph1 Clio flying past and def sounded like it was running a turbo sounded soo nice :D I cant remember the colour maybe white? But might have been you as was soo quick lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Was you in the white ph1 I remember watching a kept seeing a ph1 Clio flying past and def sounded like it was running a turbo sounded soo nice :D I cant remember the colour maybe white? But might have been you as was soo quick lol

Black with gold wheels mine is mate so must have been someone else.

Astra H vxr
Ahhhh think I might have a picture of your car actually thinking about it , il have alook for you mate edit: was a black saxo with gold wheels :(

ITB BG 182
500lbft?
Not sure I can see a lot of point in that sort of balance between power and torque, would be horrible to drive in a fwd car, are you sure you have that right?

COuld be wrong as I had a 3 way convo going at the time plus could hear the missis shouting me.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
That was Darren Wright's homebrew Clio Trophy, it really is a quick car a credit to him. Runs 350 BHP and 400 lb/ft. A clever mix of megane and Clio engines running our GEN90 ECU. Great car and great guy, one of the three customer cars we had out on track taking people out at FCS. Between the three, nearly 1000 BHP!

Darren did comment yours went well Chip, sorry not to have sen you there, would have been good to put a face to the name.

Sean.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That was Darren Wright's homebrew Clio Trophy, it really is a quick car a credit to him. Runs 350 BHP and 400 lb/ft. A clever mix of megane and Clio engines running our GEN90 ECU. Great car and great guy
Sounds good, is it on the 172 box still? Does it have a diff?

one of the three customer cars we had out on track taking people out at FCS. Between the three, nearly 1000 BHP!
Lol, thats just greedy.

Darren did comment yours went well Chip
He was being kind then, he properly trounced us :p
Although I guess we probably made him work a bit harder than most 172s did, it must have felt like they were reversing at him going down the straight as even I was coming up on them pretty quickly!

sorry not to have sen you there, would have been good to put a face to the name.

Sean.
Likewise mate.

Have you got a graph for it you wouldnt mind posting?
As even 400lbft from a 350bhp engine is implying its making peak torque pretty low in the rev range, ie under 5K, so it would be interesting to see the shape of the curve.

I must confess that for FWD cars I prefer more power than torque generally as I dont like a midrange surge that brakes traction and then when you finally get it to hook up the torque then drops higher up in the rev range, but obviously if you map throttle angle as a control for boost request you can make them drive around that really well, its only when on basic boost control its really a problem, and then it means in 4th/5th gear it can be animal with all that torque once you have the traction.

Im hoping for 300bhp from my mk1 engine when I do it, but keeping the torque under 250lbft and nice and flat.

MX-5
I was one of the very lucky few that got a ride in the Trophy. I went out in the afternoon after the dog bone mount problem had been fixed and it's a properly awesome piece of kit.

It doesn't really surge at all, just relentless shove from low down (didn't see what from as it didn't spend much time there) and it keeps going and building to the redline. The slicks and LSD helped put all the power down and it never felt once like it was too much power/torque, around the last chicane for instance Darren was on the power hard after the initial turn-in :eek:

Apparently he never got overtaken all day!

All I can say is awesome. Great guy with a great car. I hope the last issue got sorted ok.

Turbo Trophy Evo 8,
Hi, it was me with the Turbo trophy, it was the torque that did the dog bone but it was Reno sport that got me out of trouble,they had a spare standard dog bone off one of their twingos, a big thanks to them as you cant plan a part like that failing, other than that the car ran faultless and it was only running just under a bar of boost, it was mapped to 1.2 bar for the 335hp and 400lb of torque,the torque is un real, no lag and pulls out of the bends like a rocket, their is more to come, but my aim is reliability, so working with ktec I wont have any issues, as with this build yes it is home brewed but it wouldn't have been possible without the lad at ktec, any problems I had they did their best to help me out with no money gains to themselves, they made my day there great.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's a really competant little car mate, you've done fantastically.
Was the only car I met on track all day that made mine feel slow by comparison!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Shame i didn't see you there Chip! Which car is yours?

Have been checking out the track a fair bit of time, funny to see clio's keeping up with the megane 265 on the straight :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We had our two black 172s with us mate
Our turbo phase1 that we were out on track with and our rs2 phase2 which was on the cliosport stand.
we were quicker than a 265 on the straight by quite a bit tbh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is our Phase 1 mate:
turbofcs1.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
aha, saw a ph.1 turbo at the Hilton hotel nearby. guess that's the 197 head converted turbo conversion...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
aha, saw a ph.1 turbo at the Hilton hotel nearby. guess that's the 197 head converted turbo conversion...

Yes mate this is the 197 head and inlet one that Michael Woodford Motorsport did.

Jack from MWM sold it off, and then the lad who bought it sold it to me as Ive always had a real softspot for it since I mapped it with Mike when he had first finished the project.