ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo Sport DCI 85 / Daily Day Van

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
So do the 197/200 door handle straight fit I guess ?
IMG_20191029_114302.jpg

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Got the bulkhead out over the weekend and cracked on with the insulation that finally came yesterday. Still to do the floor and some odd bits but it’s coming together.
My mate came round and wired in a switch panel just straight off the 12v so I could have some LEDs and some power if I wish to charge anything while on the move.
Also added some 50mm and 25mm board insulation in behind the panels. Not been too picture heavy as we have just been cracking on.
Fired in the carpeted panels temporarily to see what parts of walls I’m going to have to carpet, also gets the panels out the house for a bit. But it’s coming together. Should be mostly there by next week if I get some time to crack on with it. Still need to get some plywood for the floor and ceiling, been trying to be resourceful and get some cheap as prices for timber are through the roof at the minute!
ACD34C1D-1563-40DA-BB29-059BC6B0F5F9.jpeg
DD7730BB-9FFF-40B7-8530-5F7D8A185BBF.jpeg
4DFD0A61-9D41-407B-BF6E-FF30623C6D51.jpeg
548E18F4-6590-4D2A-90BC-D33CDE742003.jpeg
6695654D-FA17-4370-96C3-891F75314D46.jpeg
B3EF1325-E924-41AE-9649-1F4B7AD0F442.jpeg
378C86A2-8C7E-4D1B-868B-78C45045216A.jpeg

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@Mcaff Could you take some photos of the bulkhead screw locations please and some of your overhead storage in the front when you get the chance please? I've wanted to add the overhead for some time now and I've added a bulkhead but I never fixed it at the sides whereas you have and can't see if it's just screwed into the metal or actual fixings?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
@Mcaff Could you take some photos of the bulkhead screw locations please and some of your overhead storage in the front when you get the chance please? I've wanted to add the overhead for some time now and I've added a bulkhead but I never fixed it at the sides whereas you have and can't see if it's just screwed into the metal or actual fixings?
Not exactly sure what part you are wanting pictures of? I might be being a bit dense 😂 just the sides where the bulkhead attaches?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry read it again it makes more sense to me now. Yeah no problem if I get the chance I will have a look tomorrow. Mine has a mixture of bolts and nuts also a couple of fixings in the top. Will get a few pictures tomorrow

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Not much of an update, taking a break this week from working on it to gather some materials. Might do some little odds and ends nothing major though.
New wheel in from Megane 225.
68F8D56D-E676-49B5-B314-06AB84B6BA12.jpeg

And got a cheap fitting for the t10 bulb and a bit of strip light so it comes on with the doors. Just handy having a nice bright light coming in at night.
I’ve tidied it up a bit since taking the picture but will do something a bit more permanent as we go on hide the wires etc. this was just to test it would work.
E573704B-BB01-4972-8202-AC6A419E9CF4.jpeg

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Not a great deal to report, got a couple hours today to carpet some more of the rear. Cut 6mm ply for the roof and made a lightweight frame to support it.

Need to carpet the rear opening at the doors before I do the back half of the ceiling.

25EE8614-2FCD-4739-8668-72A58742185E.jpeg
A2389709-C7A8-474F-BD57-29FE4D382A70.jpeg

lots of other bits and bobs have been delivered the rear curtain for the bulkhead, but that will go in towards the end.
Also managed to bag myself a full sheet of phenolic plywood that I can make my bed out of for £20 on fb marketplace! Chuffed to bits as they are about £145 from suppliers at the moment!

I’ve been in contact with Gaz to see if they will make me some custom coilovers for the front. As I’d like to “slam” or more likely just lower it evenly. I think I can get away with a different spring and shorter shock in the rear so no need for an all out coilover.

I hope to get some more time tomorrow and over the weekend on it.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
You got a link to the curtain ya gonnna use on the bulkhead ? Been looking for one for mine

It’s going to be a “make it fit” situation but it seems very good quality!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Been trying to do a million and 1 little jobs done on the kangoo and I seem to get one thing done and another one pops up while I’m doing it! The fun of motoring.

changed the fluids on it that solved the really notchy gear change.
16E5E43B-73D8-4289-A2C6-3774668EF5B7.jpeg

Although in having it on the ramp noticed a pretty horrendous oil leak from the turbo and down on the seal where the shaft comes out the box. So will have to sort that.

Also been having an intermittent stop and battery light come on when hitting a bump or being on the brakes. Found the neg terminal on the alternator had been poorly put together and siliconed in. Set about trying to fix it but everything just crumbled in my hands so had to just quickly tape it up and I’m on the hunt for a plug. I’ve got an in line voltage meter on my switch panel so I can see it’s still charging so it’s not all that bad.

DF86B3C9-69BB-45DA-AC46-BE894E71F0F3.jpeg

On looking at the alternator I noticed the belt had a big chunk out of it and was frayed, didn’t take a picture but was concerning enough that I set about changing it. Thankfully had a belt kit for it waiting to go on.
Space is at a premium and I only really have very basic tooling so was less than ideal, ended up having to drop the engine off the mount to get access to the tensioner.
9BFAEFCD-343C-4518-A2BA-8F25FC8D09A9.jpeg
60E25517-62A0-4021-B476-5B3606C77A69.jpeg
6B94C5A7-2046-42D3-8B9F-663A770B2A12.jpeg

Being red, old and previously sign written, the paint was dry and faded, worst places are bonnet and roof so had a quick going over by hand on the bonnet to see how easily it might come back.
50/50 on the bonnet after SRP, AF triplle and ultra glaze:
7A9B4634-5568-4277-A61C-19068B67950A.jpeg
A0014C59-FE99-4E4E-BCC3-8B649FD812C0.jpeg

Not too bad!
AD6CFB2F-BCD6-4B69-BCDF-6BE7D42C411D.jpeg

I still think I will book it in with my friend that done my clio as he will be able to make the most of what is there, way above my pay grade and patience grade!

Got these on route from brigsy, hopefully bring the rear down a bit:
806CDCF4-039B-42E7-8567-59366592F7AB.jpeg

Have also got a set of non sport mk3 front
coilovers here I’m going to mock up having the bottoms adjusted for my hubs.
3ABEE5BB-6063-4232-83B8-1F540180B91A.jpeg

Got a spare hub/knuckle on the way to me too that i can use to mock things up off the car too, once that gets here I will set about figuring out brackets for it.

Also have some 20mm hubcentric spacers on the way too to square up how it sits, lots of bits to do but it’s coming together!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
@Mcaff What are the non sport coilovers off of, Megane?
Mk3 non sport clio, top mounts line up and the shock is marginally shorter than stock.
So going to have to have the lower where it meets the knuckle adapted. I will post up in depth about it if it all comes together. Spare Hub/knuckle came in the post today so I will get to mocking something up as soon as I can.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Cracked on this evening and done the majority of the shitey bits of carpeting I was putting off.

Pictures are terrible as it was dark by the time I’d finished. I’m sure there will be plenty more to come as it comes together.
9098B1E8-CEAB-424F-89FD-A7BBFA992C7F.jpeg
92F6F82E-FFBF-4DB7-8FF7-80EA9CE40D76.jpeg
956C9E46-122D-4317-BA1A-A20AA5833AF8.jpeg
7B6CDF8B-7DA0-4D6E-A115-A4E6531358B4.jpeg

Next up is doing the floor and making a fold down bed. Need to grab a bit of ply for the floor but I’ve been holding out to see if I can blag a piece from somewhere as prices are horrific for timber.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted a new battery and alternator on Friday after my alternator gave up the ghost. such a tight squeeze to get the old one out was cursing it so didn’t take any pictures.

At about 2am last night after putting an engine back into my mates cooper S, we decided to fit the rear Gaz shocks and modus springs to this, again was swearing trying to get the shock bolts out so only picture I have is it on the ground. Looks and handles much better than it was.

I might still try a 197 standard spring to bring it down a little when I get some modified front coilovers on.

I also bought 20mm hubcentric spacers from a 197/Megane, the rears however won’t fit so will have to see if I can do a stub axle spacer. Also need some m12 x 1.5 extended nuts for the front as the Megane ones are m14.
145A0174-B979-4F82-AF0E-7C52AFBB0142.jpeg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Looks spot on. I should have advised you that the top rear shock bolts corrode into the tube. Mine were a b*****d initially, i just worked them forward and backwards with the impact gun to break the corrosion.

Ive used pms megane 225 10mm spacers on mine before i got the lower et wheels. Megane 250 bolts or generic bolts off ebay will work, or of your feeling posh 12mm stud and nut kit to suit.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Looks spot on. I should have advised you that the top rear shock bolts corrode into the tube. Mine were a b*****d initially, i just worked them forward and backwards with the impact gun to break the corrosion.

Ive used pms megane 225 10mm spacers on mine before i got the lower et wheels. Megane 250 bolts or generic bolts off ebay will work, or of your feeling posh 12mm stud and nut kit to suit.
Honestly just about melted the nut off the drivers side taking the heat to it!

Even the lowers where horrible and we had had those off for the springs a month or so ago. Ended up firing copper grease on the remaining threads to help them slip off, I think I will need to replace the top nuts as they where a tad suspect looking going back on, but will do for now.

I will go the generic route I think! Would like to sort some stub axel spacers on at the same time.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Fired in the 197 seats today/night.

Fair bit of f**king about to get them in but they are in that’s for sure.

used the kangoo seat rails and some 5mm flat bar.

ground the spacers off the bottom of the kangoo rails in order to sit them a bit lower, going to do the passenger side too as that sits a bit high.

Started with the passenger side and thankfully just flipped the mounts and they worked for drivers side too, so made them up and bolted in.

9D4CB23F-AFB4-4E80-980E-F30CB8DB4B14.jpeg

87C6C7DB-A171-4A60-AE38-81A342E2D711.jpeg

EFBA3B75-6494-45D7-A08B-58C45730163F.jpeg

305EEE64-02EC-404A-A3CD-00D7CFE3B21A.jpeg

They certainly look like a huge improvement, my backs aching so not a fair comparison driving home. Bolsters on the drivers seat must have been sat in by a petite lady as they are as new, so my frame I’m a bit snug, but I’m sure al be able to wear them in.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Steel flat bar I'm assuming? Glad you posted this as my seats have been sitting in the shed for a year now as I couldn't figure out how to attach the seatbelt to the seat :LOL: I need to get and do mine now I've seen these and how it's done...

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Steel flat bar I'm assuming? Glad you posted this as my seats have been sitting in the shed for a year now as I couldn't figure out how to attach the seatbelt to the seat :LOL: I need to get and do mine now I've seen these and how it's done...
Yeah steel flat bar.
Seat belt bolts on to seat base, you need to trim a little bit of plastic off the inside of the side trim.
Also you’ll have to trim a bit of the rubber carpet next to the seatbelt to allow the seats to move back and forward freely, but it’s covered by the seats.
If you want to sit low I’d definitely suggest cutting the blocks off the bottom of the rails, I’m looking at any ways I could possibly make them sit even lower but I don’t see many options at the minute. I might swap to a different seat in the future if I don’t get on with these, as the base just sits far too high. Although it is about stock position on the drivers side now.
You will also be best using the kangoo seatbelt buckle.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Perhaps I was being daft the last time I looked but couldn't figure out how to get the rail off the base but that was last summer I last looked at it. I don't mind the driving height but a little lower would be nice except I think I will struggle as I have the bulk head in and the current seats are right up against them, sitting lower should in theory mean your feet are closer to the pedals if you get what I mean? I will just get the seats out over the weekend and have a good look at them.

Why did you opt for 5mm steel? The only reason for asking is with some bases and harness attachments they use 3mm steel, each mm saved means sitting lower in the car ;)

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Perhaps I was being daft the last time I looked but couldn't figure out how to get the rail off the base but that was last summer I last looked at it. I don't mind the driving height but a little lower would be nice except I think I will struggle as I have the bulk head in and the current seats are right up against them, sitting lower should in theory mean your feet are closer to the pedals if you get what I mean? I will just get the seats out over the weekend and have a good look at them.

Why did you opt for 5mm steel? The only reason for asking is with some bases and harness attachments they use 3mm steel, each mm saved means sitting lower in the car ;)
Both are dead easy to separate from the bases, mix of 13mm and 17mm nuts im sure 6 of them.

The short answer is the steel was free 😂 but 2mm is a thick bawhair really!

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The short answer is the steel was free 😂 but 2mm is a thick bawhair really!
Always helps, just scouting around the shopfloor for something suitable myself :LOL: I'm used to working with .20mm so 2mm is massive :LOL:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Set about a few jobs today, as with most things one step forward 2 steps back 😂

Brake discs and pads up front, some brembo from AUTODOC and pagid pads from RTR.

1C6AB844-7E72-48F5-83A5-9A599E09E7E9.jpeg

F748D4A3-B593-4663-9502-90E3B70B079F.jpeg

Thankfully was fairly straight forward as brakes go, nothing nasty and everything came off as it should!
Fired on a 20mm spacer at the front, as you can see it brings the wheel out 20mm as you can imagine! But it does feel quite nice going down the road with the extra width.. need to sort a stub axel one for the rear now!
Before:
BF18B1C4-17B7-46D3-BCC5-EF4F85CC398E.jpeg

After:
A2FE77AB-F497-4520-A508-8F0FEB50B23E.jpeg

Took some daylight shots of the interior, needs a good clean it’s been used daily as a proper work horse so it’s a bit manky inside. Will clean it during the week as I’m taking it down to Silverstone at the tail end of the week.
8D210133-FA7D-4F79-9E50-1D200BB8522D.jpeg

B3C3CC63-51FE-4B8D-B423-978E6ACE1545.jpeg

DC8BA52F-6D70-433E-94A1-643386E54E42.jpeg

AF56C27C-34E0-4116-BB60-581473F1D573.jpeg

I took the EGR valve off to clean and it disintegrated in my hand, somehow I’ve managed to not take any pictures of it.
So for now I’ve bodged it together and blocked it off while I’ve ordered a cheap new one from eBay.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Pics of the new EGR going on would be nice ;) Another thing on the list of things to do on mine

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Pics of the new EGR going on would be nice ;) Another thing on the list of things to do on mine
Pretty easy to access. I think it comes on Wednesday so will fit it then.

cleaned this pipe as it’s usually choked up, wasn’t too bad but my God was It a messy job, in fact I would advise get someone else to do it 😂

C89F21EE-7205-40AE-A4B8-CF9F62C462F2.jpeg

some oven cleaner and a full can of brake cleaner.
1784F83C-D35E-47AA-88EC-5AE852967869.jpeg

It got that messy after this point I didn’t take any pictures of the during just the after 🤢😂

I had also moved from doing it in the kitchen to outside as I managed to get carbon deposit all up the tiles and over the kitchen cabinet.

29431109-F3F9-41EC-93E4-256F39B1F6A5.jpeg

B8FB0721-BD89-4CB1-B8E6-40B84348E562.jpeg

D47D2747-320F-4615-A7F4-DED837A71AA9.jpeg

hateful grubby manky messy horrible task that it was.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've done VWs before using the mr muscle (other oven cleaners are available) letting it soak and then getting the pressure washer out and flushing it out. Usually aiming the exit at next doors garage and coating it with black s###

Did you remove the wiper and scuttle to get better access or pretty doable without removing it?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I've done VWs before using the mr muscle (other oven cleaners are available) letting it soak and then getting the pressure washer out and flushing it out. Usually aiming the exit at next doors garage and coating it with black s###

Did you remove the wiper and scuttle to get better access or pretty doable without removing it?
It’s very good access on these no need to take that off unless you’re doing suspension bits really.
2 x 8mm bolts off of the engine hoist bracket and wiggle the pipe out.
Egr itself is 3 x 8mm bolts. Easily accessible with a deep 8mm on a small ratchet.
Egr might need a wiggle to come out.
Or if anything like mine will come out in 2 bits 😂

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Added the curtain between the cab and rear for a bit of privacy when the campers rocking in a lay-by of an evening. Quite chuffed with it. Bought it for a vivaro, just had to cut the rail down a touch but fits well. Has buttons down the side so it doesn’t flap in the wind, and little buttoned tie backs sewn into itself. Quite nifty!
18AFDEB8-2826-4D27-92CF-2BECD8924037.jpeg
0CDD9D88-AD64-4FC6-B58E-E6B0C12EFA2D.jpeg

Not going to get a chance to make the bed or much else this week so the temp floor will stay down.
New EGR should be here before I go away. I’ve also ordered the correct centre caps for the wheels as they where bugging me.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
New EGR came today. Definitely a cheaper made part, although I recon the controller part is interchangeable, so if need be I can use the old one on the new one
Old one back out and as you can see very broken
5AF24FA4-E713-41DA-AB53-B4F2AA4696A4.jpeg

New one installed:
909ABD47-EA99-4EEF-9FA1-C01AD25C29BF.jpeg

Took it a spin and still had eml light showing so took the van a jont over to my mates plugged it into the computer and reset. An hours drive afterwards and no lights. Good to go I think!

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Took a trip down south to Silverstone in the van a couple weeks ago. Faultless journey besides the van still being started on the sniff.
66A9D3A1-56FD-4F70-B2D6-176078C7D99F.jpeg

Great upgrade having the 197 seats in much more comfortable and having isofix I could fire in a baby seat and take my niece and nephew a drive out in the van, both of them absolutely loved the van they thought it was a space ship! 😂
few pics on the road:
811565F4-7F3B-44D0-BE4C-DA3F2ECE55DE.jpeg

I had been helping a couple of friends at Silverstone for japfest with a launch of their clothing and media brand, was a really great couple days. Then I was off to London to visit family and headed back up to Newcastle to visit more family. Also took in some local roads.
BCB6F2FF-DC63-42C5-8082-2EF841229671.jpeg
79B8E117-6A4B-449E-A173-99424B3DE45E.jpeg
0A53C122-9BF4-4191-A383-C4F40928EC2B.jpeg

since I’ve been back I was seriously considering putting the van on air ride, but after a lot of research and costing I just don’t fancy it, probably cost me the same as what the van cost in parts and fabrication alone and then left with the headache of leaking bags and lines etc.. just doesn’t seem worth it. It’s an itch I’m still wanting to scratch so might buy something in the future that’s already been done, but not this vehicle for the time being.

So for now I’m back on the custom coilover coilover idea again. Still need to mock the front up and will most likely get that done this weekend or next.
But I tried some standard 197 springs in the rear along with my Gaz shocks, and although they are very loose when jacked up, going along the road seems ok, also gives me the desired height on the rear.
Difference in 197 spring vs modus:
39DB3C96-2F81-46BE-959E-4E47FF5BC23F.jpeg

F610652D-DFDB-4A3D-A607-0F908C295B5D.jpeg
E736E019-E46E-4958-ACC5-9BD15255862B.jpeg
379515CD-3B7A-4C0F-8FBA-07BF459F33F2.jpeg

I’m also going to mock up to have a rear stub axel spacer made up, shouldn’t be too much of an issue for the spacer itself, more just the bolts might be a bit spendy, but we will get there.
Once I’ve sorted the ride height I can start looking at tidying up the bodywork and either swap wheels for something else or do a bit of a refurb on these.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Not really managed to do a great deal with this due to having a fairly busy life at the minute. I’ve fired a load of miles on it though and it takes it like a champ.

Front tyres where needing replacement and I always look out for wheels with tyres for sale before buying tyres. Thankfully my friend was breaking a Megane and I got some r26 wheels with good toyo t1r and ps4s on. Bit overkill on the van but job jobbed!

Wheels are in drastic need of a refurb, so much so I set about the kerb rash with some hammerite and a brush earlier today to at least make them all black.

hate black wheels, they will eventually go grey or silver when I get the time.

07F9D371-CC70-43B5-B3BD-11AE95D2E861.jpeg
ABA2AA1E-4DB6-45DF-91AD-0C0703ABC31E.jpeg
5D7E2973-EB06-4341-B7D3-8E0D32F792E6.jpeg
865928A3-3767-40A6-8625-DF210F3C0E1B.jpeg
23C20469-C2F0-46AB-9A57-B4DC1E49BB8E.jpeg

Had to run a spacer on the rear too to stop the wheels hitting the axel, but besides that it drives great with the 18s on.

I keep saying it but next job is to modify the coilovers I have for it, going to try my best to get that done this week or next weekend as this is coming down to CS Festival too as a sort of support vehicle!

I do love this thing, does everything I need it to and fairly good MPG. Still haven’t finished the rear of it as I’ve been wrapped up with other stuff, but I will hopefully find some time before heading south again!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive got normal meg offset wheels to fit to mine with semi slicks for Blyton. I was hoping to use the 10mm spacers ive used in the past on the ph1 whees, will need to offer up and see i guess. My current rear wheels are et50 iirc so might be hinting at 15mm spacer.