ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Racing Clio 182 Series - Silverstone

Clio 182 Race Car
My name is Dan Livingstone, I'm a Novice Racing Driver. I won a competition ran by Pistonheads.Com in 2013, the prize was a fully paid drive in the
Caterham Academy. The year went well and I achieved 3 podiums and finished the championship 4th overall. This year I’m racing in the K-Tec Racing Clio 182 Series. Round One at Silverstone is my 5[SUP]th [/SUP]ever race that I have competed in. I thought I would share some pictures and onboard videos from the weekend at Silverstone. We raced
on the National Circuit and there were 20 entrants going into the weekend.

Friday testing went well and I managed to get up to what I thought was a good pace. In the final session I managed to set my fastest lap of the day but the following lap carried too much speed into Turn 1 (Copse), the car got away from me and I ended in the gravel. Not the most ideal ending to a good days testing! Unfortunately the Alternator Belt was ripped in half by the gravel stones. A couple guys in the paddock came together and helped me repair the car so it was all ready for Qualifying.

Qualifying.jpg

how to print screen on pc

Saturday arrived and it was time to Qualify. 10 minutes before Qualifying I noticed a whirring noise coming from the car. A couple guys who work for Bucks Automotive investigated the issue. The alternator belt was adjusted and they also came to the conclusion there could be a stone trapped in the caliper still, following the off on Friday. I made my way to the assembly area in a dash to make sure I didn’t lose any track time. Luckily just as I got there the green flag was waved and the session had begun. I decided to build my pace slowly to get three banker laps in and then push hard for some fast times.

Luckily I managed to match my pace from testing and set some good laps. My two fastest laps were in the late 1:09's. I came into the pit lane and was told I had qualified P2! This was awesome! I knew there were some quick guys in this series (ex champions and race winners) so I had previously set myself a target to be in the top 10 to start race one. The only guy that out qualified me was a guy called Mark who is a Race Instructor at Silverstone. To be on the pace of someone like him and faster than the others was a great feeling.

Race_A.jpg

Race One I was really cautious at the beginning which cost me heavily. Coming from Caterham racing it took me a few laps to adjust to the type of racing which goes on. Eventually I managed to pick off a couple guys to finish the race in P4. Only missing out on the podium by a tenth or two.

Race Two I aimed to put into practice everything which I had learnt from the first race. This unfortunately got as far as Turn 1 as I was punted off the track after being hit from behind. I got out of the gravel and managed to make my way up to P13.

All in all it was a great weekend. I didn't imagine I would be this competitive on my first tintop race after only having 2 hours seat time coming into this weekend. I have learnt a lot and will aim to put this into practice at the next round.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182 Race Car
Cheers Martin!

I'll put the link up for Race 2.... It was a lonely race after being hit off so didn't know if anyone would want to see it.

Cup In bits
Good results from your first weekend against the competition that was there.

I look forward to the vids when I get a chance.

Cheers Martin!

I'll put the link up for Race 2.... It was a lonely race after being hit off so didn't know if anyone would want to see it.

Watching race 1 now. Your car seems to have good pace on the straights.

Just out of interest, why do you have a passenger seat in? Potential 6-10kg of weight to lose there ;) depending on the seat.

Think the camera needs to go a little lower down for your next race though :)

Anyway I'll shut up and enjoy the rest of the vid..

Clio 182 Race Car
Watching race 1 now. Your car seems to have good pace on the straights.

Just out of interest, why do you have a passenger seat in? Potential 6-10kg of weight to lose there ;) depending on the seat.

Think the camera needs to go a little lower down for your next race though :)

Anyway I'll shut up and enjoy the rest of the vid..

Cheers :)

My car does seem to have good pace...shows how good the build quality was from the person I bought the car off. A couple times I was getting a better exit leading onto the straights and that helped a lot.

I keep the passenger seat in because this helps me meet the minimum weight for the series. The car has also been corner weighted as it is so I don't really want to change the balance really. Also I drive the car to the circuit and my girlfriend needs a seat! ha

Yes I'm going to lower the camera a bit next time.

It was a good race and 1 more lap and I might of been able to change for 2nd or 3rd.

Cheers :)

My car does seem to have good pace...shows how good the build quality was from the person I bought the car off. A couple times I was getting a better exit leading onto the straights and that helped a lot.

I keep the passenger seat in because this helps me meet the minimum weight for the series. The car has also been corner weighted as it is so I don't really want to change the balance really. Also I drive the car to the circuit and my girlfriend needs a seat! ha

Yes I'm going to lower the camera a bit next time.

It was a good race and 1 more lap and I might of been able to change for 2nd or 3rd.

Ah makes sense then. What is the minimum weight?

Lotus Elise
Good watch that, looks like an entertaining championship. The cars look really soft though can you stiffen them up?

Clio 182 Race Car
Good watch that, looks like an entertaining championship. The cars look really soft though can you stiffen them up?

Cheers! Yes we can adjust a few things on the suspension. I've had my car set up by a race team and we will be adjusting it throughout the year.

Clio 182 Race Car
K-Tec Racing Clio 182 Series Car Specification

Clio 182
K-Tec Championship Spec ECU (Level Playing Field of Power)
6 Point Roll Cage
K-Tec Championship Suspension
K-Tec Uprated Top Mounts
Standard Brake Discs
Uprated Race Pads
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Alloys
Dunlop Direzza DZ03G R1
Race Seat
Harnesses
Fire Extingusher
Race Steering Wheel

The aim by the 750MC is to keep a level playing field and to ensure the cars are relatively cheap to build.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Good read/watch mate

Some prize you won from pistonheads aswel!

You moving on to something else then if putting the Clio in the classifieds

Clio 182 Race Car
Good read/watch mate

Some prize you won from pistonheads aswel!

You moving on to something else then if putting the Clio in the classifieds

Cheers mate :) Yeah once in a lifetime opportunity with Caterham last year. Loved every second of it.

I've got something else planned but time will tell.