ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Project Blog

M

mini-valver

Ohhhhhh yes. Started, ran, then cut out. Replaced a fuse that blew (randomnly), took the ECU plug off, clamped all the pins slightly, back on, removed coilpack plug, checked those connections but had no power there. Traced the wiring back to the ECU, pushed the connections into the ECU plug and then got power to the coil but wouldnt start. Locked and unlocked the car, started, lol. So there was about 5 or 6 different faults that started just from pulling up and turning it off. WEIRD.

M

mini-valver

Oh ahhhh! Lol...

th_Video0007.jpg

Exotica/MK1 Astra
Hudson you raging great tart! It'll be something easy, have you checked you've actually got fuel and a spark? you must be missing 1 of em.
Fuel pump running ok?
Power to the Coil?
Have you tried the GMH solution? I've not known something come out not running yet. I'm off all next week if you want me to have a look, but if i find a simple wire or somethng be prepared for abuse![/quote]

^^^^^^

M

mini-valver

I need to tidy all the loom back up again and fit some brakes before I drive it so for now, knowing it starts will do, lol. This weekend should be good to get it back on the road. Only issue I have is the release bearing is shagged so want to fit a new clutch before I start abusing it TBH. I have the clutch though so its on the list.... *sigh*

M

mini-valver

Hudson you raging great tart! It'll be something easy, have you checked you've actually got fuel and a spark? you must be missing 1 of em.
Fuel pump running ok?
Power to the Coil?
Have you tried the GMH solution? I've not known something come out not running yet. I'm off all next week if you want me to have a look, but if i find a simple wire or somethng be prepared for abuse![/quote]

^^^^^^

It wasn't that simple though Mr Turner! You know it, lol.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
thats some fast and furious shiznick with the laptop and all :D sounds lovely, what cams are on this again?

Exotica/MK1 Astra
Intermittant faults an be a pig to trace sometimes but you've just got to go through it methodically.
I'd be tempted to go through your harness routing and make sure it's all clipped properly and secured with no tension on the pins in the connectors or you'll be likely to have similar issues in the future from fatigue and stress on the pins. Seal the back of the connectors too.

M

mini-valver

I'm going to pull all the pins out of the block and redo them, you've seen the state of the crank trigger cables! I require a Turner when I do it. ;)

BE first, then bodies and 851's. The 851's are reccomended for solid lifters but I'm gonna up the valve spring lbage and see what happens. Wont be revving over 7800-8000 anyway TBH so should be fine on the hydro's.

M

mini-valver

Pistons and the headwork etc thats already on the car, I'd be dissapointed with less. It made 140 on Pauls RR with these relatively mild cams, standard CR and a plenum! The plenum is posh though.....

M

mini-valver

Bless, lol! I made her wash and QD it after while I got changed for work, Ave it.

M

mini-valver

Lack of pictures but I've Just finished re-soldering all the ECU wiring, re-fitting my standard calipers (Not fitting the Brembo's until I do the clutch on saturday, dont wanna scratch um :eek:) and making the car driveable as I need to get to Congleton at 2 tommorrow. Went for a quick spin and apart from a sticking caliper, its all good!

The clutch release bearing is either absolutley bollocksed or the pressure plate is loose on the flywheel. When the car has been driven and is up to temp, on idle theres a dirty rattle/knock coming from the box area, clutch down and it goes away. Either way, have a new clutch kit so get that fitted on saturday and go from there.

Mounts and driveshafts are next to be bought.

M

mini-valver

Yeah, only used about 200mm, lol. Was a nightmare though, because the cables are only short, the f**king heatshrink was shrinking from the heat of the soldering iron!

M

mini-valver

Been away all week testing so had no internet to add an update. Ill write it up later, would have had plenty of pictures but i lost my phone with everything on so theres no step by step stuff :(

M

mini-valver

Well, I was getting a nasty knocking noise when the car was idling which went away when I pressed the clutch. At first I put it down to the release bearing but the knock was pretty brutal so I wanted to get the box off and have a look, even if to just replace the clutch and bearing.

I had pictures of everything but lost my phone so dont have any of changing the box but I sourced a JB1 through Joshydee at Cliopares as I needed it fast I thought I'd see how long it lasts. Massive thanks to Josh though, really helpful and it came before 12 the next day!

While the box was out, I thought I might aswell replace the driveshafts (They were knackered anyway) and all the bushes. So ordered some Powerflex wishbone and anti-roll bar bushes from Kam racing who were MILES cheaper than anywhere else and even let me change the order after I realised I'd fucked up :eek:. So went to a mates garage to use the welder and press and got them fitted and painted the wishbones yellow and ARB black seeing as they were off!

With it all back together it looked like this... (The cable tie has been changed now, the joint felt really stiff so I took the CV clip off to check it had been greased from the factory. Used the tie to make sure it stayed in place when fitting)
LGIM0007.jpg

Got the pads in the calipers and got them ready to go on. Then, put the spacer on the hub and hit a problem. I had the spacers machined down 3mm to 12mm overall and didnt take into account the spacer had a lip on the inside to fit fluch with the hub. Thats what happens when you rush :( Anyway, got the bench grinder out and got creative :cool:
LGIM0016.jpg

Hub off and tooled up, lol...
LGIM0006.jpg

LGIM0013.jpg

With that sorted, fitted the disc and caliper....
LGIM0022.jpg

Plenty of space now, happy days...
LGIM0024.jpg

I knew Id have a problem with the lines but it turned out to be pretty close, they fit the calipers fine but are too short on full lock so Ill move the bracket on the inner wing forward about 2" and it'll be fine. For now, Ive just sleeved the line with some hose to stop it rubbing on the inside of the bracket until I get a spare bit of time to sort it. Probably later today when I re-bleed them.

Its worth noting that I had to grind nearly 3mm off the pads for them to fit too, LOL! Ghetto motor factor pads FTL.

Looks pretty pimp though.... (Excuse the kerbing, ran out of talent)
LGIM0025.jpg

Got a new fuse box from renaulty too and fitted that, looks so much tidier even with everything else just draped everywhere temp.

LGIM0009.jpg