ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec mounts

Excess vibration is only caused if they aren't fitted properly, if wrongly fitted the vibration is unbearable!

340i
After running these engine mounts for 1000 miles now I can report they have settled very nicely....

There was some vibration when fitted, but now after bedding in the vibration is minimal, TBH you can hardly tell the difference between standard and K-tec mounts.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
After running these engine mounts for 1000 miles now I can report they have settled very nicely....

There was some vibration when fitted, but now after bedding in the vibration is minimal, TBH you can hardly tell the difference between standard and K-tec mounts.

Same here, I think they are well worth the money, I have the dogbone mount done too.

I've had mine fitted for 2 weeks now - only been to donington and back but there's a LOT of vibration

The whole dashboard vibrates around £3k - sounds like everything is working loose

Not a massive amount of vibration on tickover - but yeah moving there's a fair bit
Also 5-5.5k it resonates in the car and nearly deafens me LOL

Have I done something wrong or do they just need to bed in?

RS RIP
^^ hmmm i will want to know this too.

Tom , help us out on correct fitting prety pleeeeease ? I can imagine an engine-neutral sitting spot when actually tightening the mounts up, or do i sound very nutty now ?

ITB'd MK1
doing 1 mount at a time = vibrations. you have to put all the mounts on loosely, rock the engine so it all sits naturally, then tighten everything

Yeah that's pretty much what Tom's just emailed me

Would have been nice of KTR to put some instructions in with them LOL

I'm gonna try loosening the 4 bolts around the drivers mount and the main nut - give it all a good pull and push and see if it stops the vibrations a bit - cos currently bits of my dashboard is falling off while I drive lol

RS RIP
doing 1 mount at a time = vibrations. you have to put all the mounts on loosely, rock the engine so it all sits naturally, then tighten everything

^^ great !

Is this (rock the engine so it all sits..) when the jack is still supporting the engine, or do you mean rocking the engine with jack removed ?

I'm assuming they mean jack removed mate - I've got a 2hr trip over to wales tomorrow morning and then back on Sunday

First thing in the morning i'm gonna try loosening the bolts and give it all a good pull and push without it being on the trolley jack - see if it will settle a bit. But I'm gonna take my torque wrench and tools with me lol

*sigh* wish they'd put some instructions in with it all lol

RS RIP
it's a first for them too mate, they are watching/waiting on reactions to learn from these i'm thinking ;)

i'm also guessing the engine will be hard to get "neutral" with all the mounts loosened (because of all the weight) , this is why i questioned ?

Mental 172 Cup
surely with the demand for people wanting to buy these we could sort out some sort of group buy :) i would be very interested in this if soo!

If anyone else is interested about the vibrations

I did what Tom suggested on saturday before a drive to Wales

I loosened off the 4 main 16mm bolts holding the drivers side mount in place - and loosened off the 15mm nut in the middle

I then made sure the engine bracket had the stud sticking up directly in the center and re-torqued up the 15mm nut.

Then gave the engine a good push and pull - and even started it up and blipped it a few times - this seemed to settle the engine mount in - so then I re-torqued all the 16mm bolts up

Noticeably less vibrations now - it still rattles the dash on tickover but driving the noises are much less than they were

Spot on :D

340i

I loosened off the 4 main 16mm bolts holding the drivers side mount in place - and loosened off the 15mm nut in the middle

I then made sure the engine bracket had the stud sticking up directly in the center and re-torqued up the 15mm nut.

Then gave the engine a good push and pull - and even started it up and blipped it a few times - this seemed to settle the engine mount in - so then I re-torqued all the 16mm bolts up

Noticeably less vibrations now - it still rattles the dash on tickover but driving the noises are much less than they were

LOL!

These are one of the best upgrades you can do for the clio IMO, certainly the best few hundred of spent on mine, makes it feel like a different car.

RS RIP
^^ good going ! great info, as i have done my OEM ones wrong after reading this. Got a dogbone set on its way now and will be putting on some stiff top ones on when i can afford them.

I got a call today from where i ordered the Powerflex bushes. Powerflex seemed to have burned down completely and now have to start prduction all over againso my wait time will be a month ! :(

Bad luck Powerflex ! :eek:

Franx - that happened ages ago - near christmas but yeah they're trying to get production back up

I bought and fitted a powerflex lower mount last month - when it turned up inside the packet had a strong smoke smell. I suspect it was stock that wasnt damaged by the fire - but man it smelled bad lol

ITB'd MK1

did you loosen the upper gearbox mount at the same time? That's what you have to do to eliminate vibration. Loosen the 2 bolts either side of the gearbox mount AND the 4 bolts on the upper mount all at the same time (only a couple of turns needed) pull the engine back and forth a couple of times, then re-tighten

There didn't seem any point in loosening the gearbox mount as the bolt holes are the same size as the bolts - there's nowhere for it to "settle"

So I just did the drivers side mount and its quite a bit quieter

I might whip my battery and airbox back off this weekend and try the gearbox one too - but I can't see it doing much

Ph1
Fitted these mounts a couple of weeks back and very impressed. Just waiting on the new Ktec dog bone now.

One pointer. Theres only a bolt holding the upper mount in place ie, no casing that it slots into like the Renault one. If there was any sort of serious heavy front end impact could imagine the bolt would sheer off

Last edited:
  RS RIP
Andy, which "new" dogbone is this? I just ordered the purple powerflex bushes, never knew about a new one ? bummer?

RS RIP
^^ right, we were talking about a Ph1 , sorry ! I have a phase two, purple ones for twisted bone on the way

Clio 172 MK2
hi,
Ive been driving the car for the last two weeks with the powerflex bushes (dogbone), and it does make a big difference, neverthelss it vibrates like hell, its like sitting inside a vibrator, i think ill change back to an original dogbone, i just cant stand it, the wheel, dashboard, everything is shaking trembling ! (anyone knows how much an original dogbone costs? mine is a ph2 172)

hi,
Ive been driving the car for the last two weeks with the powerflex bushes (dogbone), and it does make a big difference, neverthelss it vibrates like hell, its like sitting inside a vibrator, i think ill change back to an original dogbone, i just cant stand it, the wheel, dashboard, everything is shaking trembling ! (anyone knows how much an original dogbone costs? mine is a ph2 172)

When I fitted my powerlex dogbone bushes it made no difference to vibration at all - it was only fitting the KTec mounts that created vibration

Clio 172 MK2
When I fitted my powerlex dogbone bushes it made no difference to vibration at all - it was only fitting the KTec mounts that created vibration
two weeks ago ive changed 3 mounts, the dogbone (powerflex) the upper gear mount (k-tech , regular) and the lower engine mount (k-tech, regular), so its pretty obvious that its the dogbone mount which does all the trembling..and its really unbearable...

Si

RS Clio 172

i'd agree. As i have the powerflex dogbone mount bushes but all other mounts are std. no extra vibration here :)

Si

RS Clio 172
i'm no expert but going on what Tom, Danny etc. have said earlier in the thread, if mounts are fitted incorrectly they'll cause excess vibration. where did you have them fitted?

Clio 172 MK2
i'm no expert but going on what Tom, Danny etc. have said earlier in the thread, if mounts are fitted incorrectly they'll cause excess vibration. where did you have them fitted?
Renault garage... but its a simple task, how can it be fitted badly? maybe i'll take a look tomorrow morning to check it out.
But i've heared a lot of other people who did complain about these vibrations after installing the PF dogbone bushes...

ITB'd MK1
Renault garage... but its a simple task, how can it be fitted badly? maybe i'll take a look tomorrow morning to check it out.
But i've heared a lot of other people who did complain about these vibrations after installing the PF dogbone bushes...

you have the standard upper mounts? do the same thing as i said for the uprated items, slacken it all and re-tighten (dont have to remove the bolts, just undo them a couple of turns.

It may just be that your upper mounts are worn out though