ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo Sport DCI 85 / Daily Day Van

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't going to bother with a thread on this, however it’s a slow Sunday and I thought why not.

I’ve not taken many pictures of my own as of yet, as any time I’ve worked on it its ended up dark.

Fancied a daily diesel and sold my Laguna so the search for a wee van was on. After seeing a few dogs local that needed too much work I found this on Facebook marketplace in Leeds. Knowing it would probably need a bit of work as it was fairly cheap and higher miles I took the trip down last Sunday and picked it up.

The van made it home with a few issues, had to add oil at a service station and it seemed a bit choked up coming up the road, although that might be the fact I’m used to Renaults with a tad more power.

Some pictures from the advert:

49AE8FB7-6A3A-40D8-BCD7-EFB8EA4C9371.jpeg

92296CCE-7C2F-41C1-A59A-020335A8810C.jpeg

2664E884-B72F-4717-9DEC-F7E42BE1BCF9.jpeg

Now it’s home I’ve ripped all the shelves out the rear, pulled the flooring up and laid foam tiles.

9CFDD66F-1EDB-43FF-95B0-92D70D9EDF46.jpeg

The van was stinking of turps so I’ve since cleaned out the front and set off a McGuire’s smoke bomb so it’s now smelling fresh. Although I’ve not taken any pictures inside, I’ve added new mats and wipers to it.
Ordered a whole host of parts, pretty much every serviceable item and pads from RTR parts.

Also ordered some H&R springs for it and after a message to Briggsy on here shall hopefully have some mk1 Gaz rear coilovers and modus springs on it too.

I’m planning to insulate and carpet the rear and have a removable slide out bed in the back for a few trips I have on this year.

Already pulled the roof bars off it and a few other odds and ends like bulbs etc have been changed, just a general tidy up.

The van itself is a Dci85 and will be staying that way.. maybe a remap down the line but no immediate plans to do so.
I’ve got some Clio 197 seats that will need a bit of adaption to get in. Although I’ve had a look with my mate and shouldn’t take too much to get them to fit.

It’s been a welcomed departure getting decent mpg driving this around instead of the 30mpg Laguna!

It does have a start up issue where if left overnight or a day or so it will either be really hard to start or not at all without some easy start, hoping the serviceables will cure this if not al need to do some digging.

8F016557-2AFD-4179-A34E-1A35600A2A5C.jpeg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Looks tidy (y) Bad starting might be an airleak on a diesel pipe, i believe the hand primer fails.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@Mcaff Looking forward to seeing this come together. These are awesome vans. Look after them and they will look after you, mine is on 180k and the only thing that's gone wrong was it needed a new intercooler (this is due to the OEM shroud rubbing against it...look out for that and save yourself some money) and the alt needed a refurb.

What suspension are you putting on this, I got a little confused if you got H&R but also putting Modus springs on?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
@Mcaff Looking forward to seeing this come together. These are awesome vans. Look after them and they will look after you, mine is on 180k and the only thing that's gone wrong was it needed a new intercooler (this is due to the OEM shroud rubbing against it...look out for that and save yourself some money) and the alt needed a refurb.

What suspension are you putting on this, I got a little confused if you got H&R but also putting Modus springs on?

Thanks for the heads up will keep an eye out, these are a far departure from what I’m used to so I’m learning with everything I read! This is about to tick over 160k so I’m about to throw a lot of parts at it for peace of mind.
As per what @Brigsy is running on his kangoo racevan, it’s kangoo H&R springs up front, I will use them on standard shocks think they are -30/40mm

On the rear is a mk1 clio 16v Gaz adjustable dampened shock, with a modus rear spring. Should drop it a bit better than the H&R springs.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Where are you getting the H&R springs from, I could only find a full set not the fronts on their own? I'm guessing the Modus rear springs are shorter than the H&R rear springs?

I'm about to refresh my suspension and may as well replace with quality or decent parts.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Where are you getting the H&R springs from, I could only find a full set not the fronts on their own? I'm guessing the Modus rear springs are shorter than the H&R rear springs?

I'm about to refresh my suspension and may as well replace with quality or decent parts.
I bought a full set on eBay, that seemed the cheapest place to get them. I think they where £150 but I think they still have import tax to be billed at customs.

From reading brigsys thread modus springs off the top of my head are 25mm shorter, but you need the shorter shocks of they will fall out.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo

Ill have my H&R springs up for sale soon if your interested

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to report, service parts have come in. I’ve fired the new fuel filter in and it’s helped slightly with the starting issue but not cured it. Trying to get a genuine fuel primer and line but getting in contact with RPD hasn’t been easy for a price.

Have also put my plate on:
A66A39AB-E62F-4594-9492-B2CACD458C39.jpeg

H&R springs have been delivered:
913D981D-C248-4470-B67C-CE8D0070D5A9.jpeg

Not had a huge amount of time to work on it yet but it’s been good to scoot about in.
Belts getting done mid feb but will try and fire the springs on before then… gotta look cool before doing maintenance right?
Also ordered front discs from AUTODOC as I noticed the insides of the discs where knackered!

Kangoo MK2
Not much to report, service parts have come in. I’ve fired the new fuel filter in and it’s helped slightly with the starting issue but not cured it. Trying to get a genuine fuel primer and line but getting in contact with RPD hasn’t been easy for a price.

Have also put my plate on:
View attachment 1578329

H&R springs have been delivered:
View attachment 1578330

Not had a huge amount of time to work on it yet but it’s been good to scoot about in.
Belts getting done mid feb but will try and fire the springs on before then… gotta look cool before doing maintenance right?
Also ordered front discs from AUTODOC as I noticed the insides of the discs where knackered!
I guess you got these of eBay? How much import duty did you have to pay? I looked at them saw they were from Germany but it said about import tax, and other fees

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I guess you got these of eBay? How much import duty did you have to pay? I looked at them saw they were from Germany but it said about import tax, and other fees
It was another £38 for import tax and delivery, still worked out cheaper than the other sellers selling at over £200. Also arrived in 2 days!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Van is now marginally lower than it was, changed the springs over yesterday.
Didn’t take any before pictures side on as the weather was pretty horrendous and we where sheltering half in a lock up while doing them.
C2C22939-57DC-4E4F-AB03-73DE3E626B98.jpeg

After although it has settled somewhat this was just off the jacks:

FFF8D1C2-A4F2-4E90-B6C5-D14F1EFD46EA.jpeg

And a couple today after I took it for it’s first wash!

86C7138D-7450-468B-80BF-432400B2DE11.jpeg

17CDA93B-606C-480A-98E9-51044A1D148F.jpeg

Changed a couple of droplinks at the same time and it really does now drive much more like a clio on springs rather than a van on worn out suspension.
Ride height the back needs to come down a bit more hopefully sorted by the altered setup from brigsy, this is it just now on the -40mm H&Rs all round. I would really love to get a coilover on the front but it just wouldn’t be cost effective to get that set up.

I’ve been torturing myself now looking at spacers or other wheels, would like some 18s maybe Megane 225 wheels or something but I’m not sure how they would look. I quite like the look of the Laguna wheels but in person I feel they look a tad small.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Should settle in nicely. I had 225 ph1 wheels on mine ages ago looked OK but not amazing. I always fancied trying 17" clio cup racer speedlines on mine, i think the laguna has a similar design wheel.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
looks nice being a bit lower, i fancied lowering mine but it will end up with me wanting wheels, tyres, even lower, more power the list goes on. Plus the standard ride quality is awesome on the 15s with chunky tyres haha!

mine sits mega high and is under wheeled though!
IMG_20200729_185400.jpg

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
@Brigsy those where the wheels I’d been looking at but 17s just feel a little small. Just trying to fill the arches a bit more like a Stancey boi!

@Martin_172 love that … although reminds me of the stance of the Megane on here years ago with the clio 182 wheels 😂

@VenomUK ah yes glad you posted that! Love the wheels I’m just thinking for me the look a bit lost for what I’m going for!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Been doing some eBaying to carpet and somewhat insulate the back. Just going to fire a list of stuff I’ve bought in here more for my own records!
Also bought myself some 197/200 handles for the front doors and a Megane 225 wheel.

Not really been doing this on a budget or anything just kind of firing money at it, but I don’t think I need too much more. I’ve got some rigid board insulation as well from doing my kitchen ceiling that I will use in the gaps.

So far I’m at about £1100 on top of the van. That includes the springs, belt kit and every serviceable item, glow plugs, discs and pads etc. plus a load of other bits I’ve bought for tidying it up not listed below.

I’m close to finished spending I recon at most another £3/400 and al be mostly happy!

3F1EA2B5-9D00-49E4-8F69-F439283EC6F2.png
706806F8-8E57-4245-8FA4-96E8A30E7103.png
E0F574C6-C7B5-44AF-B140-7DBE3B3A8D27.png
FD4EBA7D-33D3-463F-8B46-A4116B1B3C57.jpeg

Kangoo MK2
Been doing some eBaying to carpet and somewhat insulate the back. Just going to fire a list of stuff I’ve bought in here more for my own records!
Also bought myself some 197/200 handles for the front doors and a Megane 225 wheel.

Not really been doing this on a budget or anything just kind of firing money at it, but I don’t think I need too much more. I’ve got some rigid board insulation as well from doing my kitchen ceiling that I will use in the gaps.

So far I’m at about £1100 on top of the van. That includes the springs, belt kit and every serviceable item, glow plugs, discs and pads etc. plus a load of other bits I’ve bought for tidying it up not listed below.

I’m close to finished spending I recon at most another £3/400 and al be mostly happy!

View attachment 1579652View attachment 1579653View attachment 1579654View attachment 1579655
So do the 197/200 door handle straight fit I guess ?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
So do the 197/200 door handle straight fit I guess ?
6C5EE4AF-88A4-4FAB-8E87-950540D55DBE.jpeg

Yes they are identical fitment dead easy to swap over.

Should have said, I've got a 197 wheel I'd have sold. They're far better than a Mégane 225 wheel😂

I’d have had it off you! To be fair I’m trying not to load this with renault sport badges and look full nonce with it 😂

although:

image.jpg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@Mcaff I was thinking the external handles. I’ve wanted to change the external for a while now to get rid of the textured. But from what I can see on eBay the external handles may differ but it is something I plan on looking into further

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
@Mcaff I was thinking the external handles. I’ve wanted to change the external for a while now to get rid of the textured. But from what I can see on eBay the external handles may differ but it is something I plan on looking into further
Ah yes I’d been looking at that. I wasn’t entirely sure myself. Was chatting with my mate last night about getting this blown over with some fresh red paint. Would be ideal to fire on some smooth handles too!

@Mcaff I've still got quite a few 197 parts, if you need anything drop me a message. It'll save you paying stupid prices from some other plank😂
Good man! Al have a think I’m not sure what I need now it’s mostly just the crap to turn it into a day van.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
While I’m still waiting for insulation to come I set about carpeting the panels.
Fairly easy to do, quite messy.. thankfully I’m in the middle of having the kitchen renovated so wasn’t too much bother to have glue on the floor. But I would advise if you are doing it to cover the floor! Not the sticky mess I’m used too!
Came out alright al temporarily put them back in the van tomorrow.

My floor insulation is here so I might crack on with that.
0DDBA6F6-2F75-4D19-B57F-F2F0512EE6F5.jpeg
8E9BB6F4-9EA8-4219-9115-41D541CF2E3B.jpeg
D430D6A2-94FC-4C18-9E44-57F4BDE3BE93.jpeg
A27DEBB7-5BFE-4CA2-862D-45576E202E61.jpeg
F6FCBE54-0BDE-442D-94FE-D5F3B2624FFE.jpeg

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Had intended to insulate the floor today, as with all things cars it didn’t pan out that way. Under the plywood floor it was a right mess. The joys of doing this to a builders van, sawdust, spilled paint and glue all had to be removed from the floor.
48E4B5F7-E0B1-4D79-A906-CFA78478925F.jpeg
98149710-238E-4046-B50A-B7D406C42534.jpeg
FA455772-B60A-4860-82B2-4C9984532864.jpeg
B9E46EF4-FB91-4BA0-ABB6-CE568C83200A.jpeg

Under my foam tiles was a sheet of plywood that got horsed out, was completely saturated with what I can only imagine is turps. Totally stinking.
Added a rechargeable led light for those dark evenings where I might need my tools or whatever.
A5E4A25C-97F3-4D8A-AF5C-61C2CD1721BC.jpeg

Had forgotten about these 2 panels on the sliding door so carpeted these while the back of the van drys out over night.
B6032328-488E-4B4B-BD5E-E751123CFF4E.jpeg
80932F1E-0F50-4931-BCCB-3C0D69AF6831.jpeg

I’ve managed to get myself a new rear plastic for the threshold at the doors as the old one was past its best.

Should be able to crack on tomorrow with the insulation at least on the floor.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Loving this build looking good. What colour stretch carpet did you use ?
Thanks mate! Anthracite and I bought from here:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Cracked on a bit more today. Quite tedious doing the sound deadening. The foam stuff is ok to work with, ended up using what off cuts I had to wrap round the wheel wells. Not pretty but it will all be covered!
Might do a bit more after lunch but I’m still waiting on my foil insulation coming so that’s holding me up now. Usual Hermes delivery issues.
85B38C9A-0113-424F-AE45-01D2C8338176.jpeg
0538C79C-24A5-4D06-B2FF-4BAF2C53F63F.jpeg
0F92CE60-3C3E-4CC3-A717-8FA76BB444B0.jpeg
FE31CCDC-D661-4B3A-A50F-B8EB791A735D.jpeg

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Fired some leftover 50mm kingspan insulation I had in the gaps. So I can get an idea of things and to hold the sides together I’ve put one of the carpeted sides in and my flooring back down, it will protect the floor as I need the van tomorrow.
If I get the chance tomorrow it should all start coming together. Ideally need to take the bulkhead out now to crack on with the interior carpeting. Been trying to hold off taking it out as long as possible as it makes a great difference to keeping the heat in the cab.
Taking shape though!
F44AEB2C-AFC9-45E2-8B2D-648F0E13C9CF.jpeg

72B07205-E0F9-44A8-A6FC-8B20D186BEFC.jpeg

Kangoo MK2