ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Project Blog

Re: Finally, a little update!

Before you all rush into saying silly things, some valuable information might be that i'm recovering from a broken elbow, 2 fractured wrists, a torn thigh muscle and a dislocated thumb.

So yes, work has taken a massive hit.

Chocolate Bar™

Before you all rush into saying silly things, some valuable information might be that i'm recovering from a broken elbow, 2 fractured wrists, a torn thigh muscle and a dislocated thumb.

So yes, work has taken a massive hit.

when we come to collect it, as long as dave is happy with the quality of the work i dont think there will be any complaints from us. especially as hes got used to me chauffeur driving his sweet ass around ;)

Where are you expecting peak power, rpm, with such a short inlet?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mini-valver

Velocity inlet set-up so peak power wil be around 6800-7 from what I can gather. It's been made to be torque orientated so I have no idea what the spread will be like...Ben?

Sadly not, he asked me to comment if anybody asked a question.

And the cropper is otherwise known as DH mtb'ing...............you should try it.

Rpm range is limited on the stock bottom end, so the entire engine is geared towards torque production. Cam is not that wild, valvetrain is stock, but we have incorporated ultra high velocity porting to shift the curve left and offset the short inlet. Simply aiming for peak power to be 6.8k with as much area under the curve as possible.

I'm not meant to be back yet.....still waiting for the chairwoman to appear.

ta, me too......not been able to hoof it downhill for a while at a decent rate.

Rpm range is limited on the stock bottom end, so the entire engine is geared towards torque production. Cam is not that wild, valvetrain is stock, but we have incorporated ultra high velocity porting to shift the curve left and offset the short inlet. Simply aiming for peak power to be 6.8k with as much area under the curve as possible.

Could the same theory be used on the F4R?

That is, short inlet with headwork to get the same peak power point as long inlet with no headwork.

M

mini-valver

Like Ben's said, the bottom end wont take a hard revving so I'll probably get a spare one and get some good qualiy internals in there with time.....

Hopefully make enough to be 'Useful' though ;)

Could the same theory be used on the F4R?

That is, short inlet with headwork to get the same peak power point as long inlet with no headwork.

Most certainly can.

I have entered into a whole new development program for the F4R. Its a good port as stock, as in it works well, but in terms of how close it is to an ideal port for the base geometry, its miles off.

The bad news is that the required work is massive.

However, its more of a stop gap or bandage to a problem as the longer inlet will still work better with the high velocity port on a low rpm engine.

VaVa

Hope you mend soon Ben and good to have a technical bod back in this section doing some proper engineering.

Various

Too many WIP threads on here, I'm jealous....
A few of you know my car has been at Angelworks for a while now but it's nearing completion so I thought I'd share sopme sneaky shots of the plenum set-up that's going on. This is a complete one-off and has been designed and made by Ben and his contacts.

K4M....
Inlet and injector set-up
GetAttachment7.jpg

Another veiw

GetAttachment6.jpg

Now, this is how it would have look had we had enough room ro use the Formula Renault plenum but the thermo housing is in the way so Ben's making an alloy one to get around it.
GetAttachment12.jpg

Spec when finished-
Custon inlet/plenum set-up
AWT headwork
Cat Cams
A/C removed
Prospeed cat-back with Superspring de-cat

Depending on how that runs I'll go aftermarket management with a bottom end build to run higher the RPM i need to make more power.
I could have gone 172 conversion but where's the fun in that?

I'll keep this updated as and when the car is back and I can fit the mountains of stuff I've got in my room!

It's great to see someone having a go at a different engine. This seems a very interesting project. Just because Omex is quite closely linked with GDI doesn't mean that I don't appreciate other peoples work. As we regularly develop inlet systems for individuals and manufacturers I know just how much work is involved. Well done for doing something different and best of luck with it, I look forward to seeing the results.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Cant disagree here, its good to see something different... the 1600 is not dealt with very much so good on mini valver for having a go.

i look forward to seeing the results....

GDI and OMEX singing your praises. ;)

Are there any plans for a single body custom inlet for the F4R?

The design is nothing bar a modification of the original F4R design, however the F4R implementation has not been pushed since we have been doing our ITB's.

The main issue on the F4R is the unknowns. As always, space is a real scare commodity, and although there is enough room to get an acceptable inlet tract length on 3 our of 4 cylinders, cylinder 1 causes a major problem. The aux setup and alt position, especially the alt support brace from the front of the block, means that to generate enough headroom for the plenum we have to shorten the tract substantially. We have no idea how this will affect the torque curve and area under the graph.

Changing the aux setup or alt position is also defeating the point of a bolt on manifold so we have not entertained that idea.

The timescales and investment into producing such a setup is also high, with many hours spend on CAD. Not only do we have to design the manifold, but we have to design the tooling to make the fixtures for machining, and for manufacturing the runners. With oval ports it is surprisingly hard to make small batch, high quality and dimentionally consistent parts from existing shelf stock material.

So in essence, the large time scales are down to not only design of the manifold, but the design of the manufacturing procedure which is more complex than the manifold itself.

M

mini-valver

Thanks for the comments so far folks. It's good that everyone understands the reasons behind it, lol.
Management is bothering me though....Do I take the plunge??

M

mini-valver

Another update...

The alternator brackets have all been machined from scracth as I'm ditching the aircon so heres some shots of it (Yeah, the block needs a clean and paint up)-
altbracket3.jpg

altbracket10.jpg

altbracket1.jpg

We were all set for a pre-Christmas completion but I've decided to go for aftermarket management as I've been offered a price I don't think I can refuse. That's all for now!

The alt system was a PITA as the OEM alt is not designed to be adjustable, its just meant to bolt on and an auto tensioner used.

M

mini-valver

VEMS. Mainly due to price and wideband control.....

VEMS. Mainly due to price and wideband control.....

fair do's mate, price difference between Omex and Vems is certainly noticable, just make sure you dont stuff it into a 3rd party or someone's getting the big dry one

M

mini-valver

It will all be fully insured and road legal. If the ECU was illegal on the road I doubt they'd sell it.

If it'll pass an MOT then there wont be any problems.

The quality of the machining and look of the brackets is spot on.

Attention to detail on all the parts I have seen so far is amazing!

Its a stark contrast between companies that can produce bespoke machined engine parts and companies who just bolt bits on. It certainly seperates the engine tuners from the garage mechanics.

I dont think Ben has released any pictures of his ITBs for the F4R yet but from what I have seen they are of a similar machined from billet quality piece of work.

The proof is in the power though so if gains can be achieved then I dont see any reason why people would want to bolt a set of Jenveys on to there clios ever again.

Now Ben has taken the steps towards making his business work I am sure there will be alot more exciting trick engine bits to look foward to.

Can I steal this when its finished? lol. Have to see this in the metal when its done! I love the idea of high output 1600's

Saxo VTS
This looks awesome.

Always love the idea of tuning 1.4 and 1.6 engines as opposed to going for the boring old 2.0 route.

Good on you lad, and looks like some top work there. Be good to see it when it's finished.

M

mini-valver

The quality of the machining and look of the brackets is spot on.

Attention to detail on all the parts I have seen so far is amazing!

Its a stark contrast between companies that can produce bespoke machined engine parts and companies who just bolt bits on. It certainly seperates the engine tuners from the garage mechanics.

I dont think Ben has released any pictures of his ITBs for the F4R yet but from what I have seen they are of a similar machined from billet quality piece of work.

The proof is in the power though so if gains can be achieved then I dont see any reason why people would want to bolt a set of Jenveys on to there clios ever again.

Now Ben has taken the steps towards making his business work I am sure there will be alot more exciting trick engine bits to look foward to.

Absolutely! The quality of work is amazing and the fact it's all designed and machined to custom specifiacations makes it even more impressive. I've ssen the DTH bodies he has and they make Jenvey look s**t to be frank! Hopefully see them bolted to your car soon ;)
For all the doubters though, this proves without doubt what Angelworks can do. Bolting something to a car takes a matter of hours, physically making and researching the part is a whole different ball game....

Can I steal this when its finished? lol. Have to see this in the metal when its done! I love the idea of high output 1600's

Lol, I'll be at meets all over the NW when its back fella so you're more than welcome to come and have a drive!

The VEMS is on it's way now, I've sourced a ph1 172 throttle body (Cheers Danlp6) and cable pedal (Djw John)! 172 injectors are going it too..... Let the good times roll :cool:

Absolutely! The quality of work is amazing and the fact it's all designed and machined to custom specifiacations makes it even more impressive. I've ssen the DTH bodies he has and they make Jenvey look s**t to be frank! Hopefully see them bolted to your car soon ;)
For all the doubters though, this proves without doubt what Angelworks can do. Bolting something to a car takes a matter of hours, physically making and researching the part is a whole different ball game....

here here, good call Dave. So sho designed and built these wonderful DTH bodies for the record?