ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

k4m turbo project

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
hi, I have a 2001 megane 4 door 1.6 16v k4m
. I have started a k4m turbo project this year february and have been using the set up until now.

the internal was stock
2 original gaskets + 1 1mm steel gasket the compression ratio: 8.5
IHI (t2 size) turbo
8lt intercooler
60mmcustom intercooler and turbo pipes
60mm exhaust
sierra cosworth 440cc injectors
aem fuel regulator
greedy e manage blue box

the first dyno output was @.7 bar 176 hp and 198 nm without the greedy map
after the map and @.9 bar with front end 60mm back end 51mm exhaust 201 hp 275 nm
after 60mm exhaust completely, @.9 bar 215 hp 309nm

last week my stock rods were bent, this week I have found new stronger rods, changed the piston rings etc made a new engine. I will post the pictures and videos soon. you can serach from youtube "ankara megane turbo" I have some videos with 175hp against a clio rs mk1 with intake exhaust and 15/61 differential

so far I have passed 250 hp wrx sti, cai s2000, cai headers 60mm exhaust type r.
after the engine is finshed new videos will come:)

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
write megane turbo ankara in youtube
there are videos against 205 hp rs, 175 hp rs and 175 hp vtec

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
I am a student and I was dreaming it for years....hope the new engine works well...

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
on wednesday the new engine will be finished, how should I drive with the new engine?

M

mini-valver

Awesome! What rods and pistons are you using? Have you used cable throttle? What exhaust manifold??

Tope work fella, impressive! Gotta love the K4M ;)

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
the pistons are stock, and when I took them out last week they were in excellent condition, which shows us that it can bear 300hps...
but my main problem is the rods.
last week after I realized that my car was not going as it should be, and after a sound like diesel engine, we took apart the block. one rod was everaly bent and the other 2 rods were bent in mm s.
any way I found an older renault rod at the same stroke and lenght and I changed my all 4 rods to this one. besides I realized that I can fit in rs pistons and rods too, in the future I will use forged rods and pistons and change the crank and block to rs and turbo it may be..
currently there are no dmages to the crank or anything...
the exhust manifold is stock, and when I am sure that my new rods can handle more power I will make a custom manifold...

M

mini-valver

the pistons are stock, and when I took them out last week they were in excellent condition, which shows us that it can bear 300hps...
last week after I realized that my car was not going as it should be, and after a sound like diesel engine, we took apart the block. one rod was everaly bent and the other 2 rods were bent in mm s.
any way I found an older renault rod at the same stroke and lenght and I changed my all 4 rods to this one. besides I realized that I can fit in rs pistons and rods too, in the future I will use forged rods and pistons and change the crank and block to rs and turbo it may be..
the exhust manifold is stock, and when I am sure that my new rods can handle more power I will make a custom manifold...

Ah right, fair play! What have you been setting the rev limiter at? Im currently at 7250 and I've had no problems after driving it pretty hard the last couple of days, time will tell I suppose!

Are you using standard cams?

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1

Ah right, fair play! What have you been setting the rev limiter at? Im currently at 7250 and I've had no problems after driving it pretty hard the last couple of days, time will tell I suppose!

Are you using standard cams?

His car is running on std cams and goes surprisingly well :)

ClioRS from Mdfym

Evo 6, E92 320d
I think he is asking is the standard radiator ok at cooling.

Well done though sound like a good engine.

Shows what the k4m can take, do you think it would have lasted longer on std internals at .7 bar (175hp)?

izo

megane 1.6 turbo

yes we dont have so much heating problem, I have a huge opening in the hood.

Shows what the k4m can take, do you think it would have lasted longer on std internals at .7 bar (175hp)?
yes I would think so also the roads bent mostly due to the over rich afr, broken down spark plugs (they were also standart now I have bought ngk cool spark plugs) too much cut offs at max limiter, and a final cut off at 180 after a tiring race....
in summary I think k4m is not a worse engine than hondas in terms of applying a turbo...our efficiency is much better than hondas...

M

mini-valver

The K4M is actually a good engine in terms of tuneability, theres just naff all out there off the shelf! Top marks for trying something different! Will look forward to pics when its built!

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
we are using 20/50 oil for the first 500 km...
I had several problems in running the car, we have inserted the greedy map sensor instead of the original one and we had problems with it. but we have solved the problem, we arranged the fule pressure fromn the regulator and I have started riding...temperature, noise, air fuel ratio seems fine until 3000rpm..I have 450 km to go:)

Clio 1.6 K4M
hi,
i have a clio with that engine and it's going turbo too. but same problem as you with the conrods. are you using the renault 19 ones? i've heard that they fit with out probles.
best luck with your proyect, :cool:

Alejandro (Bean)

P.D: i know i'm new here, i will do a presentation post soon ;)

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
hi,
i have a clio with that engine and it's going turbo too. but same problem as you with the conrods. are you using the renault 19 ones? i've heard that they fit with out probles.
best luck with your proyect, :cool:

Alejandro (Bean)

P.D: i know i'm new here, i will do a presentation post soon ;)
should be the 19 ones....you can ask me anything abut the problems you may face...

izo

megane 1.6 turbo
ok, I couldnt find time to write for long time sorry...everything seems fine we have changed the shoe to a bronzoe one ( a custom clutch set)...
I am now running at 15 psi and after a good map, I will post the dyno figures...
here is a small photo of my ride...