ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec 4 Pot Kit For 172

I knew Ben would be on hand to sort it out! I meant what he said hehe, though all of what i know has come from him, well the stuff thats right anyway.

I bet the guys not even going to get it after all that!

Clio 1.6 16V

It will only stop quicker (max braking) in good dry conditions with good tyres. In the wet (max braking), even with decent tyres, you will quicky exceed the limits of adhesion, so will be limited by the ABS kicking in.

The main differences with this kit over standard will be the improved progressiveness (if there is such a word!) of the brakes, allowing you to control the force to a point just before loosing adhesion and also the resistance to fade (larger braking torque and friction area). All the guys that have driven performance non-ABS cars in the past will know what I mean.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 18 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 18 August 2003

They WILL NOT shorten braking distances.. the only way to do that would be to provide more grip between the car and the road. put it this way, do you think it makes any difference how big your brakes are on ice ? NO.. why ? cause there is no traction between the tyre and the road.

Same goes with the 172 brakes, you can lock the wheels with its brakes even on anti-skid stuff, so putting bigger brakes on will not shorten braking distances.

You can lock the brakes, but doesnt mean you should or will, in fact if youre good enough you should never lock the brakes!

Braking is friction, kinetic energy to thermal. The pads going across the discs causes a build up of heat. The better pads and discs the more heat, the more stopping power.

Now, also youll know the bigger the spanner, the easier it is to loosen a bolt, right? The bigger a disc, the further out a caliper can be, multipot calipers have their piston centres mounted to move them out even more and so give an increase in torque length.

Therefore, once again, bigger brakes will stop you quicker! I understand youre point about if theres no grip it doesnt matter how big the brakes are, but there is normally always grip so i feel youre misleading people somewhat with your theory, especially when you make it out as some kind of fact.

-Rob
ARRRRGGHHH!!!

You totally missed the point again, dont lecture me about the dissapation of kinetic energy through heat... and sometimes noise.. I did higher physics.

The point Mr. Fenn is that I dont care if you have 400 inch disks with 4000 pot calipers.. its still your tyres that determine how hard you can brake.

read this at least 10 times before replying.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Slugger on 18 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 18 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 18 August 2003

They WILL NOT shorten braking distances.. the only way to do that would be to provide more grip between the car and the road. put it this way, do you think it makes any difference how big your brakes are on ice ? NO.. why ? cause there is no traction between the tyre and the road.

Same goes with the 172 brakes, you can lock the wheels with its brakes even on anti-skid stuff, so putting bigger brakes on will not shorten braking distances.

You can lock the brakes, but doesnt mean you should or will, in fact if youre good enough you should never lock the brakes!

Braking is friction, kinetic energy to thermal. The pads going across the discs causes a build up of heat. The better pads and discs the more heat, the more stopping power.

Now, also youll know the bigger the spanner, the easier it is to loosen a bolt, right? The bigger a disc, the further out a caliper can be, multipot calipers have their piston centres mounted to move them out even more and so give an increase in torque length.

Therefore, once again, bigger brakes will stop you quicker! I understand youre point about if theres no grip it doesnt matter how big the brakes are, but there is normally always grip so i feel youre misleading people somewhat with your theory, especially when you make it out as some kind of fact.

-Rob
There is always a level of grip but if you have abs you can always put your foot on the floor and get the abs to come on, if you dont have abs you can always put your foot on the floor and lock up. Braking distance is limited by tyre grip, bigger brakes wont change that.

I knew this would happen

I wouldnt waste your breath KDF, rob will never agree, ive been here before on a similar subject.
Thankyou Slugger, at least someone has some common sense.

Rob, go and read your mk2 phase 2 haynes manual.. you know .. the one thats deffinatly out.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by joe_no12 on 18 August 2003

Slugger/KDF,

From what I have read you are saying that you can lock the wheels or get the ABS to activate on any grippy surface at any speed?

So what wrong with the stock brakes? If they are up to the job then why look at upgrades?
As I already stated, better pedal feel, less brake fade etc.

If youre on a track day you would probably notice brake fade really badly with the stock items. With upgraded parts the brake fade will lessen so you could stay on track longer.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 18 August 2003

so if they perform better (thats what your saying right?) why dont you stop in less distance?

when dads s8 had the new brakes fitted (the others were great anyway) it improved the stopping distance quite a bit.

please explain?

So if i had two identical 172s one with stock brakes and theother with k-tec ones they would stop inthe same distance?
Yes, because the 172 brakes are powerfull enough to lock the wheels. The braking distance is determined by grip level.

The only thing between the car and the road is the tyres, therfor the level of grip the tyres produce on any givin surface dictates how quickly you will stop.

If you wanna stop quicker, then upgrade your tyres.

Unlucky loser, no ones listening anymore!

Point is you reckoned bigger brakes dont make a difference, and they do. I win, game over!

-Rob

lol....KDF, the thermodynamics expert in vehicular retardation specifics lol....

Same brakes, same tyres same car, add a different weight shift through a higer CoG and inertial forces will mean you take longer to stop.

Tyres will be teh finite limiting factor, but you can improve even with the std tyres.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 19 August 2003

Yeah, suck on that thermodynamics expert in vehicular retardation!

^^^^^^^^ There is only one r****d on here ^^^^^^^^^^^